Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20494 Discussions

Intel 11th Gen with UHD 750 not installing Display Audio

AndyMac60
New Contributor I

Not sure if this is a repost of a question I had, I thought, asked - apologies if it is

Just tried using Display Audio through DisplayPort on a Dell Monitor connected to a Z590 motherboard with an Intel i9-11900K and installing the graphics driver does not seem to install the Display Audio driver.  My supplier also tested on another motherboard.

QUESTION for the forum: has Intel removed Display Audio support from the Core 11th Gen and 12th Gen CPUs or is this just a driver issue?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

"has Intel removed Display Audio support from the Core 11th Gen and 12th Gen CPUs or is this just a driver issue?" - the answer is YES

Currently the driver should be relying on the MSFT Inbox ACX DAC.

As @Alberto_R_Intel  mentioned, we are currently investigating the behavior as reported on this other thread. The issue might be caused by the OS portion of the driver or it might come from Intel's... it is too early to tell so we'll let our debug team work this one.

As soon as we have news or updates we'll post them here.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
23 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel

AndyMac60, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate response to your question, first, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

What is the model of the Dell monitor?

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase the Intel® processor?

Did the Display Audio through DisplayPort ever work fine before on this specific platform?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause the Display Audio through DisplayPort not to work anymore?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndyMac60
New Contributor I

What is the model of the motherboard? Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi Motherboard

What is the model of the Dell monitor? Dell U3417W UltraSharp UltraWide Monitor DP/HMDI 3440x1440

Is this a new computer? Motherboard delivered on 30 April 2021 (when first available), first built when processor arrived

When did you purchase the Intel® processor? Was delivered on 5 May 2021

Did the Display Audio through DisplayPort ever work fine before on this specific platform? Not tried it before as built originally with nVidia Card

When did the issue start? Testing to see if I can use onboard graphics rather than nVidia Card --- to see if it reduces audio latency on this Music Production PC

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause the Display Audio through DisplayPort not to work anymore? Never worked – DP audio is working fine through nVidia card

Which Windows* version are you using? Windows 10 21H2

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment? Home

I will follow up with the SSU report later, but it is worth calling out the following from the release notes with the latest drivers https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html

AndyMac60_0-1638390490897.png

Where there is explicitly NO mention of a Display Audio Driver for Intel 11th Gen or 12th Gen Core Processors! Based on this, either the drivers are missing something or the CPU does not support Display Audio.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AndyMac60, Thank you very much for providing that information and the picture.

"Where there is explicitly no mention of a Display Audio Driver for Intel 11th Gen or 12th Gen Core Processors! Based on this, either the drivers are missing something or the CPU does not support Display Audio." We will do further research on this matter to confirm that information. Once you get the chance, please provide the SSU report for us to be able to do that and to provide further details about this topic.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AndyMac60
New Contributor I

Attached SSU report. This was a quick test swapping DP connection to internal GPU without removing the nVidia card or drivers and just allowing Windows to install the drivers. Also, not all of my connected USB and Thunderbolt devices were switched on.

0 Kudos
ap2112
Beginner

I am also confused by this issue.

My desktop PC has i5-11400 with no additional graphic card, motherboard HDMI port connects to monitor.

Audio from HDMI works alright but with one issue:

When I play any sound, the beginning of that sound will be cut out about 0.5s.

This is fine if I play relatively long audio, say a song or a movie.

But the thing is I am an English learner and I need to play word pronunciations from dictionary apps.

For example if I play the pronunciation of the word "right", I can only hear "t".

This is critical so I am trying to find some potential solutions.

I learned that this issue is caused by so called "silent stream" bug, but it seems that Intel  has handled it many years ago?

So I tried to update the audio driver but found that there is no one included in the package of graphics driver.

As @AndyMac60 pointed out, the audio drivers in that package are only for as of 10th gen.

If I check the Audio driver in device manager, it says the driver is provided by Intel but driver files are all provided by Microsoft.

(see attached screenshot.)

I am not sure if the HDMI audio cutting out issue is related to this, just got curious why there is no audio driver for 11th gen CPUs just like previous gens?

Thanks!

HD_Audio_Driver.jpg

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AndyMac60, Thank you very much for letting us know those details and providing the SSU report.

Based on the SSU report, we can confirm that the graphics driver version currently installed on your computer is 27.20.100.9127. We always recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform. THe Intel® graphics drivers are generic and they might or might not work with your machine.

"has Intel removed Display Audio support from the Core 11th Gen and 12th Gen CPUs or is this just a driver issue?", We will do further research on your question, but before we do that, I just checked ASUS's website and the latest graphics driver version they have available is Version 30.0.100.9805, for testing purposes, please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below:

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_download

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

Also, we suggest to get in contact directly with ASUS support to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed on your board or to gather the instructions on how to do that:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results and if the Display Audio now works properly with the graphics driver version provided by ASUS so we can continue with our research on your main question. "Where there is explicitly no mention of a Display Audio Driver for Intel 11th Gen or 12th Gen Core Processors! Based on this, either the drivers are missing something or the CPU does not support Display Audio."

ap2112, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AndyMac60
New Contributor I

I was not in a position to uninstall/reinstall drivers today - the issue is that the new drivers explicitly EXCLUDE 11th and 12th Gen processors from the list of CPUs that have drivers for Display Audio. I tested this time with the stock (Windows) drivers to see if that actually installed anything for Display Audio - but again, no Display Audio! And the BIOS is the very latest for the motherboard.

The latest drivers were the ones I originally tested with (as per the release notes I included above), and this was why I first raised the question ---- so in answer to the question, when the very latest Intel drivers from the Intel site are installed they don't provide any Display Audio - which is sort of unsurprising given that the release notes explicitly exclude 11th and 12th Gen CPUs!

And yes, I am started to get somewhat frustrated - the question was actually quite a straightforward one:

Do (or will) Intel provide Display Audio drivers for 11th Gen and 12th Gen CPUs?

as the current drivers from the Intel Download site don't include them!

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AndyMac60, Thank you very much for clarifying those details.

We just wanted to confirm, because it is very important, if the graphics drivers provided by ASUS also show the same behavior about not installing the Display Audio. 

Still, we will now do further research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AndyMac60
New Contributor I

Yes the ASUS supplied drivers (which are the v30.0.100.9805 Intel drivers wrapped by the ASUS installer) do exactly the same. I have just installed them to test them, and the first sign is when it says WHAT it will install it doesn't list any audio drivers (see screen shot of the Intel installer that the ASUS package calls on) - and unsuprisingly, there is then no Display Audio available to the DP screen....

Screenshot 2021-12-07 173512.png

which is exactly the same as when using the very latest Intel drivers downloaded from the Intel site.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello AndyMac60, Thank you very much for sharing those details and the picture, I just received an update on this matter.

We are currently trying to replicate this scenario in our Intel® lab, as soon as we get the results I will post all the information on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
RonaldM_Intel

Hello everyone,

"has Intel removed Display Audio support from the Core 11th Gen and 12th Gen CPUs or is this just a driver issue?" - the answer is YES

Currently the driver should be relying on the MSFT Inbox ACX DAC.

As @Alberto_R_Intel  mentioned, we are currently investigating the behavior as reported on this other thread. The issue might be caused by the OS portion of the driver or it might come from Intel's... it is too early to tell so we'll let our debug team work this one.

As soon as we have news or updates we'll post them here.

Best Regards,

Ronald M.

0 Kudos
AndyMac60
New Contributor I

OK, I now understand it all --- this is on a music production PC where I have specifically disabled the onboard audio and I was trying to use the DisplayAudio through the iGPU (some simple use when working on other aspects of music production other than capturing, etc.) and I was assuming that the iGPU provided the audio itself rather than using any onboard audio hardware --- i.e. in the same way as, for example, the nVidia cards seem to provide their own audio codec for the display devices.

My mistake!

When I enabled the onboard audio, the Microsoft-delivered driver for the Display Audio installed fine, so no understand the options available to me.

Bit of an "oops" moment, looking back on this, but maybe something others may learn from.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No, no mistake on your part. A secondary audio CODEC is NOT a requirement for digital audio transmission over DisplayPort (DP) or HDMI. Intel is shipping NUC products currently that do not have audio CODECs onboard and they can send audio over DP and HDMI just fine.

Just saying,

...S

AndyMac60
New Contributor I

Thanks S, so it seems either it is something to do with the out-of-the-box drivers in Windows 10 (and 11) and/or the way the device is being recognised by Windows and/or the way the motherboard/BIOS is reporting the device back to Windows - but something obviously not working as it should, and I would hope that Intel is investigating this as well. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello AndyMac60, I just received an update on this matter.

While we are still working on this matter, we just wanted to let you know that we tried to reproduce this issue on a Tiger Lake Intel® i7-1165G7 processor with driver version 30.0.101.1191 and the issue cannot be replicated. We connected the HDMI output of our test system to a capture card and recorded the attached video “53033942 cannot repro.mkv”; where the audio works as expected when following the reproduction steps.

Just to confirm, can you please try again with the latest drivers and also the BETA driver on the system that presented the issue before?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers.html?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19387/intel-graphics-beta-windows-dch-drivers.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AndyMac60
New Contributor I

I have found that this is related to the following scenario:

• Asus ROG STRIX Z590-E Gaming Motherboard
  • Intel i9 11900K CPU
  • Onboard (Realtek) Audio DISABLED in BIOS (have an external Thunderbolt audio unit for main audio production use)

Standard Microsoft Display HD Audio drivers do not install

Intel latest graphics drivers don’t offer option to install Display HD Audio drivers

Result is not display audio possible.

HOWEVER, IF ONBOARD AUDIO ENABLED:

Standard Microsoft Display HD Audio drivers install and work!!!

If you then disable the onboard audio, the DP/HDMI audio stops working again as it does not see the GPU’s audio capability.

Note that this seems (can’t prove this) to be common with other motherboards as it was tested by my supplier on a Gigabyte Z590 motherboard and they had a similar issue.

Note that I don’t have the same issue with nVidia GForce drivers which install their HD Audio drivers whether or not the onboard audio is enable or disabled.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AndyMac60, Thank you very much for letting us know those updates.

While we are still currently working on this matter, we just wanted to confirm, were you able to install and test Intel® graphics driver version 30.0.101.1191 and the Beta driver version?

If so, is the problem the same after installing those drivers?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
AndyMac60
New Contributor I

@Alberto_R_Intel, I'm pretty sure I'd tested 101.1191 when it was released and had exactly the same outcome. I'm not doing any further tests with the PC at present as I'm currently deep in some development work (with a deadline) which relies on that PC.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

AndyMac60, Thank you very much for confirming those results.

We will continue with our research on this matter. As soon as I get more details I will post them on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel

Hello AndyMac60, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we determined that the best course of action at this point will be to keep monitoring our Intel® download center website for new driver updates:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html

And also, to get in contact directly with the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) to report this issue and to verify directly with them for other components and configurations that could trigger this problem and if they have a fix or a proper customized driver for this scenario:

https://www.asus.com/support/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos