Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

How to solve display problem in Edge and Films and TV

YC0001
Beginner

Please refer to attachment below.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Contact asus for support with their laptop. And, use only the drivers provided by asus.

Doc

0 Kudos
YC0001
Beginner

Thanks for reply. However, ASUS took my laptop for "two times" and simply reinstalled the windows to its basic form and claimed the problem no longer existed. Very poor services !!!!! They insisted the hardware are fine and they are NOT responsible for the compatibility issue (that arise when windows update to recent version/patch). They told me, "why don't you use IE instead of Edge to watch video?" Why don't you use Windows Media Player instead of Films and TV ?" I really have no idea if they push the blame to Microsoft or Intel or just ignoring my case for now, as if what they have claimed is true, they only take care of the hardware pieces. Remember one thing, it is still within the warranty period but are already saying this kind of nonsense.

Go to the ASUS page to find a graphics driver of this model, only the existing (seemingly outdated?) driver version as I am using. There is no updates and thus a dead end. I personally would not recommend anyone to buy this brand as anyone might endure what I am enduring.

Perhaps any Intel guys can look into this case?

0 Kudos
AlHill
Super User

Sorry, ASUS is solely responsible for your support and their laptop.

Doc

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello YC0001,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Regarding the issue described in this thread, could you please confirm if the Intel® UHD Graphics 620 driver version shown in Device Manager is the same version shown in Windows® Apps & Features?

A- Please take some screenshots from both Windows® Apps & Features >> Intel® Graphics Driver, and Device Manager >> Display Adapter >> Properties >> Driver tab and upload it to this thread. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

B- If you have an external display, please test this behavior to see if the issue still persists? (better using a straight-through connection, for instance, HDMI-to-HDMI with a single cable). Please let us know the outcome:

C- You may also try a clean install of the graphics driver and let Microsoft® to install a proper driver, please follow these steps:

1- Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed

2- Uninstall the Intel® UHD Graphics 620 driver from Windows® >> Apps and Features. (if applicable)

3- Restart the computer.

4- Confirm in Device Manager >> Video/Display Adapters the controller is listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" >> if not, repeat steps 2 through 3.

5- If the adapter continues to be listed as "Intel UHD Graphics" or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under "Apps and Features" for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager:

5.1- Go to Device Manager, right-click on 'Intel UHD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device'

5.2- In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked.

5.3- Click on 'Uninstall'.

5.4- Restart. (Repeat steps 5.1 through 5.4 until the device gets listed as "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter")

6- Let Windows® install the proper driver from Device Manager: 

Go to Device Manager >> Video/Display Adapters >> Right-click on Microsoft Basic Display Adapter >> Update driver >> Search automatically for updated driver software.

7- Take note of the driver version installed by Windows® Update. Test to see the behavior.

Regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
YC0001
Beginner

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for replying.

On A, please see attachment screenshot1.docx, the versions are the same. On B, I use HDMI-HDMI to connect ASUS to my DELL monitor. See below videos I have taken during testing.

Below video is I stop the video at a specific frame while playing, then drag the Films and TV app window, the distortion is shown on the Dell monitor only. Both monitor is on duplicate mode (IMG8717).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TDMRPzpO6hLAKed4amNYp9bIwdTRi4eo/view?usp=sharing

Below video is I keeping playing the video, and drag the Films and TV app window, the distortion is shown on the Dell monitor only.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17vUWUqCSHaNGgU70NUAA7qUy4QbYDTcA/view?usp=sharing

Same behavior applies to watching a streaming video with Edge, the Dell side is distorted.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello YC0001,

Thank you for the details provided.

1- It is not clear if you were able to perform steps to clean install the driver and let Microsoft® install a recommended driver. O did it install the same driver version 23.20.16.4849?

2- Graphics driver 23.20.16.4849 is an old driver for the Windows® version and the 8th generation processor you have on your system. Unfortunately, it seems to be the latest customized driver on the ASUS* website*

If the issue persists after updating the driver from the Windows® update, we can always test using the latest Intel® generic drivers. Please repeat steps on section "C" in my previous post but instead install the latest Intel® UHD Graphics 620 driver version 26.20.100.7372.

3- We noticed you were advised by ASUS* to use different browsers or video players, just for testing purposes, does the issue happen when using other browsers (Internet Explorer or Firefox®) or other video players (Windows media player)?

4- Microsoft® has different fixes regarding issues with Movies&TV app and for Edge, have you tried Microsoft recommendations?

5- Please run Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify the functionality of the Intel® Processor. You can download the proper version (32 or 64 bit) from the below link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool

Please save and attached the report with the result. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply. To attach a file, you must click the “Attach” option on the bottom left-hand corner of the response box.

Note:

We tested this in our lab and we didn't get the issue described inhere. This is the details of the environment tested:

• Intel® NUC Kit NUC7i7DNHE
  • Intel® UHD Graphics 620, driver versions tested: 26.20.100.6912 (customized driver for this Intel® NUC), x.7212, x.7323, x.7372)
  • Windows® 10 Pro 18362
  • Microsoft Edge 44.18362.387.0
  • Movies&TV: 10.19072.12011.0

For every driver we tested, we played videos from a local file, YouTube™, and https://bloomberg.com/live. We also changed from normal to theater mode, full screen, tried dragging the app and the browser and we did not experience any flickering or distortion.

Andrew G.

*Links to third-party sites and references to third-party trademarks are provided for convenience and illustrative purposes only. Unless explicitly stated, Intel® is not responsible for the contents of such links, and no third party endorsement of Intel® or any of its products is implied.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello YC0001,

We would like to know if you were able to check the previous suggestions and test with the latest generic driver.

Also, were you able to contact Microsoft® or check the different fixes they have?

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
YC0001
Beginner

Hello Andrew,

Sorry, have been busy these few days. Re: Edited November 13, 2019 at 2:41 PM:

On your point 1,2, I understand the concept but I'm hesitant on doing the test by myself at this moment in time, since I have filed a complaint with my gov's council and a case opened for checking with ASUS. I will keep you posted on its progress.

On point 3, the issue does not happen when I stream video using Chrome Version 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit) or Internet Explorer 11.418.18362.0; or other video player such as Windows media player. However, I have just tried to play the video file by right click -> open with -> "Photos", and drag the window size, the problem can be reproduced! So now: Edge, Films and TV, Photos.

On point 4, tried and doesn't help. On point 5, please refer attachment.

Warm regards,

YC

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello YC0001,

Thank you for the details provided.

Based on the behavior since the issue only happens on those specific Windows Apps, this is pointing out to a problem within those Apps themself. I noticed you already reported the issue to Microsoft. Please feel free to post any update or recommendation they may provide. Hopefully, that might help other community members experiencing the same issue.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello YC0001,

I was checking the thread and I would like to know if by any chance you had the time to test point 1,2 regarding driver update. I understand you did not have time to try that at that moment, so there is no hurry.

Also, once you have any update regarding the support from Microsoft® or Asus, please feel free to share your feedback, it would be appreciated it.

Regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos