Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

External monitor having sporadic flickering

DGuim3
Beginner

I'm having the same problem as described in this question https://forums.intel.com/s/question/0D70P0000069DwASAU/external-monitor-having-sporadic-flickering

The difference is that my is a laptop with an i5, the model name is Asus Vivobook x510ur

I followed the steps that the user idata mentioned but if I disable the intel graphics card I'm not able to connect at all with the external monitor. Besides that I tried several things, for example unistall all video adapter drivers and instal again, change the refresh hate of the external monitor, lower the resolution of the external monitor but anything seems to fix the problem

I found an error in the windows event viewer, this error happens every time that the computer is been turned on

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5916&SUBSYS_1AF01043&REV_02\3&11583659&0&10 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem84.inf

Class Guid: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Service: igfx

Lower Filters: 

Upper Filters: 

Problem: 0x15

Problem Status: 0x0

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Try a better quality cable (and no adapters).

Doc

0 Kudos
DGuim3
Beginner

There is no adapters I'm using only a hdmi cable, I also tried another cable but did not fix

0 Kudos
Max44
Beginner

If changing the refresh rate doesn't fix the flicker on the screen, it could be related to other factors. If you can, change the cable connecting your monitor to your computer. In some cases, a defective cable can cause the signal to break while being transmitted across the wire.

0 Kudos
DGuim3
Beginner

As I men​tioned in the reply of the first comment, I already tried different cables and the problem persist

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello DGuim3

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We would like to know if you still need assistance, if yes, could you please provide the following information?

1- Have you tested different monitors/displays? Please provide details:

2- Did this configuration work fine before? Was there any hardware, software or driver change?

3- External monitor/display brand and model:

4- Are you using adapters, docking stations or splitters?

5- DxDiag* report following these steps:

• In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.
  • In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.
  • Click on Save All Information.
  • Open the report.
  • Use the option "save all information" to save the .TXT file.
  • Attach the report .TXT file to this thread. 

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DGuim3
Beginner

1- Have you tested different monitors/displays? Please provide details:

Yes, I tested previosly on LG 23MB35VQ and currently on Samsung C27JG50, on both this error happen

2- Did this configuration work fine before? Was there any hardware, software or driver change?

No, this happens since I got the laptop 

3- External monitor/display brand and model:

Samsung C27JG50

4- Are you using adapters, docking stations or splitters?

No, only a HDMI cable. I tried a USB-C to HDMI adapter but the laptop did not recognize the adapter

5- DxDiag* report following these steps:

I attached the file

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello DGuim3

Thank you for your response and the report provided.

We would like to recommend you to try a clean installation of the graphics driver following the steps below:

1-  Download the latest Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) driver from ASUS* website and save it on the computer. Please select your specific system model, Windows® OS version and download the latest driver* available version V22.20.16.4771.03

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-15-X510UR/HelpDesk_Download/

2- Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update.

3- Uninstall the graphics driver from Windows® >> Apps & Features.

4-  Restart the computer.

5-  Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" >> if not, repeat steps 2 through 4.

6- If the adapter continues to be listed as "Intel HD Graphics" or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under "Programs and Features" for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

6.1- Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

6.2- In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.

6.3- Click on 'Uninstall'.

6.4- Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1 through 6.4 until the device gets listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

7- Install the driver that was downloaded in step 1.

8- Restart the computer.

9- Reconnect to the Internet.

10- If the issue persists, you can try the steps again using our latest generic driver available as a test, the driver version is 26.20.100.7870. You can download the driver using the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29426/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers?product=96551

Note: The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don’t lose features or customizations.

Regards,

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
DGuim3
Beginner

I tried both drivers and with manual instalation and instalation by the .exe file, the problem persist. Is there a place where the drivers log errors?

0 Kudos
DGuim3
Beginner

Just one more information, if I just plug in the monitor it seems to happen more frequently, after some time with monitor pluged in and laptop turned on it seems to have the issue less frequently

0 Kudos
DGuim3
Beginner

I monitored my system while the problem happened with intel GPA, please see the attached files. It could have important info

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello DGuim3

Thank you for your response and the details provided.

It is worth mentioning that we have tested this generic driver in a plethora of different devices and have not observed this flickering issue when using external displays, hence we suspect the issue is specific to this ASUS* system.

Since the issue persists after testing both drivers at this point our advice is to contact your laptop manufacturer and let them know that Intel couldn't reproduce the issue hence they should debug this from their side.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos