Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20720 Discussions

High memory consumption in WPF App with Intel graphics

SaschaH
Beginner

Hello,

we are developing a WPF .NET Framework application for a customer. This App is in use for over 6 years and since the costumer gets new laptops there is a big memory problem. When the user opens the application on a new laptops, the memory consumption is much higher then usually. But things get worse, when a third party component for charts (https://lightningchart.com/) is rendered in the app.  Sometimes it is necessary to show up to 10 charts at a time.  In this case the memory consumption rises up 1.5 - 3 GB in task manager and this memory is not released again by the garbage collector and after a short time the whole app freezes and have to shut down.

LightningChart uses DirectX and may be this is makign problem more worse. But the base problem seems to be, that all .NET WPF apps are consuming more memory on this special laptops. A empty WPF app usually use 10-20 MB memory. On this laptops it uses 80-100 MB directly after start.

I have found some threads which describe similar effects:

UHD710: High memory usage and memory leak issues with WPF application. - Intel Community

.Net WPF Application high memory consumption - Intel Community

Here are also two examples of laptop configurations with this fault:

------------------
1. System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Latitude 5530
BIOS: 1.13.2 (type: UEFI)
Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1245U (12 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) UHD Graphics
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) UHD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal

------------------
2. System Information
------------------
Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (10.0, Build 19045) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: German (Regional Setting: German)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
System Model: Latitude 5540
BIOS: 1.4.1 (type: UEFI)
Processor: 13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1345U (12 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) UHD Graphics
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) UHD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal

"Solutions":

1. Changing graphic driver: With our costumer we have tried different intel driver versions, because in some threads this was a solution. But all drivers we tried, there were only slight changes. Only if we use the Microsoft default driver the problem was solved - now more memory consumption, the app works well as before. But this is not a practical solution, because the laptops are updated regularly and the driver is overwritten with the newest.

2. Setting SoftwareRendering option in WPF application: Then the memory consumption is moderate but the performance for charts is very poor, so it could not be used. 

So the problem seems to be connected directly to the hardware configuration and to the used graphic card driver. 

We need a solution very urgently.

Are there any known solutions, beside the above mentioned?

Is this issue known and is it worke on by intel or microsoft?

Thank you

Sascha Hennig

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

SaschaH, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We are sorry to hear about this issue and we will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. 

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, please attach the complete SSU report of one of the laptops showing the high memory consumption issue when using the WPF App, so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello SaschaH

We hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to generate the report? 

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

0 Kudos
SaschaH
Beginner

Dear Jose B., 

the problem still exists. We are in process to get the data, but it is not so easy because of security matters of our costumer.

How can I transfer the logs in a save way to you? The costumer don't want that the files are public.

Best regards,

Sascha H.

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello SaschaH

Thank you for your response.

I understand the situation regarding the security, however, the report is very important to us in order to continue with our investigation. I will send a private response for you to attach the file.

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello SaschaH

We hope you are doing fine. 

Were you able to generate the report?  

Let us know if you still need assistance. 

Best regards,  

Jose B.   

0 Kudos
Jose_Intel
Employee

Hello SaschaH

We hope you are having a nice day. 

We have not heard back from you. So, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored. 

Best regards. 

Jose B.  

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos
SaschaH
Beginner

Dear Jose B.,

our customer is a greater company and there such decision making takes a little while. They are very cautious in excecuting applications which claim admin rights.  I'm sorry that takes such a long time. I hope at start of next week, we are getting data.

Best regards,

Sascha

0 Kudos
SaschaH
Beginner

Dear Jose B.,

have you received the two files?

Best regards,

Sascha

0 Kudos
SaschaH
Beginner

Dear Jose B.,

now we have the desired files from our costumer. They have made two files: The first one "Intel_Scan_2023_09_28.txt" was without our application executed. And the second one "Intel_Scan_2023_09_28_2.txt" was with our application open and a memory consumption about 2 GB. I will send the files using the private response channel.

One info to the test: It was under remote reviewing from the costumer IT and because of this the screen resolution was not as high as normal beside other slight effects concerning the screen.

I hope these files could help, resolving the problem.

Best regards,

Sascha

0 Kudos
SaschaH
Beginner

Dear Jose B.,

have you received the two files? 

Best regards,

Sascha

0 Kudos
SaschaH
Beginner

Dear Jose B.,

it is a very long time, that I heard of you. Have you recieved the two files? May be, is there a solution for this bug?
Best regards,

Sascha

0 Kudos