Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Drivers won't update for no apparent reason

CaseyDeCoder
Beginner

I seriously cannot believe that I have to make a post about this.

All I would like to do is to update my drivers. Using the Intel Driver & Support Assistant, I've downloaded the updates, but when I try to install I immediately get a popup that I need to restart my PC. No loading, no refreshing, no nothing.

So I restart my PC, but of course my old drivers are still there. It seems simple but I can't find anything on this issue, nor do I get any helpful messages where Intel is concerned.

If someone knows how to get around this I would be very grateful.

Install Problems.gif

Btw I'm not on the latest windows update (because that is curse-wording up as well), could that have anything to do with it?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello CaseyDeCoder,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows- 

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Have you tried to install them manually? Some of them seem to ask if you "agree"

3. Have you accepted the "notification" for the second driver?

4. Have you tried to install them manually?

5. Have you tried with other browsers (Firefox or Edge)?

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
CaseyDeCoder
Beginner

Thank you for your time Deivid.

1. I'm happy to do it, but what exactly would this accomplish? What information am I looking for and what should I do with it?
2. How may I install them manually (if you mean clicking the "Install" buttons instead of the "Install All" button, I've tried that.)
3. I made the gif on a whim, but I can assure you that having the notification for the second driver checked or not makes no difference.
4. -
5. Not yet, I'll get back to you on this one.

0 Kudos
CaseyDeCoder
Beginner

Forgot to reply, but 5 didn't work.

I'm pretty disappointed in this service. Is there another way for me to update my drivers other than through the Support Assistant?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hi @CaseyDeCoder 

Check the box "I understand and wish to proceed" under the Graphics Driver and then install each driver separately (instead on "Install all").

Leon

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Before I say anything else, remember that iDSA is mostly intended to support Intel products. Support for 3rd-party platforms is supported but can be device-limited (see Intel Driver & Support Assistant FAQ and especially Intel Driver & Support Assistant Exclusions for more information).

Ok, that said, you have the following sources for driver updates:

1. The driver update app provided by your board or system manufacturer (if any).
  2. The drivers provided for manual download and install from your board or system manufacturer's web site. These can notoriously get out of date pretty quick; most board and system manufacturers abandon their products pretty quickly.
  3. The the iDSA application (recognizing what devices it is and isn't going to support).
  4. The drivers found on the Intel Download Center site (https://downloadcenter.intel.com).
  5. The drivers provided for automatic update via Windows Update (this includes updates invoked from Device Manager).
  6. The drivers provided for manual (optional) update via Windows Update.
  7. The drivers provided for manual update in the Windows Update catalog.

The difference between using iDSA and using the Intel Download Center is that, in the Intel Download Center, you must manually search for, download and invoke the installation of the driver packages.

Because I (as a volunteer) help intel with support issues, I force myself to run iDSA on a few of my systems. I dislike its failures and quirks and I especially *hate* the fact that it does not automate the installation process, That is, I *still* have to intervene in the installation process (i.e. step through each installer's steps and scenes) and I am forced to perform reboots between drivers when this is totally unnecessary 99% of the time (i.e. one reboot, after performing all driver installations/updates identified, is all that is really necessary). As a result, with the few exceptions where I force myself to use iDSA, I update the rest manually.

I am a *very* sophisticated user with many years of firmware, application and device driver development experience under my belt. While working at Intel (I am retired now), I was for a number of years responsible for the development of the driver CDs provided for Intel's Desktop Board products. I completely understand how driver updates should be handled and how driver update automation should be done and how totally screwed up the whole darned industry is in regards to this. I pity the unsophisticated users because this whole process is broken and represents nothing but confusion. Windows Update should be handling this completely but it doesn't - and having this wouldn't be a panacea, unfortunately. Drivers are just too buggy (believe me, Intel isn't the worst, but it certainly can appear that way with the breadth of Intel's product offerings). There are times (way too often) where you don't want an update because of a some particular bug or inconvenience it creates (Microsoft's support for managing this control is pretty poor). Secondly, talking about unintended consequences, you see things like (for example) what is happening with Windows 11, where, in order to get things under control, the processor generations being supported are being severely curtailed. 

Off my soapbox now. Not sure I answered your question completely; I have listed all the sources but really nothing more than that.

...S

DeividA_Intel

Hello CaseyDeCoder, 

In order to address your question, try the following:

1. You can download and install the drivers manually from the download center:

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download-center/home.html

2. You can get in contact with the laptop or motherboard manufacturer to get the drivers and the instructions to install them.

3. Try to disable any antivirus that you have enabled.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello CaseyDeCoder,  

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello CaseyDeCoder,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos