Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Elitebook 840 G2 Problem with Intel HD Graphics

mrco84
Beginner
Hi everyone, I have a problem on an elitebook 840 g2 notebook with the Intel HD Graphics 5500 video card.
In practice, black gray vertical lines appear only on some web pages or on some windows pages, such as in the control panel.
In all other windows, they never appear.
I updated the BIOS, put an older one, updated the drivers to the latest version available on both the HP and Intel web sites, installed older drivers, left with the basic Windows drivers ... nothing.
At resolutions below the maximum 1920x1080 this never happens, only on high resolutions.
The operating system is windows 10, updated. If I use a linux live distro it doesn't happen, so I assume it's some driver problem or similar.
I also put a small video of the problem, so you can understand what happens.
Thanks and I hope to receive many answers!
https://youtu.be/wOflkLIQk-I
0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

This looks to me more like a hardware failure. If I was to hazard a guess (which I am never afraid to do!), I would say that there is a problem in the interface between the screen in the lid and the processor in the base of the laptop. A laptop can only be opened so many times. Sometimes, you can verify this by simply watching the screen while changing the angle of the lid.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
mrco84
Beginner

hi, thanks for the reply. I was also thinking about a hardware problem, but it does it ONLY with some web pages and when I open certain windows, not always and above all by lowering the resolution (eg 100x900) it does not. For example, in the video, you can see that as soon as I closed that web page the problem disappeared.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok. Some information about your machine would be helpful at this point. Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows and have it save the report to a file. Then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog below the edit box for the body of your response post, upload and attach this file to the response post.

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @mrco84

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos