Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

HD 4000 triple monitor works in Linux, not Windows

DLars1
Beginner

I have a Lenovo T430 with Intel HD 4000 and the Lenovo Mini Dock Plus. I have connected two identical displays using the DisplayPort connectors on the dock and would like to keep the laptop's internal display also active.

I've tried various combinations, but no matter what I choose, I can only have two displays active at any given time in Windows 8 (64-bit). The Intel website shows a third display option will appear in the control panel, but I have yet to see it appear. I even tried updating to the latest driver available on Intel's website without any improvement.

What's very odd is this same laptop and configuration works fine in Ubuntu 11.04 with all three displays enabled. It seems very odd to me that the Windows driver is limited, yet the Linux driver is not.

Is there any trick to force the third display to enable? Is this a problem with Windows 8 or a limitation of the driver?

0 Kudos
90 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

The driver will work with triple display depending on the interfaces that are being used for this. Keep in mind that this needs to be done through separate video pipelines. However being this a dock station, you may need to check with your manufacturer to see how these video ports are going through the system, as the dock may just simply be working as a splitter for just a single DisplayPort line in the system.

So check with Lenovo to see if three independent displays are supported and what configurations are supported with your specific computer model.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

But wouldn't it be logical to assume the hardware supports the configuration if it's working when booted into Ubuntu? This seems to be a limitation of the Windows driver.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

I can confirm I can also run three monitors from my HD 4000 under Ubuntu 13.04, works perfectly

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

Whoops, I just realized the error in my original post. Indeed, I meant to say I was using Ubuntu 13.04, not 11.04 as I said.

Anyway, I'm glad to hear this is working for others as well. If only the Windows driver could catch up with the Linux one...

I wonder if it should be reported as a bug?

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Please update the video driver installed using the file posted here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Desktop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=3rd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+4000&ProdId=3712&LineId=1100&FamilyId=39 Download Center

In addition check with Lenovo to install the latest BIOS for your system.

Once this is done, could you please copy paste here the dxdiag report generated in your system to have more information on what is being used? do you have more details (part number or model number) for the dock station that is being used?

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

Thanks for your continued help. I am already running the latest HD 4000 driver from your website (9.18.10.3165) and I also have the latest BIOS from Lenovo (2.54).

The laptop is a Lenovo T430. Type: 2347-2H7.

The dock is a ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3 with USB3.0. Type: 4338-15U.

As requested, here's the output from dxdiag. The report is identical (verified using a file comparer) with either of the external monitors active (which is expected, since they're identical).

dxdiag

------------------

System Information

------------------

Time of this report: 6/26/2013, 13:43:48

Machine name: T430

Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64-bit (6.2, Build 9200) (9200.win8_gdr.130410-1505)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: LENOVO

System Model: 23472H7

BIOS: Phoenix BIOS SC-T v2.2

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz

Memory: 16384MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 16082MB RAM

Page File: 4361MB used, 28104MB available

Windows Dir: C:\windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

User DPI Setting: Using System DPI

System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)

DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled

DxDiag Version: 6.02.9200.16384 64bit Unicode

------------

DxDiag Notes

------------

Display Tab 1: No problems found.

Display Tab 2: No problems found.

Sound Tab 1: No problems found.

Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------

DirectX Debug Levels

--------------------

Direct3D: 0/4 (retail)

DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)

DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)

DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)

DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)

DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)

DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

---------------

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation

Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

DAC type: Internal

Device Type: Full Device

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0166&SUBSYS_21F317AA&REV_09

Display Memory: 1792 MB

Dedicated Memory: 32 MB

Shared Memory: 1760 MB

Current Mode: 1600 x 900 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: ThinkPad Display 1600x900

Monitor Model: unknown

Monitor Id: LEN40A1

Native Mode: 1600 x 900(p) (60.008Hz)

Output Type: Internal

Driver Name: igdumdim64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igd10iumd64.dll,igdumdim32,igd10iumd32,igd10iumd32

Driver File Version: 9.18.0010.3165 (English)

Driver Version: 9.18.10.3165

DDI Version: 11

Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1

Driver Model: WDDM 1.2

Graphics Preemption: DMA

Compute Preemption: Thread group

Driver Attributes: Final Retail

Driver Date/Size: 5/7/2013 17:22:46, 8632320 bytes

WHQL Logo'd: Yes

WHQL Date Stamp:

Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4226-11CF-4778-F901B4C2C435}

Vendor ID: 0x8086

Device ID: 0x0166

SubSys ID: 0x21F317AA

Revision ID: 0x0009

Driver Strong Name: oem92.inf:5f63e5341859ec8c:iIVBM_w8:9.18.10.3165:pci\ven_8086&dev_0166

Rank Of Driver: 00E02001

Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C

DXVA2 Modes: DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_VLD DXVA2_ModeMPEG2_IDCT DXVA2_ModeWMV9_IDCT DXVA2_ModeVC1_IDCT DXVA2_ModeH264_VLD_NoFGT

Deinterlace Caps: {BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YUY2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(UYVY,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(YV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(NV12,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_EdgeFiltering

{335AA36E-7884-43A4-9C91-7F87FAF3E37E}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend DeinterlaceTech_BOBVerticalStretch

{5A54A0C9-C7EC-4BD9-8EDE-F3C75DC4393B}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC1,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,0) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBlend

{BF752EF6-8CC4-457A-BE1B-08BD1CAEEE9F}: Format(In/Out)=(IMC2,YUY2) Frames(Prev/Fwd/Back)=(0,0,1) Caps=VideoProcess_YUV2RGB VideoProcess_StretchX VideoProcess_StretchY VideoProcess_AlphaBl...

