Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Ice Lake HDMI 2.0 issues with 4k60Hz and QHD@144Hz?

trenzterra
Novice

Hi there,

I recently bought an LG gram 14 (14Z90N) equipped with the i5-1035G7 processor, on the understanding that the HDMI port is version 2.0. I tested it at the store and it worked fine with the LG 4K montior at 60Hz, RGB.

However, when I brought it home, I had issues connecting to my 4K TV via HDMI. Basically, 4K 30Hz works fine, but when I try 4K 60Hz, the TV would not connect and my laptop would keep making the connect/ disconnect sound repeatedly.

Next, I tried connecting to my QHD monitor (2560x1440) which supports 144Hz output. However, I could only select up to 120Hz in the options.

In the end, I had to resort to a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter which had no issues connecting to my 4K TV and my 1440p monitor at 144Hz.

Thinking that it was an issue with the LG gram, I eventually decided to return it and purchased the recently released Asus UX425JA, which has an i5-1035G1 processor and is also equipped with an HDMI 2.0 port. However, I am experiencing the exact same issues as with my LG gram (i.e. same issues no HDMI, but strangely no issues when connecting via a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter).

My reason for going for Ice Lake vs Comet Lake was because of better HDMI support. However, it seems that HDMI 2.0 support on Ice Lake laptops is a little iffy at the moment. I have tried to update Windows from 1909 to 2004, as well as the latest DCH drivers from the Intel website. However, these do not seem to help.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered similar issues with the HDMI port on their Ice Lake laptops?

0 Kudos
12 Replies
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello trenzterra,

Thank you for posting your question on this Intel® Community.

To better assist you, please provide us with the following report.

DxDiag* report

1. Go to Start > Run or Windows Key + R.
  2. On the Run prompt, type "dxdiag" then click OK.
  3. On the DirectX Diagnostic Tool window, click on Save All Information.
  4. Browse to a folder, type in a filename then click Save.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
trenzterra
Novice

Hi there,

I have attached my DxDiag file. Thank you.

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello trenzterra,

Thank you for your response.

We checked the report, but we would like to have the following report as well.

With the TV connected to the computer (via HDMI*), please generate a Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers. This report provides additional information about the computer interfaces.

Steps: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Also, what are the model numbers of the TV, and the monitor?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
trenzterra
Novice

Hi there, my television is the Samsung 43NU7100. The flickering happens whenever I enable "HDMI UHD Colours", which, as I understand, enables 4K 60Hz output. I can only connect successfully via HDMI at 4K 30Hz. I have attached the diagnostic report for your reference. I believe the EDID here only shows up to 4K 30Hz because I have not enabled UHD colours. When I enable UHD colours, my laptop is basically unusable as it flickers every five seconds.

Meanwhile, my monitor is the Acer VG271UP, which has 2560x1440p resolution at up to 144Hz. I can only output at up to 120Hz using the HDMI port.

As mentioned previously, I have no issues when using a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 or DisplayPort adapter (even with HDMI UHD colours enabled on my TV). I have also tried multiple cables (and bought a new one from a local store) to make sure it isn't a faulty cable.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

By 'flickering', what are you seeing? Are you talking about the phenomenon where the screen goes blank for a second or two every so often? [Aside: By definition this isn't 'flickering', but you wouldn't be the first person (or even the tenth) who has used this term incorrectly here.]

If this is what you are seeing, what is happening is the monitor and computer are losing sync with each other. The monitor is disconnecting and then reconnecting. The most common cause for this issue - and for only getting a 4K@30Hz connection and for your Acer monitor not running at 144Hz - is a non-compliant or crappy cable. Yes, I know you said you actually bought another cable; matters not. Make sure that you are purchasing good quality cables and make sure that you are purchasing cables that are fully compliant with the HDMI 2.0b (or higher) specification. Remember to apply these two important rules:

1. You get what you pay for. There is no such thing as a 'deal'.
  2. If the cable came with the monitor, it is utter trash. Do not use it. 

..S

0 Kudos
trenzterra
Novice
Hi Scott,

Yes, I mean to say that it connects and disconnects every one or two seconds.

When purchasing the cable, I made sure to get one that was advertised as HDMI 2.0b capable and clearly not the cheapest option just to be on the safe side. I opted for a short, 3ft cable as well just in case since longer cables tend to give more troubles. I also doubt it is the cable because:

- it works fine when plugged into my desktop with GTX 1060
- it works fine through a Thunderbolt 3 dock and USB-C to HDMI adapters on both Ice Lake laptops and older Whiskey/Kaby Lake laptops I have lying around (no HDMI 2.0b on Whiskey and Kaby Lake and below so can only test using a USB-C adapter)
- no issues when plugged into an AMD Ryzen laptop (which supports HDMI 2.0b).

In all the above cases I am able to get 4k 60hz as well as QHD 144hz vs 4k 30hz and QHD 120hz.
So I'm guessing it's either an issue with the HDMI implementation on both laptops or a driver issue.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Is the HDMI port a direct-connect to the processor or is there a LSPcon IC involved? If it is LSPcon IC, are you sure you have the latest firmware?

At one time, intel had an issue that resulted in this disconnection issue. I suppose through could have regressed that bug back into the code (it's happened before). You could try going back to an older (7000 range) driver package and see if this issue is eliminated (though the new processor may not work with this older driver).

Another thought: Have you installed the latest available BIOS? There were cases here down-rev Video BIOS caused issues...

...S

0 Kudos
trenzterra
Novice

Is the HDMI port a direct-connect to the processor or is there a LSPcon IC involved? If it is LSPcon IC, are you sure you have the latest firmware?

I'm not sure how to check that. Is there a way for me to find this out? 

Yeah, I suspect the older drivers might not work given Ice Lake is a new architecture at all. For what it's worth, out of curiosity, I tried to use the display under a Ubuntu Live CD and I experienced the same issue as well. 

I have updated to the latest BIOSes on both laptops, although the laptops are relatively new in the market so I doubt the updated BIOSes would have helped much at this stage.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User
So when I read the specifications in ARK, it always talks about pixel resolution in terms of HDMI 1.4, not HDMI 2.0b. This seems odd. The datasheet says the processors are capable of supporting HDMI 2.0b but then shows table entries for both 1.4 and 2.0b. This makes me wonder...
If this processor supports 2.0b and the BIOS is configuring for 2.0b, then it can directly drive the laptop's HDMI connector. If it only supports 1.4, however, then you want to configure for DisplayPort 1.4 output and then use a LSPcon IC to convert to 2.0b and drive the HDMI connector.
So, how to check this? Ask the laptop vendor...
...S
0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello trenzterra, 

The processor supports HDMI* 2.0, but it is up to the computer manufacturer to implement it, which means the port on your laptop may be HDMI* 1.4. The evidence we are seeing seems to back this up i.e. the max modes available are 4k@30hz and 2K@120hz which is what we would observe with HDMI* 1.4

We also recommend that you contact the computer vendor to get confirmation since this is hardware-related.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
trenzterra
Novice

As I mentioned in my first post, the laptop worked with anLG 4K monitor at 60Hz, RGB which I tested at the store, so it is probably not HDMI 1.4b. Further, HDMI 1.4b is restricted to only 75Hz at 1440p, and not 120Hz.

What I am experiencing now is basically HDMI support at a level between 1.4b and full-fledged HDMI 2.0, which is a little strange. I wonder what's the limitation here. Could it be pixel clock or something?

0 Kudos
IntelSupport
Community Manager

Hello trenzterra, 

Thank you for your response.

Based on the information provided, our recommendation is that you contact your computer manufacturer to get more information about this behavior.

This could be an issue with the HDMI* port, or the TV (e.g. firmware)

We will close this inquiry. If you need any further assistance, please post a new question. We will be glad to help you.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos