Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Installing latest graphics driver on Intel NUC results in error "This installation package is not supported by this processor type"

TPaul5
Beginner

I have downloaded the latest graphics driver for my new NUC8i7BEH. Attempting to install them results in an error This installation package is not supported by this processor type". I tried again using the Intel Driver & Support Assistant in case I got the wrong driver. Same error. Any ideas on the cause of this problem? Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TPaul5
Beginner

A little more information. As this is a brand new installation of Windows 10 on this newly purchased NUC I have downloaded and installed all Windows updates. After all updates were installed (it took sever 'check for updates' to cycle through them all) I again tried to update the graphics drivers. This time the error message reads:

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer.

Setup will exit

Would you like more information etc. etc."

Ok, this is an INTEL NUC, if I don't get the driver from Intel then where should I get it?

I downloaded the driver that failed from here https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28437/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC?product=126140

And, again, I tried the Intel Driver & Support tool and downloaded the driver recommended by it

Both failed with the same error message.

0 Kudos
David_V_Intel
Employee
Hello TPaul5, Thank you for posting on the Intel ® communities. Please try with these steps: 1. Download the latest DCH driver and save it on the computer. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28437/Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-for-Intel-NUC?product=126140 2. Disconnect from the Internet so no new drivers are automatically installed by Windows Update. 3. Uninstall the driver and the Intel Graphics Control Panel from Control Panel > Programs and Features. 4. Restart the computer. 5. Confirm in Device Manager > Video Adapters the controller is listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter' > if not, repeat steps 2 through 4. 6. If the adapter continues to be listed as ‘Intel HD Graphics’ or similar, and no other Intel Graphics driver is listed under 'Programs and Features' for removal, then it means Windows has switched to a previously installed Legacy driver. At this point we can remove Legacy drivers from Device Manager: 6.1.1 Right-click on 'Intel HD Graphics' or similar, and select 'Uninstall Device' 6.1.2 In the pop-up window make sure 'Delete the driver software for this device' is checked. 6.1.3 Click on 'Uninstall'. 6.1.4 Restart. (Repeat steps 6.1.1 through 6.1.4 until the device gets listed as 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter') 7. Install the DCH driver that was downloaded on step 1. 8. Restart the computer. 9. Reconnect to the Internet. 10. Download the Intel Graphics Control Panel from the MS Store. Let me know the outcome please. Regards, David V Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
TPaul5
Beginner

Thank you David, yes all of your instructions helped and now the issue is resolved.

Steps 6.* were essential as "Intel HD Graphics" was NOT listed under Programs and Features and had to be uninstalled via Device Manager (making sure to check the Delete Driver box).

Thanks again

Cheers, Tim.

0 Kudos