Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20500 Discussions

Endless scan in Intel Driver & Support Assistant on Windows 11 (and presumably Windows 10)

Yariker
Novice

App Version: 21.6. 39.5
Environment: Windows 11 Version 21H2 (64-bit)

Hello. I have installed the most recent version of Intel Driver & Support Assistant on my NUC8i7HVB just to find that in hangs in an endless scan.

So I went to DSA service logs located at C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA\Logs\Service and found something interesting:

11/07/2021 18:04:01 -08:00 9308:6 Information DSAServiceCore.Controllers.Computer.SystemInformationController GetOperatingSystem_Computer () Detected current OS version: 10.0 (32-bit) { }
11/07/2021 18:04:02 -08:00	9308:13	Error	DSAServiceCore.Controllers.Configuration.DsaOperatingSystemController	GetComputerDsaOperatingSystem	()	System.InvalidOperationException: The input sequence contains no matching element||   at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)||   at DSAServiceCore.Controllers.Configuration.DsaOperatingSystemController.GetComputerDsaOperatingSystem(OsDetailsCollection dsaOperatingSystems, DetectedOperatingSystem detectedOperatingSystem)	{  }
11/07/2021 18:04:02 -08:00 9308:13 Error DSAServiceCore.Controllers.Session.PopulateSessionController Populate () Failed to associate detected computer OS to DSA OSes { }

So first of all, what I find suspicios is that DSA detected my OS as 32-bit. And secondly, it seems that DSA has an internal list of supported OSes, and my version wasn't in it, which is surprising.

And since I'm a programmer, and the log is verbose enough so I knew where to look at, I decompiled the DSACommonCore.dll, found where the bug was, and fixed it myself.

I have attached a patched version of this DLL for everyone having this issue.

Now, whoever from Intel is moderating this thread, please show the following to your programming lead.

In DSAServiceCore.Models.DetectedOperatingSystem constructor, you use WMI and a simple string comparison to determine whether the OS is 64 bit or not. This was a bad idea for two reasons. WMI was designed primarily for system administrators and automation, it is slow, error prone and loosely typed due to its internal DSL nature. For accessing system information, I would recommend to use Win32 API directly (or in this particular case, just a simple Environment.Is64BitOperatingSystem would work), but that's not my point. You hard-coded "64-bit" as a string, but WMI is localizable by default, so in other system languages this string would be different. So in order to fix this bug, you need to set ManagementScope's Locale to "MS_409" (i.e. en-US) in Intel.DSA.CommonCore.Controllers.Computer.WmiSearchController.WmiNamespace constructor.

In order to reproduce this bug, you need to set the System account language to any other than English. First, you need to change the Display langauge of the current Windows account. After that press Win+R and launch "intl.cpl", then go to Administrative, press Copy settings, and check Welcome screen and system accounts. Then reboot.

10 Replies
Monique_Intel

@Yariker   This is Monique with Intel and I am the Project Manager for the IDSA application.  Thank you for notifying us of the issues you have experienced as well as the additional information and explanation.  Our IDSA developer team is currently working on a fix and it will be published later this week.

Thank you for your input and assistance,

Monique with Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Monique_Intel

@Yariker    Our team released a fix today for the IDSA (version 21.6.39.7).  It should automatically update itself when you initiate the IDSA scan.  Please let me know if it scans as expected for you.

Thanks again for your patience,

Monique with Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Were you able to check the previous posts?  

Let us know if you still need assistance.  

Best regards,  

David G.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos
Yariker
Novice

Hello,

I can confirm that the latest version of DSA (21.6.39.7) recognizes my OS correctly as Windows 11 Pro 64-bit, 21H2 (10.0.22000). Thanks for a prompt fix!

One more thing though. The update status is now changed to "No supported driver or software updates are available for your system". Is this normal for Windows 11 and NUC8i7HVB?

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for the update. Please share with us a screenshot of the error, let us know if you did a clean install of the new DSA version and the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) results 

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
Yariker
Novice

I have reinstalled the DSA and run the scan again. You can find the screenshot and the SSU results attached.

JosueO_Intel

Hello Yariker, 

Thank you for the information provided, please provide us with the Intel® DSA log files located in the following direction:

• C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA.

Best regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
Yariker
Novice

Please find it attached as well.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello @Yariker

Thank you for the information provided. After looking at the reports, we noticed you're using an Intel® NUC Kit NUC8i7HVK and there are no drivers available for this model using Windows 11* yet. Since there are no (Win11) drivers posted on the Download center yet, the Intel® DSA will not recommend any updates yet. While we are working on making Windows 11 drivers available, you can keep using Windows 10 NUC drivers which should be compatible with Windows 11.

Once the drivers are available, they will be posted on our download center:

Best regards,  

David G.  

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.   

Best regards,  

David G. 

0 Kudos