Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20589 Discussions

How to fix: "Can't update graphics driver to the latest version!"

JThap
Beginner

Dear Users,

Hi, I've had the Intel HD Graphics 620 for about two - three years and haven't had a problem at all when trying to update it. However, today, when I went to update my driver, it kept on saying, "Installed failed to start." I don't know what the issue is.

I even unistalled the driver, and went back to the Microsoft Basic Graphics Adapter. I then reinstalled the latest driver. But when I opened up Intel Drivers Update App, it said I need to update the graphics driver still for same random reason.

I went back on the website and kept on pressing update all. It's still coming up with the same message, "Install failed to start." Can someone help me fix this problem.

Yours Sincerely,

John Thapa

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User

Hello John,

When you say " I then reinstalled the latest driver." , it is not good enough. You need to say what version did you try to install. In this case the latest version of the DCH Graphics Driver is Version: 26.20.100.8141 . Did you tried to install this version?

Leon

0 Kudos
JThap
Beginner

No. I can only install 26.20.100.7985. When I try to install the latesy version, it says, "Install failed to start."​

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

You can install version 7985 while the 8141 is failing to install? Or, you didn't try to install 8141 yet? If you didn't, try to install it over Microsoft Basic Graphics Driver.

Leon

0 Kudos
JThap
Beginner

Here's the issue. I have to install 7985 before, because if I go to check for drivers, it says no detected. But then after i install 7985, it says to update. But on the website, there is no update available for HD Graphics 620 except for 7985 for some reason.​

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

We are telling you to manually download and run the installer for the 8141 driver. Do not do anything involving the Intel Driver and Support Assistant (IDSA) tool until after you have this driver updated. Here is a link to quickly get you to the download page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29530/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers. Again, install this driver while only the Microsoft Basic Graphics Adapter is present.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos