Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Feature Request - implement EDID override

idata
Employee

Hello,

it would be nice if the Intel Graphics driver would support overriding EDID information like described in this document from Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487330 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487330

Why is this needed?

In a common HTPC (multimedia PC) setup with a PC, AVR (audio video receiver) and a television, the EDID information stored in the receiver & television that is passed to the PC determines the video and audio capabilities like: supported resolutions, supported audio formats etc ..

The problem is that very often the system only "sees" the EDID information of the television, and not that of the receiver, and so you don't get support for audio formats like DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD that are supported by the receiver ...

The latest Sandy bridge CPU and corresponding chipset support all these sound standards, but they often not useable cause of these EDID problems.

Actually it really does not matter what video card / integrated graphics you use, NVidia and AMD graphics have the same problem, but their drivers

allows people to override the EDID information like is described in the above linked document from Microsoft.

Please implement this stuff, shouldn't be that hard to do, for one of you senior driver programmers it's probably just a few hours of work ...

Thank you

Christian

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

182 Replies
rRosa4
Beginner

it's already july 2016... still no resolution.. what a shame.

Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

I've been posting updates/comments in wrt a viable WA for this. Please read the thread there and keep it followed for updates. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Rethinking things because there's two different sides to the workaround, external panels and internal panels.

I'll keep this thread updated for external panels and track the internal panel request through

So for the external panels update:

We're checking in the code changes and this takes a little time once it starts, but it's behind a queue of other changes being checked in, also there's a lot of testing to follow. Testing typically takes a few weeks or under if there's no roadblocks that arise. This is why I don't have an ETA yet, I'm waiting for the queue to go down and the check-in to begin so I can assess the schedule after that. Stay tuned...

ZSaun
Novice

Hello Bryce,

I have informed Toastyx of the upcoming changes to the driver and he had a question about pixel clock limits, you can find it over on the release thread for CRU if you would like.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU?page=221 Custom Resolution Utility (CRU)

"I mean the 165 MHz pixel clock limit for single-link DVI and HDMI. Many people are using CRU and the pixel clock patches to exceed that limit with external displays."

Perhaps you should check into this with the developers and see what can be done? There are two patchers for AMD and NVIDIA drivers which bypass this limit, so maybe intel can do something similar.

idata
Employee

ZacharyS, this tool just creates the custom EDID hex for you and inserts it into the registry, this doesn't patch any 'pixel clock limitations'.

It is effectively what the Intel CRU feature is supposed to do, but most people get the 'Exceeds maximum bandwidth message'.

I have proved that the Intel driver, even if the Intel CRU let you write the correct EDID override to registry, does not honour the custom EDID in any shape or form.

I have crafted my own EDIDs using various formulas (and proved them valid on linux, where the Intel driver has custom resolution support), and inserted them via the various routes, registry, INF, etc.

None of them work. Because the feature simply does not exist. The ONLY way this feature will ever work, is if they fix their driver. It's not a bug, it's a completely missing feature.

ALSO, the 165mhz pixel clock is a red herring. You can prove this by adding a resolution/refresh rate that is within 165mhz, and it still doesn't work. Go ahead, add 1920x1080@10hz. CRU doesn't exist!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for the update, Bryce.

I understand a pre-release driver was available for INTERNAL EDID override.

1. Is there anything pre-release for EXTERNAL that I can test? I'm having to maintain two damn computer systems for working (in order to use monitor, because CRU doesnt work), and it's frustrating.
  2. Are we likely to get anything usable (alpha, beta, production) within a month?
idata
Employee

Thanks for the feedback, good info! I really need this on a Windows platform and a stable/official release would do wonders. One can only hope!

Thanks

http://qwikfix.co.uk/sky-customer-services/ Sky customer services

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Where are the beta drivers?

This is f------- ridiculous.

• I have an HTPC+TV which won't play 10-bit video because of your half-baked drivers.
  • I have a monitor I cannot use because of your half-baked drivers.
  • I have a tablet and a laptop both with a display stuck at 59hz because of your half-baked drivers.
  • All of my Windows 10 machines are prone to driver reverts because you implemented a retarded software versioning scheme

ALL of my home computing devices are crippled by your pathetic drivers. Every single one.

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ZEUS, GIVE ME A DRIVER WITH CRU WORKING

DMitc4
Novice

Yes Intel all we want is the beta if you cant make a update release.

Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

Apologies for the tardiness of the update. I'm checking in with the developer and I'll respond again shortly with where this is at. Thanks for your patience.

Bryce__Intel
Employee

Okay, so great news, we have progress.

In plain english, I got this approved It'll be ready very soon for latest products, but will take some time to roll out to older generation platforms. Stay tuned...

A bit more detail for those interested...

We're checking this into [15.45] drivers (supporting 6th & 7th generation). It won't be in the next release, but I'm targeting it for the following one. Just calling it out so you don't get your hopes up quite yet when you see the upcoming release.

I just received approval for my request for check-in for [15.33] and [15.40] 3rd, 4th, and 5th Generation respectively. We will need to wait for driver builds. I'm planning to have this in our next 15.33 driver, and I'm working on which 15.40 I can align this with. As we get closer I'll do my best to keep you informed. Yes I get busy and slip on updates, (big apologies!) if it's been a while and you're curious, a gentle reminder via PM is certainly welcome

I'll note that currently there's no plan for 4th Gen Win7 & 8.1 [15.36]. I was only able to get approval for Win10 [15.40] on 4th Gen. Hopefully you can work with this support plan.

I'll note I deeply appreciate your continued patience on these cases.. this one in particular has been a long journey through a few different customer advocates and appeals, but I'm happy to see the traction on this now. Personally I've been wanting & waiting for this addition as well. I'm still working diligently on the LFP (Local flat panel) side of this. Getting this approved for EFP's (External flat panel) certainly helps me leverage the decision/progress and build on it for LFP.

.:Bryce:.

DMitc4
Novice

Bryce@Intel Mah Boi,

About 90% Of the people on all these EDID complaint threads use the 4th generation Intel HD Graphics. Why would you push a release for the 6th and 7th when the people complaining are using the 4th? If I have to force the 6th and 7th to work on my 4th Gen Intel HD Graphics I will because this is unacceptable. I have a HD 4600 in my gaming laptop and having people with 6th and 7th that aren't even complaining as much as the 4th will get the patch but the 4th wont untill further notice? Naw man we have to get the update too Bryce@Intel This isn't gonna fly well with the people on all these threads with 4th Gens.

0 Kudos
JGro
Beginner

absolutely amazing news, thank you Bruce, you should get a medal for this!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bryce, I'm particularly confused about this because I've had much less problems on my 6th gen products and it certainly seems that the _majority_ of complaints here are about 4th Gen hardware.

How many months are we talking?

0 Kudos
LJaco5
Beginner

Fantastic news!!! Can't wait for the driver for my NUC5i5RYH to be released!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bryce@Intel , following up from damani35000vr , I have some additional feedback about the LATEST DRIVERS released on 08/12/2016.

How I installed:

1. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Drivers & Software
  2. (click Graphics from Drop-down on right)
  3. Download latest driver (15.40.28.4501)

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

OR

Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]
  4. Installation of either on Windows 10 64-bit up-to-date results in the following on my i7-4710MQ laptop (Intel HD 4600 graphics):
    1. No 'Graphic options' or 'Graphic properties' in Desktop context menu
    2. No system tray icon
    3. 6 external monitors appear in 'Display properties', only 4 can be enabled at once, trial and error required to find correct monitor
    4. Intel HD Graphics UI (run from installation folder or any dialog) REFUSES to open, silently with no feedback.

Basically, the latest drivers DO NOT WORK.

Worse still, the differentiated release, 'Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.40][4th Gen]', is functionally identical.

The filesize is EXACTLY the same, and the Readme/release notes on the first page of the setup.exe wizard are the same.

> It is possible that the latest driver release (15.40.28.4501) hasn't been uploaded correctly for 4th Gen users.

> This is worth following up if this release has any new functionality as discussed.

Bryce, thanks for being a contact here more reliable than most others. But please, realise that these issues are not Feature requests - the Intel Drivers on Windows are not delivering what is promised.

Also, Intel's marketing materials advertise support of 'deep color' everywhere - but there is a December 2015 whitepaper showing that there is no way for anyone to use the feature! I'm just saying that we're not being fussy here - your company is literally failing its users.

What utterly confounds me, is how much better the Linux drivers are. The situation is usually the opposite.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I would also say there is a definite legal risk. Intel has blatantly not delivered on marketed claims.

There are plenty of products on Intel ARK that show features (resolutions, deep-color and others) that are NOT delivered to the customer.

0 Kudos
JSkau
New Contributor II

C'mon guys, this is a huge step. A tiny bit of patience please, we finally actually got the ball rolling here. Prioritizing the newer platforms first doesn't mean earlier platforms won't get the work done - its clearly a sequential compromise that had to be done to win through with the pitch.

0 Kudos
DMitc4
Novice

"A tiny bit of patience please" 5 years later. This was only a "small" problem that could be worked out for EDID override, Not a huge one. Its not like we are asking Intel to release a program dedicated to switching between the dedicated and integrated GPU.

JSkau
New Contributor II

Yeah, exactly - a tiny bit of patience please. This thread might be 5 years old, but Bryce@Intel's news about finally getting this greenlit, is barely 5 days old. Now things are actually in the works with the driver devs - hammering the community support staff won't make that go any faster. They got the devs working on it now - thats about as far as their reach goes.

0 Kudos