Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Graphics Card Won't Recognize a Program as a Game.

AMcNe1
Beginner

I have the Intel HD 4000 and my os is Windows 8 64 bit. A game that I commonly play recently came out with a new launcher. With that new launcher I get lag. In scenarios where every thing is the same (same save, same version) but the launcher is different, I get around 100 fps with the old launcher, and 20 fps with the new launcher. I think that this is due the the graphics card as not recognizing the program as a game. Help would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
69 Replies
MDian1
Beginner

Hello Nic,

thanks alot for getting back at me!

Glad to read that both are working on a solution and that you'll keep us informed!

We were worried that we don't get to know in time what the exact changes will be, so alot of INTEL users might get stuck inside the Lag again.. hence why I am being persistent - for the sake of the affected users of the Minecraft Community },] I hope you/INTEL don't mind, but I just want to make it sure it will be fixed at all, and that you won't forget to tell us!

Thanks again,

kind regards,

Meri

0 Kudos
ERorr
Beginner

Is anyone having FPS issues in Minecraft again? The most recent snapshot(13w41b) is running horribly for me. Dips to 2 and 3 FPS on a regular basis. Even 1.6.4 is running badly now.

When I go back to 1.5.2, it performs normally.

0 Kudos
ERorr
Beginner

I have discovered that MineCraft plays fine in a windowed mode, even maximized. If you try to play in Full screen mode, the performance is terrible. I don't see this problem on my Geforce machine, only the intel integrated graphics machine. You can toggle between Windowed and Full Screen mode with F11 and see the performance difference(F3 to display FPS in MineCraft).

Hope this helps out somebody.

Here is the bug I logged over on the MineCraft bug tracker.

https://mojang.atlassian.net/browse/MC-36105 [MC-36105] Terrible performance with Intel Integrated Graphics Full Screen(FPS issues) - Mojira

0 Kudos
NICHOLAS_F_Intel
Employee

Hi ACE1252 - what driver are you using? Have you updated your MineCraft* client to the latest version?

Thanks,

-Nic

0 Kudos
ERorr
Beginner

Nic

Graphics drivers are okay and I was using minecraft 1.7.4 getting the subpar performance results.

My Minecraft bug report was closed as a duplicate. I was very frustrated at this as whoever closed it is simply sweeping the issue under the rug.

I wanted to update my progress in the hopes it will help others with the Intel Chipsets. Again, I have HD2000 graphics chipset.

Optifine 1.7.2 HD U A9 has come out and it has really helped my FPS problem. I'm playing 1.7.2 instead of 1.7.4, but the boost is really huge with Optifine.

You still have to play with the window maximized instead of fullscreen, but I can live with that(though I prefer the fullscreen look). The FPS is reported roughly the same, but for some reason, fullscreen is not as smooth looking when moving as maximized.

My FPS has went from ~25 to ~50 with Optifine 1.7.2 HD U A9 and the following video settings in Minecraft.....

Graphics - Fast

Render distance - 8 Normal

Fog - Off

Advanced OpenGL - Fast

Chunk Loading - Multi Core

Smooth Lighting - Minimum

Clouds - Fancy (I changed it to fancy.....I like fancy clouds =))

MipMap - Off(I think the fast graphics settings turns this off, but be sure)

The game is now playable for me again. I must thank the Optifine team for a wonderful job. 😃

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@amcneil98 , are you seeing the same issue with the latest http://mcupdate.tumblr.com/post/54905639217/minecraft-1-6-2 Minecraft update version 1.6.2?

0 Kudos
DElli4
Beginner

I am not sure about amcneil, but I am having the same problem even after the 1.6.2 update. Framerate on the program is very low. Before the new launcher on the game was required to play, I could get much higher framerate.

0 Kudos
AMcNe1
Beginner

Yes. As I said, it is a problem with the new launcher. I was able to run the previous version (1.5.2) on the new launcher, and was getting 1/4 of the frame rate that I was getting on the old launcher, in the same version, and the same save.

0 Kudos
QVu
Beginner

I'm using Intel g33/31 chipset and having the same issue that it can't update you a newer version. Because minecraft requires updated graphic driver, I tried to update mine but still doesn't work. Minecraft pops up an error and says that my graphic driver needs to be updated but its already been update. I'm using windows 8 and I really needs help ASAP. Thanks.

0 Kudos
ZKvic2
Beginner

Hello, everyone.

I've been trying out Minecraft to see if I get the same issue, but it seems like it works perfectly fine for me.

These are my settings. If you can't read them, it's a 2500 Graphics Card with Driver 3222. Maybe you guys can help me see what the problem is or maybe the frame rate dropped and I didn't see it.

Also, here's a video of me playing around with Minecraft 1.6.1 with these settings and the behavior I experienced. Maybe you guys will see a FPS drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1k7uPV8FrM&feature=player_embedded Minecraft Testing Issue - YouTube

0 Kudos
MDian1
Beginner

Hello Zach, thanks for your testing!

I don't know if it's implemented in the Demo Mode of Minecraft, but you can see the FPS if you hit the F3 key.

I also don't know if the Demo Mode is in any kind different from regular Minecraft, as of the worlds/chunks/blocks.

You have an INTEL 2500 GPU - so far I've heard of Lag Issues only at HD 2000, 3000, and mostly 4000.

But I will ask the people on YouTube to join this convo and to tell which kind of settings they have exactly, and which kind of integrated INTEL GPU.

Thank you kindly for your attempt to help!

Kind regards,

Meri

0 Kudos
JWebb3
Beginner

I too am having the same issues with Minecraft as everyone else has stated! Just voicing my support in the hope of a fix!

0 Kudos
ERorr
Beginner

I have the same issue as well. It is an ACER netbook with HD2000 graphics. Minecraft 1.5.2 will give me around 30fps. Any version of 1.6 drops the FPS to 8. Simply unplayable.

Here is some information on my computer specs....

Aspire One 756-2623

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Intel Celeron 877 CPU

8GB RAM

Intel HD 2000 graphics

320GB hard drive

0 Kudos
MGlSs
Beginner

Same here. Massive fps drop with the new Minecraft launcher and 1.6.x with HD4000 as the only graphics chip in a desktop computer. Windows 7, 3570K CPU and 8G RAM installed.

Thanks for your efforts.

0 Kudos
JWebb3
Beginner

I am glad to see that more people are reporting this problem and supporting the hopes of a fix! I hope it's still being looked into!

0 Kudos
RaeS_Intel

Sincere apologies to all Minecraft* game users who may have recently experienced slowdown on Intel products. This slowdown would have been seen by users who have generated a new worldmap on latest Minecraft 1.6 release which was released on the 1st week of July. While we are working on a driver fix to address this issue and will make available as a future driver update on the Intel web site, we are providing a temporary workaround to gamers now. We recommend that Minecraft gamers download the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23041 minecraft_opt_on.reg file and double-click it to apply this workaround. Please restart the game and this workaround should fix the slowdown issue. As always, please upgrade to the latest driver which can be downloaded from your http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm computer manufacturer or from the http://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Intel Download Center.

JWebb3
Beginner

I am glad to hear that a fix is in the works. Unfortunately I just tried this workaround and saw no change. But thank you for looking into it and continuing to investigate!

0 Kudos
MDian1
Beginner

Skeletune, it worked for Spencer H. though, that opened that Issue over there at Mojira - which INTEL GPU do you have ?

Did you also download the latest Driver, additionally to the additionally temporary Fix ?

0 Kudos
JWebb3
Beginner

Yes I installed it and as far as I know, yes, I did install the latest drivers. Not that Intel is making that any easier, as whenever I go to try to download it and reinstall it to be safe, there is no download link for the driver I'm looking for. Intel HD Graphics 2500, I'm running windos 8 64 Bit. I downloaded the .reg file, clicked it, installed it, started the game, no change. Restarted my computer, still no change.

0 Kudos
JWebb3
Beginner

When I use the automatic detection tool it's telling me I have a customized driver. And it won't let me install any driver I find online.'

EDIT! Well, i fixed the driver issue. Rolled back and then ran the .exe driver installer, then I re-ran the .reg, and sure enough, my FPS shot up to where it was before. Now, it is a bit less stable than it was before, but it's back into the 70s and 80s most of the time. Good job intel! But will there be a permanent fix in the future? Or is this the best it will get? I ask because I'm worried about future updates for the game and this happening again.

Message was edited by: Skeletune

0 Kudos
ARisn
Beginner

Hi, I tested minecraft_opt_on.reg on my HD Graphics 3000, even though this card was not listed as supported in the download link. The result was that MC 1.6.2 stopped rendering all 3D objects (blocks and entities). Only the sky, sun, moon and clouds were rendered. Even so, the frame rate was still low.

0 Kudos