Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20950 Discussions

Display has white sparkles every few days that only a reboot seems to resolve (A770 16GB)

Kaitain
Beginner

Around once a week, my display will suddenly have faint white pixels that appear and disappear, seemingly at random, and will be particularly visible on black backgrounds. So far I haven't found any way to get rid of them other than a reboot, which has (so far) always solved the problem.

The sparkles look like they're individual pixels, and are sparsely distributed across the entire monitor (i.e. not just confined to one area, one application window etc). They might even have some kind of regular/geometric distribution; it's too hard to say.

I haven't found any way to trigger them reliably, although on two of the three occasions I've noticed them in the last month, I had recently had a window up related to Apple iTunes. (On one occasion the full app itself was open, on another I'd just had an update popup for the app.) That might be a coincidence. 

In the attached video, the static white specks are probably just dust motes at high contrast; it's the flashing white pixels that are the artefacts of interest.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MUC
Valued Contributor II

What connection is used here? DisplayPort or HDMI? With or without adapter? Please specify the display device and cable type.

0 Kudos
Kaitain
Beginner

Connected to a Dell S2718D monitor, via HDMI 2.0 cable. No adapter.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Kaitain

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I know these types of flashing pixels on your monitor can be a cause for concern, and I will be glad to help you with this issue.

As a first general recommendation and to make sure there are no issues with a corrupted driver installation, I would advise you to use Display Driver Uninstaller to delete our current driver and then update or reinstall the latest driver 31.0.101.5081

In addition, please test different HDMI cables, if the issue persists, and if possible test a different monitor to discard a possible defective monitor as the cause of the problem.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Kaitain

We provided some troubleshooting steps to help you with your display issue in our previous post, and we wanted to check if you were able to perform the advised steps, please let us know if the issue still happens.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello Kaitain

We hope the recommendations we provided in our previous post helped you resolve the issues with the artifacts you were experiencing on your display, if you happen to still experience this problem feel free to open a new topic. Since there are no further comments under this thread it will be no longer monitored by Intel.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos