Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

HDMI monitor isn't detected after updates Win 10 1809 on Z-X8750 with Intel HD 405

JShea2
New Contributor I

Windows 10 updated from 1803 to 1809. At that point, my second monitor was displaying at a wrong resolution. I went to the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel App. My saved profile which had been working was there, so I attempted to apply it. This caused some type of glitch and I got a blue screen with a happy face while the PC attempted to repair.

I then installed "Intel Driver and Support Assistant" and updated all offered drivers. It did update the graphics driver from 20.19.15.4474 (June 2016) to 20.19.15.5058 (Aug 2018).

I was advised to reboot, and the HDMI no longer detects any external monitor at all. Intel Graphics CP still has the profile but cannot apply it - the error is "the profile cannot be applied with the current system configuration"

The TV and two HDMI cables work with in either of the TV ports with two other Win 10 v1809 PCs (different manufacturer, so not same combination of Intel components)... I say this to confirm I have troubleshooted the monitor itself, cables, and ports.

"Roll back" the driver is greyed out, but I "updated" it back to the .4474 version; didn't help. Refresh rate is 59Hz or 60 Hz depending where you look (I understand the 60Hz is nominal only and it is *actually* 59.9 or something like that).

Neither of the Intel download pages for .4474 and .5058 show Intel HD 405 nor z-X8750 specifically in the list of supported. There is only mention of "Braswell/Cherry Trail" and "Intel HD" and 8700. Are these versions correct for my PC ?

In Device Manager, one of the Generic PNP Monitor entries greyed out. The errors is "not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match"

0 Kudos
16 Replies
JShea2
New Contributor I

Just tried another confirmed working monitor and third HDMI cable - an actual monitor, not a TV - also not detected. In addition, I was able to test and the displayport port is also non functional.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello JShea2, Thank you for joining this Intel Community. The latest graphics driver version for your processor graphics is version 15.40.41.5058. Try performing a clean install of the graphics driver: 1.Disconnect your unit from the Internet. 2.Uninstall both the Intel Graphics driver and the Intel Display audio driver. To do this, please follow the steps on the link below under these sections: -Uninstalling the Intel Graphics Driver via the Device Manager Method -Uninstalling the Intel® Display Audio Driver or the Intel® HDMI Audio Driver via the Device Manager Method. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005598/graphics-drivers.html 3.Restart your computer. Go to Windows* Device Manager and check if Windows* installed another version of the graphics driver. If it does, please remove it and restart your computer one more time. Repeat the process until you get the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. 4.Once you do, please proceed with the clean install of the latest graphics driver version: Version: 15.40.41.5058 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28163/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40- 5.Once the latest driver has been installed, you may enable your Internet connection again. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello JShea2, Were you able to perform the steps recommended above? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JShea2
New Contributor I

I have tried this method - NOT CONNECTED to internet, uninstall and remove driver files for the "Display Adapter", "Monitor", and "Sound, video, and game controllers". So I ended up with the basic or standard MS drivers only. Neither HDMI nor displayport worked with only the MS drivers. My UNSUCCESSFUL 4 attempts (CLEAN back to MS each time):

• Install Intel 5058 (previously downloaded, so still not connected to internet to prevent Windows from updating any drivers).
  • Install PC manufacturers original driver pack (gave me Intel .4474 mentioned above) - didn't work, so then installed Intel .5058 over top (both previously downloaded)
  • Connect to internet and let Windows install the driver - gave me Intel 4549 (Nov 2016) - didn't work, so then installed Intel .5058 over top
  • Connect to internet and use "Intel Driver and Support Assistant" - it gave me .5058

0 Kudos
JShea2
New Contributor I

The DSA logs shows that 15.40.41.5058 has actually been installed since Oct. (so it had been working for months prior to the Windows update to 1809).

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello JShea2, Thank you for your response. An updated Intel® graphics driver is not required on legacy platforms (e.g. 5th Generation and older) for the new Microsoft Windows* 10 versions. The existing Windows* 10 graphics drivers will continue to work. This issue is most likely caused by compatibility issues with Windows* 10 (1809 RS5). To address this issue, we recommend reverting back to a previous version of Windows* 10. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello JShea2, Were you able to revert back to a previous version of Windows* 10? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JShea2
New Contributor I

No, it is well over 10 days since the update, so there's no easy reversal.

I do have backups, but hoping not to go down that road.

Won't Intel update HD 405 to be compatible with 1809 if this is the case?

0 Kudos
JShea2
New Contributor I

Is this related? There is an "unknown device" under "Other devices" with an exclamation point:

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

Under the Events tab, it refers to Intel SST

Management concluded the process to install driver isstrtc.inf_amd64_d9f5d3b38ff8b9b5 for Device Instance ID ACPI\808622A8\1 with the following status: 0x0.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello JShea2, Thank you for your response. Connecting multiple monitors to mobile systems may or may not be possible depending on the video connections available. Also, Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) may limit how many displays you can connect at the same time. In this case, reverting back to a previous version of Windows* 10 should address this issue. We would like to gather the following information: 1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread. 1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View. 3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer. 2. Computer model and the monitors you have been using. 3. Please describe how you are connecting the monitors to your system and the video connections/cables you are using. 4. Does this issue occur if you run Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) drivers? Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello JShea2, If you have any further questions, please let us know. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JShea2
New Contributor I

My report is attached.

Can you confirm my understanding of this situation?

I have been reading articles that use the verbiage "required" ... as in the "modern" / DCH / "universal" drivers are *REQUIRED* as of Windows 10 v 1809 - that this is the new standard that MS has imposed. Intel has published a list using the following words" ONLY ... controllers listed below will ... update to ...DCH"

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000031275/graphics-drivers.html

As the HD 405 is not in that list, I guess I am stuck with resetting my under one year old PC to factory status and ensuring it never updates any further than 1803. Why doesn't Intel have Microsoft BLOCKING this update when there is an older adapter that Intel will not support?

0 Kudos
JShea2
New Contributor I

The file upload here would not accept the report's native .html, so I C/P just the text.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello JShea2, To make the most out of the new features introduced by the new versions of Windows* 10, 6th Gen platforms may be required. As mentioned on your post, to install Windows* DCH drivers, only the Intel® Graphics Controllers listed on the support web link are supported. If the issue persists after installing the latest generic driver available for your system, please check these recommendations: 1. We recommend installing the drivers provided by your system manufacturer. Sirius A (Ockel) https://www.ockelcomputers.com/support/sirius-a/ NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there. We supply generic versions of graphics drivers for general purposes. Computer manufacturers can change the features, incorporate customizations, or make other changes to the graphics driver software or software packaging. To avoid potential installation incompatibilities, we recommend that you first check with your computer manufacturer and use the driver software provided. Please check your system model. 2. Try other ports. We recommend straight-through connections with singles cables. Video connections available: -DisplayPort -HDMI -USB Type-C 3. Make sure the monitors are running the latest firmware and drivers. 4. If you are still unable to connect external monitors to your system, please contact your system manufacturer for further support and warranty options. In addition, we recommend contacting Microsoft* to get more information about Windows* update services. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
JShea2
New Contributor I

Wanner, I wish to thank your for your replies so far! Much appreciated.

I am still unclear on whether WIndows 10 1809 new driver type standard (DCH/DCHU/Universal) means that any items without new style drivers simply cease to function?! I have asked on WIndows 10 forums as well.

I have not a clue how to update firmware on TV or monitors. I did at one point, go back to the Ockel provided driver version, and it did not resolve the issues. I had actually been running with the later Intel driver (Intel DSA installed) AOK for several weeks prior to the Windows update.

Here's something new .. I got my hands on a USB-C adapter which includes a HDMI and a VGA port. The same TV and monitor and cables work thru that HDMI, and a VGA monitor works ... Windows detects either monitor and I can toggle between all the modes just fine (PC only, duplicate, extend, etc...) and I can manage those screens via the Intel graphics control panel software also. Attempting to plug back into the built-in HDMI port directly still fails to work. Is it possible that the adapter or the USB-C port has the proper DCH driver so it works doing to same work that the built-in ports fail to do ?

One thing that I thought of - after doing the Win 10 update, I ran the Intel DSA. Is it possible that it gave me a BIOS update or adjusted some settings in the BIOS? In this case, which setting(s) in BIOS should I verify that may be responsible for disabling the built-in external HDMI and Displayport ports ? I looked at the BIOS but nothing was obvious to me as to controlling these ports.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel
Hello JShea2, Generic drivers (i.e Legacy) work for general purposes. As long as they are supported by the operating system, you can continue using these drivers. However, depending on the applications and games you run, you may encounter some issues. It really depends on your system configuration. Intel recommends getting graphics drivers directly from your computer manufacturer. It is your OEM's responsibility to release a DCH driver to their own websites and to Windows Update. Now, if you are unable to connect external monitors or devices to the HDMI* and DisplayPort* ports, that could be a hardware issue. It is also possible that you can fix this from BIOS, but when it comes to BIOS, we recommend you to contact your system manufacturer since modifying BIOS settings involves some risk. Wanner G. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos