Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Help with laptop not properly assigning tasks to the integrated laptop gpu instead of the nvidia gpu

SleepyT
Beginner

I recently bought an asus rog strix laptop with a nvidia 2070 graphics card. when i first booted it up, and used it for a week, it assigned nothing other than video games to run on the nvidia gpu. recently i had a problem and hat to reset (reinstall) windows and since then, my 2070 is running all sorts of random, non graphics intensive processes. I've done research and ended up adding every program available to prefer the integrated graphics card instead of the 2070 . i did that originally in the windows advance graphics settings, when that didnt work, i then doubled down and did it in the nvidia control panel as well. BUT THE PROGRAMS I ADDED ARE STILL USING THE 2070! its like 5-6 programs, some open and close randomly, but i have to assume there is something wrong, and this is going to negatively impact my frame rate so I need it to stop! PLEASE HELP! BTW I am using amoury crate a built in gaming app on the ROG strix to view what apps are using the 2070. It also says in the list that I should Stop all of the programs running for better performance. When i try to use the amoury crate app to stop them, it says "cann't stop program, its being used for an external monitor". which make sense. but that doesnt explain why they are running on the 2070 instead of the integrated gpu. also side question, my monitor is using the 2070, not the integrated chip. Is that normal? could that be the cause? PLEASE HELP! and thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AlHill
Super User

LOL?

Go to your ASUS support site for your laptop. 

Get and install the Intel graphics driver.

Get and install the nvidia graphics driver.

Test.

If it still has a problem, contact asus support.

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Use BOTH the Intel driver and nvidia driver provided by asus.  If the problem still occurs, contact asus for support.

SleepyT
Beginner
I will try this if u can explain where and how I do that! Lol.
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

LOL?

Go to your ASUS support site for your laptop. 

Get and install the Intel graphics driver.

Get and install the nvidia graphics driver.

Test.

If it still has a problem, contact asus support.

0 Kudos
SleepyT
Beginner
The LOL was because I’m dumb when it comes to windows and I figured I sounded that way. I’ve always owned macs and this is my first windows computer. Anyhow.. IT WORKED!! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I’ve been trying to fix it for 12 hours straight. It never occurred to me that the drivers could need to be reinstalled after having JUST done a fresh install. But whatever. It worked! Thanks again!
0 Kudos
SleepyT
Beginner
I will try this if u can explain where and how I do this! Lol
0 Kudos