Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Feature Request - implement EDID override

idata
Employee

Hello,

it would be nice if the Intel Graphics driver would support overriding EDID information like described in this document from Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487330 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487330

Why is this needed?

In a common HTPC (multimedia PC) setup with a PC, AVR (audio video receiver) and a television, the EDID information stored in the receiver & television that is passed to the PC determines the video and audio capabilities like: supported resolutions, supported audio formats etc ..

The problem is that very often the system only "sees" the EDID information of the television, and not that of the receiver, and so you don't get support for audio formats like DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD that are supported by the receiver ...

The latest Sandy bridge CPU and corresponding chipset support all these sound standards, but they often not useable cause of these EDID problems.

Actually it really does not matter what video card / integrated graphics you use, NVidia and AMD graphics have the same problem, but their drivers

allows people to override the EDID information like is described in the above linked document from Microsoft.

Please implement this stuff, shouldn't be that hard to do, for one of you senior driver programmers it's probably just a few hours of work ...

Thank you

Christian

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

182 Replies
MGall11
Beginner

Hi Robert,

Excellent news! Has there been any progress/movement on this since?

0 Kudos
loldf
Beginner

I'm working through a bug report via bug tracker for intel graphics. There is a bug in either DRM or xf86 driver around hot plugging.

Also the edid override via DRM is supported in kernel 4.0+. Its not in the stable release yet for Ubuntu.... Some bug fixed that makes the DRM option force edid for a screen in that kernel module...

That said, my hack works perfectly 😉

Allows override and keep the screen working after power cycles.. So hack away sir

0 Kudos
MGall11
Beginner

Thanks for the feedback, good info! I really need this on a Windows platform and a stable/official release would do wonders. One can only hope!

0 Kudos
MGall11
Beginner
0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ MG5,

This request is still being evaluated. I will post updates to this thread as they become available.

Thanks

Robert

0 Kudos
ZSaun
Novice

Still waiting to hear something on this, just curious does this include EDID overrides for the windows driver as well? I would like the ability to add custom resolutions / refresh dates without hitting a driver imposed bandwidth limit.

0 Kudos
PTown
Beginner

Any plans to add this to the windows chips?

Having to add an EDID dongle makes boxes with intel chips less than cost effective for our purposes.

0 Kudos
BZuba
Beginner

Hello,

I' also very interested in it. Cannot use correctly my updated FullHD screen, because Intel HD Graphics doesn't support by default with me laptop, but actually it's compatible..

Here is my question about this in details:

/message/329753# 329753 https://communities.intel.com/message/329753# 329753

So it would be great if you could support it. Also found this issue in many other posts, so please!

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for your information, I am checking with engineering team and see if I can get any update about this matter.

Allan.

0 Kudos
BZuba
Beginner

It sounds good, really waiting for your anser because it's crazy.

For some extra information:

I've found a kind of white list in my bios flash file with the EDID informations of supported monitor. Maybe it's a direct contract between you (intel) and lenovo, to not replace manually the screens?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

The request to add this feature was denied by the change board. I've taken over this change request from Robert_U and am advocating on your behalf. I'll appeal the decision and offer other feedback to assist. I'll circle back with more info as it's available. Thanks.

0 Kudos
KS_
New Contributor I

Well, if that applies to Windows as well as Linux, that's exceptionally disappointing that it was denied. So many users want EDID overrides, there's no reason not to have it. Consumers deserve to have full control over their devices.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi cehlscheid, ipkpjersi, et al,

The time has come to make a case.

I'm appealing the denial. Dev states there are capabilities in the OS for you to modify your EDID. You provided an article detailing how to do this. Their question is if it's available to do in OS via an INF, why do you need it in the Gfx driver too? This would be doubling effort. Is the option invalid or just inconvenient? Export the current EDID, reprogram it, load it via the INF method the MSFT article details.

If you can help make the case I'll push the request further up the chain.

If the option is invalid, please state why, and any features you would like to request in the addition. Thank.

0 Kudos
KS_
New Contributor I

Hey,

Thanks for the update. However, from what I understand, and from what I have always heard, Intel iGPU have EDID display editing completely locked down which means you literally CANNOT increase your refresh rate over the arbitrary number that is 60 (when most LCDs are actually rated by their manufacturers for 75). I may be mistaken, but this is what I have always believed to be true. Someone with more knowledge can chime in on this and I believe will likely agree with me that it is not currently possible when you have an Intel iGPU.

Edit: There's a well known developer out there who also says exactly this.

On his thread here: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

He says this:

"Requirements:

• Windows Vista or later
  • AMD/ATI or NVIDIA GPU
    • Intel's graphics driver does not support EDID overrides
    • Laptops with switchable graphics are not supported"

Further in this thread: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU?page=18 http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU?page=18

He says this:

"It's not likely to happen in the near future. Intel's driver doesn't support the EDID override mechanism used by CRU to add custom resolutions, and Intel's SDK is not publicly available, so I don't have access to an Intel-specific method either. Even if I did, the program would need to work differently to be able to support an Intel-specific method, and there might be driver limitations that need to be patched, especially for what you're trying to do. I also don't have an Intel system to test this on."

P.S. I must specify that this is for the Windows driver, and for Ivy Bridge and newer.

Therefore, I kindly ask that you move this request further up the chain and have this looked into further.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
PTown
Beginner

A) Currently, it's not possible at all. It's not valid because the Intel driver doesn't respect the custom EDID from the INF file, as far as I could see from my testing, doing what was suggested in the MSFT article works on the Nvidia / ATI drivers that don't have EDID override directly in their software, but does *nothing at all* on Intel chips. Has Dev actually tried to do this?

B) Yes, it is much more convenient to be able to configure the EDID override in the display software, then to go through the clumsy process of capturing an EDID and crafting a custom INF file from it. Especially if you don't have a chance to connect the PC to the monitor / video processor / multiplexer / matrix switcher until deployment. Especially if you're not there on site and need to set it up remotely.

Edit: here's another post about part A of this reply:

0 Kudos
KS_
New Contributor I

Hey Bryce,

It's been a few days now and I was wondering if we could maybe get an update? I believe enough of us have helped make our case that you should be able to push the request further up the chain? We would all love to have this feature implemented and for every one of us, I guarantee there are many, many more that want this feature implemented. I believe it is especially important to have this "bug" fixed if it is not intended to prevent EDID overriding, and since we all want this fixed very badly. If you don't have an update, no worries, this is just something to keep in mind and take into consideration.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Marvin_L_Intel
Employee

Hello ipkpjersi,

I will send your update request to the department in charge so they can get back to this forum with an update. Thank you in advance for your patience on this.

Best regards,

marving_intel

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hey ipkpjersi,

I've submitted the additional feedback and usage cases. The Dev team has some actionable items to follow up on and will review their decision. I'll follow up with responses as they come. Enjoy your weekend!

.:Bryce:.

0 Kudos
KS_
New Contributor I

Hey Bryce,

Sorry to bother you, but it's been a month now and I was just wondering if you have an update for us? If not, I understand.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
HBela
New Contributor I

Hi everyone.

As ipk~ said, Intel doesn't support EDID or INF files override AT ALL.

I have already tried to set a custom refresh rate into my internal display but it just doesn't accept it in any way.

I think this thread could be linked to this one:

Both are about the same issue: Not being possible to set Custom Resolutions via Intel HD Graphics Drivers and/or the lack of EDID Override.

Both should be present, but having one of them would already make the other possible.

It's such a shame that it took so many years until Intel realizes users need to have freedom to do whatever they want with their hardware and not be totally dependent from manufacturers.

DAtli1
Beginner

Dear Sirs,

there is an issue with home theatre system and using computer/laptop as media centre that can only be solved with EDID override.

I am using Intel HD 4000 HDMI output on Inspiron 7520 laptop. Since I have to send the video signal to TV and audio signal to receiver (and since it is an older receiver I don't have an HDMI input on it) I am using a HDMI switch that is capable of passing through 5.1 audio signal.

However, I cannot get multichannel audio on my receiver since the OS recognises the connection only as HDMI to TV and my TV supports 2.0 only. The sound is sent to AVR but only as stereo.

This can be solved with an EDID override in custom modified .inf file but however Intel does not support it.

You can read about lots of other A/V issues for which EDID override is needed due to faults in the design of protocols and firmware of A/V equipment (surely not fault on behalf of customers) on these external threads:http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1227161-edid-overrides-solve-bitstreaming-issues-ati-5xxx-s.html

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1227161-edid-overrides-solve-bitstreaming-issues-ati-5xxx-s.html EDID Overrides to solve bitstreaming issues for ATI 5xxx's - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/1091403-edid-override-thread.html EDID Override Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Best regards,

Dado