Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20603 Discussions

How to get 10bit and 12bit output on HD graphics 620 and windows 10.

PRose6
Novice

I have a Lenovo thinkpad T470s. When running Windows 10 pro 1709 ​the laptop outputs full 36bit deep color (12bpc) to the external monitor just fine.

When windows force updates to 1803, the thing only outputs 8bit.

My understanding is that this is driver related, since other users with simillar problems with discrete graphics got them sorted with updated drivers. Howerver this has not worked out for me in this case. How do I fix the problem.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
PRose6, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support. In order to try to fix this problem, we recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them work with your specific platform, please try driver 24.20.100.6286: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/cr/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t470s/downloads If the problem persists, since the processor works with Intel® HD Graphics 620 we can try to install the Intel® generic graphics driver version DCH 25.20.100.6519: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28515/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=96551 Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
PRose6, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PRose6
Novice

Hi Alberto.

Yes I tried. The machine was upgraded again to 1803 and again 10bit and 12bit is no longer possible although the graphics settings are set to equal as with 1709, including full quantization range and YCbCr enabled. Once windows updates to 1803 windows only outputs in 8bit mode. I reinstalled the Lenovo specific driver with no change. The generic driver does not finish installation complaining the system does not support the driver.

Because I made changes to the accounts of the system while in 1803, it is no longer possible for me to revert back to 1709 for 10bit color mode.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi PRose6, Thank you very much for letting us know those results. You mentioned that, it is no longer possible for you to revert back to 1709 for 10-bit color mode, do you have the option or the chance to run all the Windows* updates including the upgrade to 1809 and then try to install the Intel® graphics driver? In order to do the updates please go to "Settings" then look for "Update and Security" and then try to install them. If by any chance to upgrade Windows* to version 1809 is not an option and you need to keep using 1803 please let us know. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
PRose6, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PRose6
Novice

Hi Alberto.

Thank you for your reply. I have done one better for you. I also have a X270 which is the same chipset and also equipped with the HD Graphics 620 which was fully updated, where I tried using the latest drivers supplied by lenovo. This machine did not output anything other than 8pbc regardless of what I tried. However, when completely reinstalling windows 10 Pro N 1709 from CD, this machine now outputs 12pbc just as the T470s did before it updated.

I have for the time being deactivated windows update because this is just frustrating and takes considerable time to debug. I however will run into other problems because windows will forcefully update eventually. I will try to upgrade to 1809 later on but i will use another drive and instance of windows for that testing purpose.

The thing I really want to know, is this a strategic move by Microsoft and/or intel to remove 10 and 12 pbc support from its drivers to force customers to upgrade their monitors to HDR-supported equivalents? Because with an updated Windows the HDR support seems to be the only method to achieve 10/12 pbc support. And regardles why is there no option in the driver to choose the bit depth of the resolution you chose just as with other "normal" drivers from say AMD?

Regards.

Patrick

Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi PRose6, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know that information. We will do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
PRose6, I just received an update on this matter and just to let you know, when Full Screen applications that support 10-bit or 12-bit are launched on an equally compatible monitor then the video mode will change to it. Just to confirm, what kind of Display are you using? What is the type of connection? How are you confirming 8-bit vs 10-bit configuration? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
PRose6, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PRose6
Novice

HI Alberto. Sorry for the delay but I had my Intel forum login stored on another laptop which I haven't accessed in a few days.

This is some of the gear I can play around with and what I know.

• A workstation with a proffessional PNY Quadro K4200.
  • An old desktop with a super cheap AMD Radeon HD 6450 from 2011 that despite being so obsolete, outputs both 10bpc and 12bpc in windows 7 (in xvYCC601)
  • Dell u2711 monitors capable of receiving 10bpc color depth. (Its "crippled" by DELL on the HDMI port through the EDID data so it has to be modified or used with a custom resolution or attached with Displayport for the full 10bpc, but its not really relevant to the issue)
  • Pioneer SC-LX89 receiver used as a switch and for verification of bit depth - which through GUI shows exactly what screen mode is received and what is sent out.
  • Another Pioneer big screen - which shows the color bit depth in plain text.
  • Several laptops, but lets stick to the X270 with the Intel 620 for now.

I know this issue has been discussed in the past on other tech forums. The difference here is that I KNOW that the intel HD 620 is capable of outputing 12bpc because its doing it right now. It can be verified with the Pioneer control app. See attached image. As soon as I update windows 10 beyond 1709, the video input drops to 24bit which means 8 bits per channel.

Regarding the color depth within the apps. It doesn't matter what color depth the app is capable of producing if the screen mode is not already established in windows because the relevant applications as for example Photoshop or Lightroom are windowed within windows. Its commonly known that to work with whatever graphics that might cause banding effects, the screen display mode color depth has to be set which for both the quadro and the old Radeon 6450 is clearly and easily done with a switch within their respective driver software.

Also, in windows - settings - display, once updated beyond 1709 there is an option called "advanced display settings". Clicking on that one shows the display information per screen, and for the X270 as well as the T470s says its 8-bit regardless of the color format or any other available setting that I can find. However, in 1709 this option does not exist but the display bit depth through HDMI is clearly 12-bit both in RGB and in YCbCr

Personally, I cannot understand why there is no option to manually set the color depth if the Intel HD Graphics 620 clearly is capable of throwing out 12bpc. The only reasonable explanation is that Intel and/or Microsoft is driving the transition (and thus participating in a marketing strategy) towards HDR supported monitors. Is this the case? Can I change the color depth manually somehow? Or am I simply missing something?

Screenshot_20190221-174746_iControlAV5.jpg

Regards.

/Patrick

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi PRose6, No problem at all, thank you very much for providing those details and the picture. We will continue with our research on this subject, as soon as I get any information I will post all the details on this thread. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PRose6
Novice

Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
Hi PRose6, I just received an update on this matter. In this case, if when using the same driver it works fine and it only stops working after updating the Operating System then the best thing to do will be to get in contact with Microsoft* directly to report this issue and for them to provide further suggestions on this topic: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us Is this occurring when connecting the Monitor directly to the system without the Receiver? Please provide the DxDiag report? To attach the file, once you choose "reply" select the "clip" icon on the lower left corner. Just to let you know, we are working internally to get a new Graphics Control Panel that among its new features is the ability to manually control the color depth setting. The target release is WW12 (March 17-23) but this can be subject to change. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
PRose6, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter? Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee
PRose6, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, just reply back or post a new question. Regards, Alberto R. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos