Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

Doom Eternal Gamepass - Crashing due to failed to allocate video memory - Intel HD 520

PRoqu1
Novice

The Doom Eternal version featured in the Xbox Gamepass for PC, released in 3rd December displays a crash before reaching the main menu (while loading, before reaching the main menu).  The crash error is  the "Failed to allocate video memory"

Specs:

i5 6200u - Intel HD 520 -8gb ram - win 10 20h2

Tested with the following driver versions

27.220.100. 8236 (beta)

I don't know if the version of the xbox game pass is updated cause i though the issue with the memory allocation had been solved in the past for this game.

I appreciate some clarification on the matter. 

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
PRoqu1
Novice

Thank you for the reply.

I have provided the information requested as well as a dxdiag generated after the game crashed.

0 Kudos
PRoqu1
Novice

Attached screenshots of the related issue

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You haven't provided the SSU report; you've provided two copies of the DXDIAG report.

...S

0 Kudos
PRoqu1
Novice

Thanks for pointing it out, that was in fact a mistake with the file uploaded. SSU is now correctly attached

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

So I looked at your report. I see two issues:

1. Doom Eternal requires 8GB but you typically have less than 4GB available. Doom Wants to allocate a lot of VRAM up front and there doesn't appear to be enough.
  2. Doom Eternal requests at lease a GTX 1050 graphics solution and you have only Intel HD Graphics. My opinion is that you do not have the graphics horsepower necessary to play this game. You can add a graphics card to your PC and get there.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
PRoqu1
Novice
1- My system has 8 gb ram and the gpu has 4 gb shared memory. Through msi config and task manager it's possible to see that the game isn't using all the memory avaliable

2- Yes, but Intel is providing updates through the drivers and it was debated here before that the game was running after those updates and after the game was updated itself. But i think it was the steam version and not the xbox gamepass version which may differ from the above
0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello PRoqu1,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

I would like to share with you some information that may be helpful.

In the following website you can find the games that are fully validated to work with your processor/graphics and the recommended settings for the best gaming experience.

If certain game is not listed that means that the game might not be available for your hardware.

This behavior was already fixed with previous driver versions. In case that you would like to confirm that please check the following link.

Therefore, we need to consider other factors that may be causing this behavior such as the platform, hardware limitations, and customizations from the computer manufacturer.

I would recommend checking with the game or platform developer to report this behavior.

Additionally, I would appreciate if you could confirm the following:

• Do you experience any error/crashes with other games from Game Pass* platform?
  • Is there any other game experiencing a similar behavior?

Esteban D.

Intel Technical Support Technician  

0 Kudos
PRoqu1
Novice
Thanks for the response.

I tried launching it with that beta driver you've linked that suppostly fixed that issue but had the same problem. I have tried as well with the more recent drivers.

I've also tried with my other laptop, i3 1005G1 +UHD G1 + 8 gb ram and had the exact same issue.

Maybe the xbox game pass version isn't the same as the steam one, maybe it doesn't contain the same updates

0 Kudos
PRoqu1
Novice
Ps: No, other games from xbox game pass run fine and I didn't have similar issues with other games
0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello PRoqu1,

Thank you so much for your response.

Based on the behavior and as this is the only game that is experiencing this behavior in the platform, I would consider that the factors stated above may be the ones causing this situation.

The fact that no other games are experiencing the “crashes” and that it occurred in other device using the Xbox Game Pass* platform caught my attention.

I would like investigate this for you. We will provide an update as soon as possible.

• Have you report this behavior to game/platform developer yet?
  • Please provide the model of the second laptop tested.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
PRoqu1
Novice
Indeed. It seems, apparently, that the update on steam that reverted/changed the the ram allocation it's not present on the gamepass version or the issue was introduced in this specific version.

I have not reported the situation yet to the game developer .
The second laptop model is an HP Laptop 15s-fq1034np
The first i used was an HP 450g3

0 Kudos
Esteban_D_Intel

Hello PRoqu1,

Thank you so much for your response.

We will try to replicate this behavior using a similar configuration.

I will provide an update in this thread as soon as possible.

Esteban D.

0 Kudos
PRoqu1
Novice
0 Kudos
Bryce_Intel

@PRoqu1 This has been escalated internally and the tracking case# is 14013491709 for reference. We'll provide more updates when they're made available, though please set expectations that this could take a while to assign resources and investigate. Appreciate your time and patience on the matter!

.:Bryce:.

0 Kudos