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Thank you for this information, let me check further on this and get back to you.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner
0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

Hello,

I just wanted to give you an update on my situation.

The DisplayPort to DVI adapters I was using were passive adapters. I ordered some active DisplayPort to DVI adapters and now the option to enable all 3 monitors appears!

It is still unknown to me why the Linux driver is compatible with the passive adapters while the Windows driver is not, but at least I have been able to get my system working properly.

If anyone else is having the same problem, I would suggest they switch to using active adapters, at least until the problem with the Windows driver is sorted out.

0 Kudos
RKenn3
Beginner

I have the same problem with a Dell Latitude E6330 running Windows 7 in a dell docking station.

Ubuntu 12.04 supports 2 screens and the laptop display, but windows only supports any 2 of the 3.

Given the docking station already has 2 dvi outputs, I'm not sure how I could integrate active adaptors without abandoning the docking station.

Is there any update on an driver fix?

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

drlarsen, please try the driver posted for your product here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT073828 http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT073828

The direct link for driver download is here:

http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/g1d854ww.exe http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles/g1d854ww.exe

delphiHero, keep in mind that triple display requires displays to be using DisplayPort interfaces, in your case the system is using DVI which would not be a validated configuration.

0 Kudos
RKenn3
Beginner

Diego,

Thanks for the response. There is actually displayports beside the dvi ports (I assume paired) - I'll try get some connectors to test it out.

But the question remains - it works in ubuntu (with dvi), so couldn't be a hardware issue, why does the windows driver not support it?

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

What is the model of the dock station? And as asked to drlarsen, did you check if triple display is validated for your system and tested using the drivers they provide for your system?

Please keep in mind that It might be working on Linux, however this may be an unintended result.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

You mean Intel forgot to cripple the Linux driver? What an absurd suggestion. If it works in Linux, it can work in Windows as clearly it is not a hardware limitation, but rather a software one.

0 Kudos
powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

drlarsen wrote:

You mean Intel forgot to cripple the Linux driver? What an absurd suggestion. If it works in Linux, it can work in Windows as clearly it is not a hardware limitation, but rather a software one.

Indeed!

0 Kudos
ROBERT_U_Intel
Employee

@ drlarsen. Does this issue occur with the Windows* 8 installation provided by Lenovo for your system? Did it occur with the system out of the box? Have you contacted Lenovo support for this issue?

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

Yes it occurs out of the box with the default installation. Lenovo support is not helpful. Their recommendation is to buy their USB video adapter. When I point out that the current hardware works fine in Ubuntu, I'm told that is not a supported platform.

I have to be honest with you here. I don't see this as a Lenovo problem. After all, it is the Intel driver that is not presenting the option to enable the third display.

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

Interesting. I am trying to figure out what kind of scam microsoft is running here on "active" adapters. That is a disgrace if your passive adapters work in Ubuntu but not in Windows.

I am also interested in this post because I have a motherboard with 2 thunderbolt/miniDP outputs, a DVI, HDMI and VGA. It is a GA-Z77X UP5 TH and it was touted as the 3 monitor board to get, so I did....since I specifically wanted to use an ivy bridge w/ no dedicated card and 3 monitors.

I am trying to run 3 monitors as well in windows. All monitors are exactly the same. I have 2 adapters on the thunderbolt outs to DVI since the monitors take DVI. On the 3rd I use HDMI. This is exactly how the MOBO manufacturer recommended and advertised their "triple monitor" board. I think the adapters are "passive" but they work perfectly.

Bottom line, I can only get 2 of the 3 monitors on at any given time, all combinations. If I unplug any one monitor the one that had "no signal" turns on and functions perfectly.

In Windows 7 (x64), All 3 monitors are shown but # 3 is greyed out and cannot be "extended" or "cloned". No matter what I do it will not come on.

In the Intel HD graphics control panel, only 2 displays show. It does not even see the third monitor.

I am using the latest BIOS. I have updated all drivers to latest.

I find this absolutely silly in fact, all the hype about 3 monitors and we find out it is a hoax unless you feel like buying aftermarket pricey adapters.

So is this the only option? switch to Ubuntu or buy adapters?

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

Unfortunately, I don't think you'll get much help from Intel. At first I was hopeful of a resolution, but then I realized all they do is pass the problem off on a third party for what is clearly their software problem (I'm having a problem with my Intel wifi card and the end result is the same).

While I think people should continue to complain so that Intel (hopefully) gets the message, I wouldn't hold out hope for a quick resolution. Instead, save yourself the frustration and pick up a couple active DP adapters. You don't need to buy the expensive ones, just go with a cheaper name brand one (~$25 each). Yeah, it sucks to have to shell out more money, but I think that's your only option short of going with a secondary graphics card.

Also, before you spend any money, I'd suggest downloading Ubuntu and running it from the DVD or a USB stick without installing it, just to make sure your hardware really does support triple monitors as you expect.

0 Kudos
DH_1
Beginner

Have you also noticed that if Intel does not like you on this forum, your replies magically disappear and cannot be recovered? And they magically do not post? Imagine if they put as much work into the coding of their software as they do policing their forum!

I just spent 10 minutes typing a response, hit reply and poof....gone

Bottom line:

my MOBO supports triple monitors WITHOUT ADAPTERS

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/8ClNIeW.jpg[/IMG] http://i.imgur.com/8ClNIeW.jpg[/IMG]

BUT intel's software DOES NOT SUPPORT TRIPLE MONITORS

If you have to buy adapters, then I call this false advertising. Similar to Hawaiian punch --real fruit juice -- NOT.

Man they were blowing the trumpets about the 4000....and it can't even do triple monitors in a work environment.

0 Kudos