Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

HDMI Audio loses layout on Haswell and Silent Stream Bug

osetn
Beginner

First Problem i have: (nothing found in Web about this isue)

On Win7 Haswell HDMI audio loses layout (example - center outputs on Rear left and so on). this happens especially after refresh rate change. Only Restarting the PC will help (tried deactivating hdmi audio, replug hdmi, ...).

I have testet this on serveral Mainboards and Processors.

The Problem excists randomly, and is difficult to reproduce.

Second problem:

the well known Silent Stream Bug (on Haswell, Sandy, Ivy). This is a no-go for mediacenter PC (ATI has fixed this isue). When will this be fixed on Intel?

When No Sound played in Windows, a Connected HDMI AMP switches to No Signal.

HDMI should permanent send Silent Audio, otherwise HDMI receivers cannot sync to signal (they dont know if there is 5.1 or 2 channel PCM audio).

Is intel aware of these issues and working on it?

regards, onur

0 Kudos
1 Solution
SGold4
Beginner

I am also having the HDMI channel layout issue with Intel HD Graphics / Display Audio. I have a Dell Inspiron 3647 small desktop with a Haswell Pentium hooked up to my Preamp (Emotiva UMC-200) via an HDMI cable. I can reproduce the issue using J River Media Center. I have the audio output set to 192 KHz/24-bit 5.1 PCM audio when watching movies (@ 23.98 fps) using a WASAPI interface for audio. If I repeatedly switch between watching different movies and skip around within the movies, eventually the channel mapping will become wrong and stay that way until the computer is rebooted. I can also just leave the computer on for a while and many times I will try to play a movie and the channel mapping issue will occur.

Bitstreaming audio (Dolby Digital / DTS-HD) directly to the Preamp will many times just stop working too until the computer is rebooted.

In order to eliminate J River Media Center as the source of the problem, I can close it and open the Windows sound test application which will still play audio out of the wrong channels. In order to eliminate the Pre Amp as the source of the problem, I unplugged the HDMI cable from the computer and then connected my TV to the computer with another HDMI cable. While the TV only supports a stereo input, the left/right channels will be swapped. So once the issue occurs with 5.1 audio, it will carry over to 2 channel audio. Rebooting the system is the only way to correct the issue.

I am currently using the Intel HD Graphics / Display Audio drivers provided on the Dell website, but if I use the latest version from the Intel website, the issue seems to get worse. This issue cannot be fixed by powering on/off any device connected to the PC or replugging in the HDMI cable.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
25 Replies
JTuom
Beginner

Unfortunately for me it seems to be getting more and more common. I have to reboot about once per week when the channels get messed up. I have updated to the latest beta drivers as well but it seems that Intel isn't even acknowledging that there is an issue.

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Peers:

It has been a while since we handled this thread, so there are newer drivers to be tested for Haswell platform.

I would like you to use the drivers below and let us know how it goes.

Beta 15.40.26.4474 // https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26099/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88355 Download Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

15.40.25.446 //https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26078/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88355 Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 and Windows 7*/8.1* [15.40]

How can you let us know this? Filling out the form here:

Handing over to us the SSU report as well as the Graphics report from your systems.

How to get the SSU report?

-Access: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility Download Intel® System Support Utility

-Download the utility

-Scan your system with the utility

-Export the report (hit next and then save) and attach it to your answer with the advanced editor option (reply button and then check upper right corner)

How to get the http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005848.html Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers

Hope I can hear from you guys positively.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hi, Guys:

I was wondering, were you able to get the information requested above?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
WPayn1
Beginner

I am experiencing the same issues on an Intel Nuc w/ i3 4010U, but the beta drivers you posted what install for that processor. Any ideas how I can fix this issue on my NUC? I am running Windows 7 64bit...

Thanks

Bill P

0 Kudos
MWin
Beginner

I have the same issues with my Intel NUC NUC6i7KYK(Scull Canyon) running Windows 10 Pro.

And as I'm using it as a mediacenter it's a really annoying bug that needs to be fixed immediately!

I'm running all the latest firmwares and drivers.

It's really annoying that I have to use optical audio output when I could be using HDMI with return channel so I just have to have one remote for the entire setup instead of one for TV and one for receiver.

0 Kudos