Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

ERR_GFX_D3D_INIT - Iris XE graphics

RevKrisz
Beginner

Hi!

I have a Lenovo ThinkBook 15 G2 ITL notebook, with i5-1135G7 CPU, and Iris XE graphics.

My problem is, when I'm playing with the legally bought GTA ONLINE, after some time i got an error message mentioned in the title. In the event viewer I see an error telling me, "display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered". But even thoe the driver is "recovered", the game exists instantly.

When we bought the PC, it worked perfectly, for about a month, and then we had started getting this message. The notebook came, with a preinstalled version of Win 10 Pro. When the problem first occured, we had 20H2. A clean install of 21H1 did not resolve the problem.

The driver version was 27.20.100.9415. I have updated it to ...9466, but the error still exists.

If I try, to install an older version, from the support page, I get an error that, the driver was not made for this version of the OS.

The CPU does not overheating, because the laptop has a 4 vent fan under it, which keeps the unit under of 80°C. (80 degrees is also very rare, mostly around 75)

Does anyone know, what can I do with it, to get it work somehow?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @RevKrisz

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding this error message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered", it is worth mentioning that we released a Display driver containing a fix to address multiple causes of this error. Released in April 2016 (version 15.40.22.4424), all drivers since that date include this fix. Other causes of the error may exist, so we recommend maintaining your drivers up to date. For more details, please check this article >> Error Message: Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered

We noticed the system was running driver version "27.20.100.9415", which is a driver that is not available in Intel® Download Center (perhaps a driver from Microsoft* Update service?). Also, we noticed you tested with the latest Intel® generic graphics driver version "27.20.100.9466".

We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers (e.g.: Dell*, Lenovo, HP* ASUS*, etc.) can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend using the driver software provided by your computer manufacturer (OEM). This is also very important for laptops and especially if the device has "dual graphics" (Intel + NVIDIA*/AMD*).

As per the Lenovo* website, the latest customized (OEM) graphics driver for the ThinkBook* 15 G2 ITL Laptop is "Intel® VGA Driver version 27.20.100.8984".

We recommend trying a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link but using the driver from Lenovo* website.

In addition, you may check https://gameplay.intel.com/ for recommended game settings based on your CPU model.

If the behavior persists, our recommendation is to check this further with Lenovo* Support for additional assistance, debugging, and for newer customized drivers.

Note:

The error message when trying to install old drivers could be expected when there are limitations and or restrictions due to OEM drivers vs generic drivers, or DCH drivers vs non-DCH drivers. You may try the Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers method to attempt installing previous drivers. For more details, please review Error Message: Computer Manufacturer Graphics Driver Detected.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @RevKrisz

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding this error message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered", it is worth mentioning that we released a Display driver containing a fix to address multiple causes of this error. Released in April 2016 (version 15.40.22.4424), all drivers since that date include this fix. Other causes of the error may exist, so we recommend maintaining your drivers up to date. For more details, please check this article >> Error Message: Display Driver Stopped Responding and Has Recovered

We noticed the system was running driver version "27.20.100.9415", which is a driver that is not available in Intel® Download Center (perhaps a driver from Microsoft* Update service?). Also, we noticed you tested with the latest Intel® generic graphics driver version "27.20.100.9466".

We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers (e.g.: Dell*, Lenovo, HP* ASUS*, etc.) can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend using the driver software provided by your computer manufacturer (OEM). This is also very important for laptops and especially if the device has "dual graphics" (Intel + NVIDIA*/AMD*).

As per the Lenovo* website, the latest customized (OEM) graphics driver for the ThinkBook* 15 G2 ITL Laptop is "Intel® VGA Driver version 27.20.100.8984".

We recommend trying a Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link but using the driver from Lenovo* website.

In addition, you may check https://gameplay.intel.com/ for recommended game settings based on your CPU model.

If the behavior persists, our recommendation is to check this further with Lenovo* Support for additional assistance, debugging, and for newer customized drivers.

Note:

The error message when trying to install old drivers could be expected when there are limitations and or restrictions due to OEM drivers vs generic drivers, or DCH drivers vs non-DCH drivers. You may try the Clean Installation of Intel® Graphics Drivers method to attempt installing previous drivers. For more details, please review Error Message: Computer Manufacturer Graphics Driver Detected.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

RevKrisz
Beginner

Thanks for your help!

Your suggestion to use an older - but agreed by Lenovo - driver has solved my problem.

I hope this post will help to someone else too.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello RevKrisz

Thank you very much for your response. We are glad to know that the problem is solved. Also, since the thread has been marked as "Solved" we will proceed to close this inquiry now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored. It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos