Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

How to change resolution of the additional display if it's not allowed by Intel® HD Graphics 4000 ?

Amoth
Beginner

Additional diplay (Dell U2717D) in not working properly with my laptop ASUS N56VV. Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (only HDMI port) in not allowing display to use its own preferences (color calibration/resolution). Can anyone help?

Adding a print screen of HD Graphics 4000 and Nvidia specifications.

Unfortunatelly, if I rightly understood, HDMI port is not connected with Nvidia, so I can't use its settings.

Screenshot (2).png

The maximum allowed resolution is 2048x1080. Resolution of my display is 2566 x 1440Screenshot (3).png

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Have you contacted ASUS? Are you using ONLY the asus graphic drivers for both nvidia AND intel?

What version of Windows 10? 1909?

Doc

0 Kudos
Amoth
Beginner

Hi.

• I didn't contact ASUS.
  • I use newest drivers for both of them
  • Yes, Win 10 1909
0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

No, not the newest drivers, but the drivers provided by ASUS.

Contact ASUS for support.

Doc

0 Kudos
Amoth
Beginner

In the beginning I had drivers provided by ASUS than newest versions.

Yes, I will. I just think that the problem is that Intel HD Graphics 4000 has max supported resolution through HDMI - 1920x1080..

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Worse than that, HD4000 graphics are discontinued and unsupported.

Doc

0 Kudos
Amoth
Beginner

Ok, understood.

I will ASUS support now, but thay can send me here so I need to be sure that nothing can help.

On my wifes laptop with Intel HD 4600 (mini DP port) everything working perfectly..

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

The issue is that, when you have two graphics solutions - but only one can own the output at any point in time - the vendor has to customize the drivers so that they will work together (support switching between which is active, etc.). Vendors will also customize the drivers to implement support for their special features - brightness, eDP frequency, etc. If you use the generic drivers from Intel, NVIDIA and/or AMD, these special features and customization will be lost and problems could occur. It is important to understand how this works (whether customizations exist) so you know whether updated drivers from Intel, NVIDIA and/or AMD can be used.

For the 4th gen. Core processors (Intel HD Graphics 4600), 2K@60Hz was (also) listed as the maximum, just like for the 3rd gen. Core processors (Intel HD Graphics 4000). I was able to get 4K@30Hz to work on the HDMI connector, however. In your case, I think the bugaboo is you have a UWD monitor. I do not believe that Intel had support for this back then.If you use a normal 2K monitor, does it work as you would expect?

...S

0 Kudos
Amoth
Beginner
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I was generalizing. What you have is a monitor whose resolution (2560x1440) is above the maximum (1920x1200) supported by the processor's HDMI capabilities.

There are a couple things that you can do,

1. Purchase a more-modern laptop. Your's is getting long in the tooth.
  2. Utilize a USB 3.0-based graphics adapter or docking station that makes a HDMI port available. Here are some examples (not endorsing; just examples):

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Amoth
Beginner

Thanks you very much.

I love my laptop, its very nicely done, producer just didn't take care about future in that particular case 🙂 But more modern in slowly coming.

Adapter is very cool solution, I didn't know that it exist.

But today I found a solution. Somebody 8 years ago had the same situation and write instruction how to trick the graphics card.

With this (9.17.10.2792) graphcis driver I had to set resolution manually in advanced mode. The only issue that maximum refresh rate is 50Hz (not 60Hz like monitor has) but I can deal with that.

And its working.

Once again, thank you very much.

0 Kudos