Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Feature Request - implement EDID override

idata
Employee

Hello,

it would be nice if the Intel Graphics driver would support overriding EDID information like described in this document from Microsoft:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487330 http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487330

Why is this needed?

In a common HTPC (multimedia PC) setup with a PC, AVR (audio video receiver) and a television, the EDID information stored in the receiver & television that is passed to the PC determines the video and audio capabilities like: supported resolutions, supported audio formats etc ..

The problem is that very often the system only "sees" the EDID information of the television, and not that of the receiver, and so you don't get support for audio formats like DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD that are supported by the receiver ...

The latest Sandy bridge CPU and corresponding chipset support all these sound standards, but they often not useable cause of these EDID problems.

Actually it really does not matter what video card / integrated graphics you use, NVidia and AMD graphics have the same problem, but their drivers

allows people to override the EDID information like is described in the above linked document from Microsoft.

Please implement this stuff, shouldn't be that hard to do, for one of you senior driver programmers it's probably just a few hours of work ...

Thank you

Christian

1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

.:Bryce:.

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

View solution in original post

182 Replies
CChad1
Beginner

Can someone be able to answer this question as I'm still new to all this.

I used to own the Thinkpad T550 and it came with a horrible display. If you replace the display with 3rd party better display, you lose the ability to control the brightness level. However, if you change the EDID of the replacement screen to match the EDID of an officially white-listed screen, you regain brightness control. But that involves actually hacking the EEPROM of the replacement screen, which is something that something that a lot of people are not comfortable with or have the necessary expertise to implement. So, my question is, with Intel graphics drivers hopefully respecting EDID override, will that mean there'll no longer be a need to hack the EEPROM of replacement screens ? Am I correct ?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

I was able to escalate and get Win7 & 8.1 on 4th Gen [15.36] approved, phew. Again, the change is getting checked in currently for all branches back to 15.33, but this is rolling out as new drivers are built. Hence latest products are getting drivers built often so they'll come first, older products have less builds so whichever is the next build for those drivers I'll ensure the change is included in them.

KKova3
Novice

And what about 3rd gen (HD3000/HD400) chips?!

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Please read my previous post. It details the changes full product support.

0 Kudos
ZXie4
Beginner

I noticed that 8th Gen GPU was not mentioned in your previous post.

My TV box is based on windows 10, x5-z8300. I got sound issue when connecting to Sony AVR. I guess the issue is with the driver on how to deal with the EDID returned from the AVR. I guess by overriding the EDID the issue could be fixed.

I am wondering if x5-z8300 EDID overriding is supported?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

So, good news and bad news... Bad news first, complications with build are preventing our targeted production releases so the formal WA's aren't expected till after the new year.

Good news, is that I worked to get the driver unlocked in a test driver that can be found using the link below. This contains the code to unlock for both external and internal panels. Merry Xmas all and please let me know that it works for you. To be clear, this allows the 3rd party EDID apps to function with Intel products. This test driver is only built for 4th Generation and 5th Generation platforms on Windows* 10 and 5th Generation platforms on Windows* 7 and 8.1.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26504/Intel-Graphics-Test-Driver Download Intel® Graphics Test Driver

idata
Employee

I have a dell inspirion 3168 model with intel hd graphics. I succesfully installed driver used CRU but no custom resolution shows up at all

0 Kudos
JGro
Beginner

had the same problem with cru changes not appearing anywhere but managed to get it to work in the end, here is what i did

• add new "detailed" resolution in CRU, with Automatic - LCD Standard timing
  • click OK
  • don't run "restart.exe", instead shut down the laptop fully ( not reboot, this is important )
  • boot it again, the screen flashed black upon entering the login screen
  • check new custom resolutions and refresh rates in intel control panel

windows 10, asus laptop

0 Kudos
LJaco5
Beginner

I've downloaded and installed the test driver but I still don't seem to be able to override the audio settings. I've tried Moninfo and CRU to create a new .inf file for my monitor that includes support for AC3 and DTS but the NUC still only passes PCM audio. Does the audio driver included with the test graphics driver allow EDID override or do I need to wait for the official release?

Thanks

Lester

Update: After additional investigation I discovered that the audio filter I was using (AC3Filter) was not configured correctly and thus was only outputting PCM 2.0. Once configured correctly it then sent the DD 5.1 stream as desired. I consider the EDID issue resolved for my situation.

0 Kudos
GKoh
Beginner

Thank you for taking the time to escalate the bugfix, but it has already been 6 years and till now my Intel Ivy Bridge i5 3230M with Integrated HD 4000 graphics is still unable to override the EDID to set a custom resolution for my 720p laptop monitor to 75Hz.

This is very concerning as I might not want to buy another very expensive Intel 6700HQ/6820HK laptop which cannot be overclocked from 60Hz to 75Hz as I am used to my PC 168Hz display, and given that I buy Intel CPUs only for its high performance and ability to reach high framerates with a capable GPU.

As most people know the laptop's display is attached to the IGPU of the CPU and not directly to the discrete GPU. If I were to buy the new laptop and again wait from 2017 to 2023...that would be too long.

For that most people saving up/buying a high-end laptop might just go for cheaper/weaker CPU alternatives if screen resolutions on a more expensive platform similiarly gives 60Hz.

Thats not good business practices to delay a hotfix.

0 Kudos
JTang15
Beginner

I installed the test driver on my laptop, and it's working well. My laptop is connected to an HDTV, and I was successfully able to use CRU to remove the 1080 interlaced resolution and add 1080p30 and 1080p50 resolutions.

The only downside is that the driver automatically adds a 1080p59 (1080p @ 59.94Hz) resolution to any 1080p60 resolution that I set in CRU. I was hoping to be able to remove the 59.94Hz refresh rate entirely.

The driver similarly adds a 1080p23 resolution with 1080p24, and 1080p29 with 1080p30.

0 Kudos
Rapla
Beginner

I registered here just for this reply. Bryce, thank you so much for pushing this through. Although it's years late, it's now (almost) here.

To all: I've tested this driver on my 6th gen i3-6300, and it works perfectly well! I've got this in my arcade cab, and gone is the tearing with scrolling!

0 Kudos
JCout3
Beginner

Registered to say thank you to Bryce, and to request that this be added to the NUC Kit DN2820FYKH (Celeron CPU N2820).

This NUC was pretty much designed to be a HTPC, even has an IR receiver, but it is missing this crucial feature for my setup!

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Update:

Again I come with good and bad news. Unfortunately the [15.33] branch for 3rd Generation was denied, which means this will only be available for 4th Generation and later products.

The good news is I have a few drivers targeted for the coming weeks. I'll update again as the releases get closer.

0 Kudos
DAtli1
Beginner

Good day Bryce, what does it mean? Does it mean that EDID override won't ever be possible on 3rd generation processors?

0 Kudos
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Great news! This completes the platform support. These drivers enable the use of 3rd party EDID applications for internal and external panels on Intel platforms.

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26544/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-15-36-%3Fproduct%3D81498 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows 7*/8.1* [15.36]

Products: 4th Generation (Haswell) - OS: Windows® 10

Products: 5th Generation (Broadwell) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26682/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.40]

Products: 6th Generation (Skylake) - OS: Windows* 7, Windows* 8.1, Windows® 10

Products: 7th Generation (Kaby Lake) - OS: Windows® 10

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26669/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows* [15.45]

I started discussion space to continue this topic. I'm locking out this thread as resolved. Thanks all for your input!

/thread/113612 Using 3rd party EDID apps to modify modes

fdeso
Beginner

Hi Bryce,

Have been following this topic, cause we might want to use this in our firm. However, I don't see HD5500 in the list. Is it still in test? Or just forgotten in the list?

0 Kudos
ahsie11
Beginner

It's been about a month since this update, I was wondering if the update to the 4th gen chip will be coming to windows 10 as well, seeing as the driver was last updated in 08/2016. I was also wondering if updating said driver would allow me to set a custom resolution and increase the framerate on my built in laptop monitor.

Thank you

0 Kudos
fdeso
Beginner

Hi Bryce,

Can't find the Intel® HD Graphics 5500 in the lists. We use Windows 7 SP1 and will switch to Windows 10 later this year.

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

0 Kudos
ahsie11
Beginner

From the original response Bryce gave, both 4000 and 5000 series will get the windows 10 version of the driver in the upcoming weeks. I myself am waiting of the drivers. Hopefully it doesn't take too long.

0 Kudos
fdeso
Beginner

Hi Ahsieh,

Yeah I've read so, but was hoping to get the Windows 7 SP1 driver for it as well.

Thanks though for pointing it out.

0 Kudos