Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

HD Graphics 620 driver causing high CPU with Dell laptop and Win 20H2 update

svs95
Beginner

Every time I install the latest HD Graphics 620 driver through Windows Update or through intel's driver update site, I get high CPU utilization by many processes, causing system slowdown and constant fan running. Idle CPU utilization somewhere between 40-60%.

The workaround was to go to the Dell site and download the previous version of the Dell/Intel driver. Afterward, idle CPU is 3-4% and the fan is silent.

This is on a Dell Inspiron 15 7560 with Windows 20H2 Build 19042.928.

First noticed when the driver was installed by Windows Update. Had I not been paying attention, I wouldn't know which update caused the problem, nor would I have found a workaround. The processes that exhibit excessive CPU consumption are NOT Intel's, but the problem is solved by rolling back the intel driver. Go figure.

Please be on the lookout for these complaints as MS forces people into the 20H2 development path.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello svs95 

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. 

Please share with us the following information:

• Driver version that starts the high usage problem.
  • Driver version that resolves it.
  • Did this happen on previous Windows versions?
  • Provide the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) 
    • Download the Intel SSU https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows
    • Open the application and select "Everything" click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".  
    • Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  
    • To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".  

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
svs95
Beginner

Thank you for replying!

The driver that causes the problem is the Windows Update version of 27.20.100.8854, and the driver I rolled back to is 26.20.100.6859.

I don't know whether the problem would have occurred had Windows not updated itself at the same time. I can only say it has never happened before. I also don't know whether any newer drivers than the one I used as a workaround might also work without the CPU racing issue.

I can only say that version 27.20.100.8854 of the Intel HD Graphics driver causes this problem with Windows 20H2 (19042.928), and that Intel driver version 26.20.100.6859 doesn't cause the problem.

Here is the SSU details file.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We're working on this request, the updates will be posted on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
svs95
Beginner

That’s great to know, thank you! I’ll keep an eye open for that.

All the best!

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

After looking at the information provided, we noticed that the problem mainly occurs with generic drivers. The drivers provided by the laptop manufacturer have been customized specifically for your computer. Intel® drivers do not include those customizations therefore they are considered generic. Intel® recommends that users use the driver updates provided by their system vendor / manufacturer to eliminate the potential impact caused by loading non-custom drivers. System builders periodically customize generic Intel drivers to meet the needs of their specific system design. In such cases, the use of the generic Intel driver update is not recommended.

Finally, the latest graphics driver provided by Dell is from 2019, but as you can see at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/96551/Intel-HD-Graphics-620 Intel® has released newer versions after that. If you need newer custom drivers, you can contact the OEM and let them know.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
svs95
Beginner

Hi, David,

The problem isn’t that I need a new driver. The one I’m using works perfectly. The problem isn’t that Dell doesn’t have a new OEM driver. The problem is that Windows installs the generic Intel driver automatically, and I have to use the windows update show/hide troubleshooter to keep it from reinstalling automatically.

Please don’t use the Windows Update path to push the problematic generic drivers onto customers' computers. Please let us get our own drivers from OEM support sites or from Intel if need be, or else allow us to keep a driver if we want to without going through hoops to prevent Windows from changing it. Changing something as fundamental as a graphics driver should be an "opt-in" process, not an "opt-out" default.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thanks for the clarification, what you describe are automatic Windows updates. Intel® drivers will not be "forced" into your system unless you install them manually or through a specific application (such as Intel® DSA).

If Windows automatically installs generic drivers, you can contact Microsoft for more information on how to disable this option.

If you need additional information, post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
svs95
Beginner

Sadly, for the rest of you with this same problem, the Dell version of driver version 27.20.100.8854 has the same bug. Cannot be used due to high CPU usage. I have had to run the wushowhide.diagcab in order to prevent the driver from appearing in Windows Update.

The moderator is partly correct, in that Windows Update won't install the driver automatically unless you click on "Check for updates" button in the Windows update Settings window (which I will NEVER again do!).

0 Kudos