Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

Dual 4k@60Hz using Thunderbolt 4 docking station not available

szymii
Novice

Hello,

I've got Vostro 14 5410 laptop with Intel i7 processor onboard. That model is equipped with Thunderbolt 4 port. I connected the laptop to a Lenovo Universal Thunderbolt 4 docking station (40B0) which supports up to 4 x 4K@60Hz monitors. I use only two 4K monitors which are compliant with DP 1.2 standard and connected to the dock with DP cables.

Initially the setup was working fine, I mean both screens was working at 4K@60Hz. But after a BIOS/ Windows drivers update screens' refresh rate have been degraded to 30Hz only. 

I updated the dock's firmware to the latest version. I reinstalled the most recent Intel drivers to replace the ones updated by Windows Update. Also, I tested restoring BIOS settings to factory and BIOS defaults. But the issue still persists. 

The dock has been successfully tested with another laptops. So right now I don't have any reason to think it's cranky.

It would be great if somebody could know how to troubleshoot that and restore dual 4K@60Hz mode on the laptop 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello szymii, I just received another update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we can see, based on the GFX report, that the desired resolution is being detected by the GFX 4K @60Hz. So, considering there is docking/adapter via Thunderbolt and the issue started after BIOS/Windows updates, what we recommend to do as the next step, will be to get in contact directly with Dell Support to report this scenario and for further assistance on this matter:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us 

We recommend the usage of straight connections no adapter/dockings as this could vary the resolutions, compatibility, and other issues.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

17 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You said 'installed most recent Intel drivers' - do you mean latest from the Intel site or latest from the Dell site? I hope you mean Dell site; you shouldn't be using drivers from Intel site as Dell may have customized the driver.

...S

0 Kudos
szymii
Novice

I tried both with no success. Currently I'm using Dell's ones - v. 31.0.101.3616 which are the latest one according to Support for Vostro 14 5410 | Drivers & Downloads | Dell UK. All other drivers, system software including BIOS are also updated to the latest versions.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I presume you've installed the Intel Thunderbolt driver package also included in that list? Hhmmm... What else do you have plugged into the dock, power and xxxx???

0 Kudos
szymii
Novice

Yes, Intel-Thunderbolt-Controller-Driver_TBTC4_WIN_1.41.1335.0_A14 is installed. It's the latest one. 

I've got connected the following devices:

1. 2 x 4K Philips monitors by displayport 1.2 cables (one display is temp disabled in Windows as a workaround)

2. a USB HID reciever 

3. a USB webcam

4. USB headphones

and a power source.

But it makes no difference when I disconnect all USB devices from the dock.

Currenltly as the workaround, I'm having one monitor connected with the dock while the second one is connected directly to the laptop with an HDMI cable. With this setup I'm able to run both displays at 4K@60Hz

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

szymii, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the problem of not being able to use Dual 4k@60Hz with Thunderbolt 4 docking station persists and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
szymii
Novice

Hi Alberto,

yes, the problem still persists. I really would be greatful if somebody could have any clue how to fix it. 

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

szymii, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the monitors?

What is the model of the docking station?

Are you using adapters or converters to connect the docking station to the computer?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes, besides the BIOS update, that might cause this issue?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
szymii
Novice

Thanks a lot Alberto! I was got left by Dell and Lenovo support. So your help is even more appreciated.

What is the model of the monitors?

Philips 276E8V

What is the model of the docking station?

Lenovo Universal Thunderbolt 4 docking station (40B0)

Are you using adapters or converters to connect the docking station to the computer?

No. Just using Thunderbolt 4 Passive Cable (0.7-meter, 27.5-inch) included with the dock.

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes, besides the BIOS update, that might cause this issue?

Only installing Windows and driver updates. But I verified that Windows update installed proper version of drivers published by Dell for my laptop model.

Which Windows* version are you using?

Windows 10 Pro 21H2 (Build 19044.2251)

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

This laptop is my work environment. I've got another PC - Lenovo Legion Y740-17 with Thunderbolt 3 port on board. Despite it doesn't support power delivery because it's a gaming laptop it's been tested it works perfectly with dual display at 4k@60Hz + internal FHD display.

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs"

You'll find the report attached. In some places I withheld some not relevant sensitive data to prevent sharing them for public acces. The rest of the report is as as.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

szymii, You are very welcome. Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Accroding to the SSU report and as you mentioned, currently, the graphics driver version installed on your computer is 31.0.101.3616, which is provided by Dell and should be the proper driver for your platform since it was customized by them.

Based on that, we will do further research on this matter in order to try to find a possible solution for this scenario. But first, even though you said that you already test the latest graphics driver version provided by Intel®, just to make sure, was driver version 31.0.101.3790 the one you tested?

If not, please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions on the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Once you get the chance please let us know the results so we can further assist you with this topic.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
szymii
Novice

Hi Albert,

I don't remember what version of drivers downloaded from Intel I tested. Hence, I followed your suggestion and executed clean installation of Intel(R) Iris(R) Xe Graphics 31.0.101.3790 driver you shared the link for. Before the installation I had unistalled Dell's display driver togheter with uninstalling its software in offline mode. 

Unfortunately I didn't make any change. The issue still persists.

Also I found there was firmware update available for my docking station. Thus, I updated the dock and restarted it to apply the change. Also it didn't help at all. 

Looking forward for your further suggestions.

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi szymii, Thank you very much for letting us know those results.

We are sorry to hear the issue persists after trying the troubleshooting steps provided previously.

We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello szymii, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on this case, we just wanted to check if it is possible for you to provide the Intel® graphics report so we can verify the resolution seen by the GFX card?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Additionally, please verify the details shown in the link below in reference to "Using Video Cable Adapters, Splitters and/or Docking Stations in Computers not Manufactured by Intel":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000026412/graphics.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
szymii
Novice

Hi Albert,

Attached you'll find the report from Intel Graphics Command Center. 

Regarding the second KB article 

• Use a direct connection with a single cable that has the same connection type on both ends (HDMI to HDMI, DP to DP, etc.).
    Applied
  • Check the display cable to ensure the cable is good and that it isn't the source of the display problem.
    Verified. Also verified monitors are enabled DisplayPort 1.2
  • Update the graphics driver to the latest version. Contact your system manufacturer to check if there is a graphics driver update available for your system.
    Done before installing generic Intel driver
  • Check if Windows* and your BIOS is up to date. Check with the system manufacturer to see if updates are available for your system.
    Installed
  • Install the latest generic graphics driver released by Intel from the Download Center.
    Done
  • If using a docking station, update the dock driver to the latest version. Contact your system manufacturer to check if there is a driver update available for the dock.
    Firmware updated. No other drivers available

Regards,

Simon

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hi szymii, Thank you very much for your response.

We will continue with our research on this matter. As soon as I get additional information, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello szymii, I just received another update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we can see, based on the GFX report, that the desired resolution is being detected by the GFX 4K @60Hz. So, considering there is docking/adapter via Thunderbolt and the issue started after BIOS/Windows updates, what we recommend to do as the next step, will be to get in contact directly with Dell Support to report this scenario and for further assistance on this matter:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us 

We recommend the usage of straight connections no adapter/dockings as this could vary the resolutions, compatibility, and other issues.

Regards,

Albert R.

szymii
Novice

Hello Albert,

I had already contacted Dell support before I opened this support thread. They refused to diagnose anything as it's not clear for them wheather the issue is related to the computer or to the dock. I was very disappointed with quality of their support. They didn't even try to diagnose anything.

I cannot send the dock to Lenovo service becasue it works properly with other computer. So my feeling is the service will determine the same and send me back the dock without fixing anything. 

Regarding your statement 

So why the hell Intel is working on Thunderbolt standard? What is it done for? Why there are so many computers or docking stations  vendors implementing Thunderbolt standard in their devices? Why is it the standard at all if various compliant devices cannot work properly with each other? 

Opening this thread was my last resort option for diagnosing that issue throughly enough to find a software conflict or determine which device might be failed. Or maybe it's only about Intel software which works inproperly but nobody can/ wants diagnose it properly. Or maybe it is Microsoft's fault they has broke something in the OS? Who knows. I cannot blame you personally. But definitely in this world something has stopped working properly. If there's a complex issue to solve everybody washes up their hand. It's so easy. Just yet another single annoyed user. Who cares?! Who will know?! 

It looks like my only and final solution for the issue it to not choose Dell's and Intel's solutions at all in the future. I'll keep that in mind. 

Thanks for spending time on that. 

Regards,

Just another annoyed user

Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

szymii, Thank you very much for your response.

We are really sorry to hear the issue persists and that Dell is not able to further asist you with this scenario.

From our side, we did everything that is in our hands to try to find a proper solution for this matter. We completely understand and respect your position on this situation.

For Intel® all the comments and suggestions provided by our clients are very important. For that reason, I will send your feedback and observations to the proper department for them to be aware of your remarks in order to keep improving the customer's experience while using Intel® products.

Any other inquiries, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos