Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Double images and flashing display screen

MikeQuattlebaum
Beginner

For several months now I have been experiencing a display problem where after a few minutes of use the screen starts to flash with double images in the colors of reddish pink and green . I am using an Asus VivoBook S running the latest version of Windows and Windows Edge . I have all the latest Microsoft updates as well as Intel updates but the problem persists . Some updates have cured the flashing problem for a few days at a time but it always returns . Just now the flashing has become so bad I just have to turn off my laptop for a few minutes and then turn it back on ...but the problem is still there . I have searched all over the internet for fixes but nothing has helped so I decided to join this community in search of a resolution . Thanks !

0 Kudos
24 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @MikeQuattlebaum

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. In order to investigate this further, could you please help us with the following information?

1- We understand that this behavior has been happening for several months. Did the system work fine at any point? Or is this issue happening since the very first day that you got the system?

2- If this worked fine before at any point, do you know if there was any hardware or software change (Windows, drivers, or app updates) related to the point when this behavior started?

3- Could you please provide a short video showing the behavior?

4- Is this behavior happening when using any app or when on Windows® Desktop? Or is happening with specific app/tools?

5- We understand "Asus* VivoBook S" is a series of laptops. Is this happening in the built-in display, on an external display, or both?

6- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MikeQuattlebaum
Beginner

I ran the INTEL SSU program and attached the file below .

1- We understand that this behavior has been happening for several months. Did the system work fine at any point? Or is this issue happening since the very first day that you got the system? The system worked fine for 2 years and the flashing started with Microsoft updates about 6 months ago . I just got several Microsoft updates the past 3 days and the problem starts within a few minutes after I turn on the computer .
2- The problem seems to be between Microsoft and Intel graphic display settings . Sometimes I will get a graphics update from Intel and the problem disappears completely for a while ...but it always starts again after a few days .
3- I have very limited computer abilities and don't know how to make a video .

4- Built in display only .

6- I ran the Intel tool as you mentioned and the results are attached .

Thanks for your help !

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello MikeQuattlebaum

Thank you very much for your response and for all the details provided.

Based on the Intel® SSU report, we noticed that the system is running the latest Intel® generic graphics driver: version 27.20.100.9316.

The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer (OEM), in this case, ASUS*. OEM drivers are handpicked and include customized features and solutions to platform-specific issues, especially on systems like this one that comes with dual-graphics (Intel® + Nvidia*). 

In order to check if this behavior could be due to the system requiring to run only customized OEM drivers, let's try a clean install of the graphics driver using the customized driver provided by ASUS* to see if this helps with the behavior. Please follow these steps:

1- Download the latest ASUS* driver update from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel Graphic Driver Version V26.20.100.7325*.

2- Disconnect from the internet to make sure the driver will not be automatically updated by Windows.

3- Right-click the Windows Start button. Select Device Manager.

4- Expand the section Display adapters and look for the Intel Graphics entry in Device Manager.

5- Right-click on Intel Graphics and click Uninstall.

6- In the device removal dialog box, check Delete the driver software for this device and click OK.

7- Restart the computer after the uninstallation is complete.

8- Open Device Manager once more.

9- Very Important: Expand the Display Adapter section again:

• If the graphics entry still displays Intel Graphics UHD 620, repeat steps 5-7.
  • If the graphics entry displays Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, run the previously downloaded file to install the driver.

10- Reboot the computer when prompted.

11- We also recommend installing the NVIDIA® customized driver provided by ASUS* website for your computer model. For installation instructions and considerations, please contact ASUS* Support for proper guidance.

If the issue persists, please try the following and report back the outcome:

1- We understand that the behavior occurs on the built-in display. Please test with an external display using a straight-through connection (e.g. HDMI-to-HDMI) with a single cable to see if the behavior is the same.

2- Please run the proper version of Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool (32 or 64 bit) to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

3- Please provide a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link.

4- Provide a new Intel® SSU report (showing OEM ASUS* driver confirmed as installed). To run this new report, please follow the same steps in our previous post making sure that the "Everything" checkbox is checked.

5- We understand the situation about providing us a video showing the behavior, no problem. Could it be possible for you to provide some pictures? (maybe pictures taken with a cellphone?).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MikeQuattlebaum
Beginner

I installed the ASUS NVIDEA download but when I tried to install the graphics driver version you suggested it would not install and I got a message saying that version was not compatible with my laptops operating system . 

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Unfortunately, the Intel driver installer uses the Incompatible O/S message as a catch-all for a whole slew of errors.

Did you completely uninstall the previous version and reboot before you tried to install this downloaded version? 

...S

0 Kudos
MikeQuattlebaum
Beginner

I have to tell you I have minimal computer skills . Yes I did the complete uninstall and reboot with the internet off on reboot . When I try to open the zip file for the prescribed version there is no "setup" or "execute" option . When I open the zip file there is an extract option but it only saves it to downloads file . I am at a loss at this point .

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

That's fine; let it extract all files to the download folder. There should then be an EXE file for performing the install.

...S

0 Kudos
MikeQuattlebaum
Beginner

There is no EXE file and that is what puzzles me . I have gone to the Asus site and downloaded the prescribed update version using the "save" option and placed it on my desktop where it appears as a zip file . When I open the zip file there is not an EXE option or  setup option or run option . There is an extract option but when I click it all it does is re-extract the file back to the same file in a replacement file mode .  

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

What files *are* included? You've never provided a screenshot. Turn on file extension display before taking screenshot.

...S

0 Kudos
MikeQuattlebaum
Beginner

Here is a screenshot and thanks for your patience .

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Double-click on the file named igxpin (it is actually igxpin.exe).

...S

0 Kudos
MikeQuattlebaum
Beginner

Yes I had tried that before ...here is a picture of the result when I click the suggested link .

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
Well, *that's* a helpful error display - not!
Hhmmm, try right-clicking on that file and select Run as Administrator.
...S
0 Kudos
MikeQuattlebaum
Beginner

I right clicked on the igxpin as suggested and this is the menu that appears . I am the administrator listed for this computer .

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, let's back up. What package did you download (provide the link to it)?

[Aside: You were supposed to download the package for the Intel Graphics engine, not the NVIDIA Graphics engine.]

Did this package come as a ZIP file or as an EXE?

...S

0 Kudos
MikeQuattlebaum
Beginner

This is what I downloaded ....

1- Download the latest ASUS* driver update from this link and save the file on the computer: Intel Graphic Driver Version V26.20.100.7325*.

But I have never been able to install it for some reason  . 

As for Nvidea I am running GeForce MX150 , Driver version 451.67 .

0 Kudos
MikeQuattlebaum
Beginner

I forgot to write it but the Intel Graphic Driver version V26.20.100.7325 I downloaded came as a zip file .

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am unclear on why that file was chosen (@AndrewG_Intel ???). Try using the latest (V27.20.100.8682) package provided.

...S

0 Kudos
MikeQuattlebaum
Beginner

I just downloaded the update you suggested and it seems to help . Here is a picture of the actual flashing ... I hope you can see the pinkish red color . Yes that was Andrews suggestion when I 1st started on this . The update seems to have had some effect in a positive direction . Now the flashing is just steady but much slower than previously . Before the flashing would get faster and faster with the pinkish red colors getting larger and larger the longer I left my laptop on . Now it is just slow and steady as shown in the attachment . FYI ...my laptop has been running continuously now since 6 AM this morning . The good news is I can actually use my laptop now whereas before I would just have to shutdown as the screen was unviewable . Any other possible solutions ?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I hate to say it, but this is looking to me more and more like it's a hardware issue with this laptop's display. Cables from laptop proper into lid are flexed all the time and only so many flexes are supported before you could have problems with the cables. In this case, it looks to me like a case I had where the cable had come loose and just needed to be more-firmly plugged into the motherboard.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos