Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Graphics Performance Degradation after reboots

CMung
Beginner

So Hey Guys, Im using a HP Elitebook Folio 9470m and the following are the specs of the laptop im using

CPU: Intel Core i5 3427U Dual core

GPU: Intel HD 4000

RAM: 6144MB 1333 MHz DDR3

Storage: 512GB Hybrid Hard Drive

Display Panel: 1366x768 TN Panel

I guess Those are the Important specs I need to mention

But Yeah I dunno why, but I'm getting decreased performance in Games After Reboots... The performance in terms of Frames Per Seconds seem to be decreasing upon each reboot and its frustrating.

For Testing, I used the game Street Fighter X Tekken as it has a Benchmark built in...

Initially I was using the Graphics Driver provided at the HP Site for this laptop which was version 10.18.10.4425

I installed the driver and I was prompted to reboot the system of which naturally I did so, Running most of the games was a good experience, Till I started noticing drops in framerates after a period of time, The shutting down and powering on the laptop, I decided to reinstall the HP provided Driver and Did the Street Fighter X Tekken Benchmark(On Default Settings: 1366x768 res, No MSAA, MotionBlur On, High Quality Preset), I got around 71 Frames Per Second, I Rebooted my laptop and upon loading the bench mark once again, I got 66 Frames Per Second... After a couple of Reboots, the framerates were hovering around the 40 - 50 Threshold That's when I looked up for updated Drivers on the Intel Site and found the Driver Version 10.18.10.4885 I downloaded the zip version because I couldn't install the .exe version on this laptop and installed the driver(zip ver.) I ran the same tests over and over again and im getting those same results, (I havent noticed the FPS of the benchmark dip below 40)

And this issue is noticed across most games, especially Unreal engine 3 games(Such as DmC Devil May Cry, Betrayer, Sanctum 2) but basically any game that im playing, I'll notice ~15 FPS drops...

apart from some older and lighter games that im mostly seeing an average of 60FPS (Unreal Gold, System Shock 2, Carmageddon TDR 2000, Fancy Skulls, Jotun Valhalla Edition)

Here are some of the Screenshots:

and The SSU text file I generated from the SSU application

and also the DxDiag

and Finally the screenshot showing the Hardware Ids from the Device Manager

If you have any solutions, please help a brother out, Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello NeiR97,

I understand that you are experiencing performance degradation, specifically with the frame rate drop.

Regarding this, what I could recommend you to do is a clean installation of the graphics driver. This process is done as follows:

1 - Download the .zip driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27417/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=81499 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27417/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-33-?product=81499

2 - Disconnect the computer from the internet.

3 - Go to device manager and check under display adapters.

4 - Right-click on the Intel ® Integrated Graphics, select the option uninstall and keep going until you only have Microsoft's basic display adapter.

5 - Unzip the file you downloaded previously.

6 - Right-click on the Microsoft's basic display adapter and select "Update driver".

7 - Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software.

8 - Select the option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

9 - Select the option "Have disk".

10 - Select the option "Browse".

11 - Access the designated location or folder where you unzipped the driver downloaded and access a folder called "Graphics".

12 - Select the setup information file (Typically named either "idglh64" or "igdlh").

13 - Click on open and then click OK, finally click Next and the drivers will begin to install.

14 - Reboot your computer when the installation is completed.

After following these steps, please check the frame rate and see if it has improved, try rebooting several times to replicate the problem and see if it is still present.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NeiR97,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to install the driver as per instructions above?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
CMung
Beginner

Nope, I haven't gotten anywhere, I have tried Older Drivers such as 10.18.10.3282 and haven't gotten anywhere still. I'm wondering whether this is a hardware issue, windows issue or just something else I haven't considered or thought about.

and also I thought that it might be the game that is at fault and I tried another benchmark(Devil May Cry 4) What's funny is, I'm having poor performance than when I had back when I had a Dell Latitude E6420 (core i5 2540M, intel HD 3000) which if I remember correctly, had an average of 74 FPS and mostly remained above 60 FPS for the most part, but on this laptop, its somewhere between 35 - 44 FPS depending on the scene, Same settings everywhere.

I just hope for a fix to be available soon.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NeiR97,

Thank you for your response.

As you have mentioned, if you have tried older driver versions to no avail then the performance impact could be related to hardware or O.S. If the problem was resolved when rolling back the driver then we could say it was a driver problem.

What we can try is either, reinstalling the Operating System with help from the system manufacturer, or else, check with them so that they can review and check your hardware to make sure that everything is working fine and if not, replace any possible damaged part that could be compromising the performance. It is highly recommended as well to check for any possible BIOS updates that the manufacturer could have released to address issues.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello NeiR97,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos