Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel 620 / 8700k won't output 4k 60Hz

BFlet
Beginner

Hello All,

I am hoping someone out there could help or find something I may be missing. I have an z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard with an 8700k, as well as a secondary Vega 64 card. I am trying to do 4k UHD output, so in order to do direct playback I need to use the 620 UHD intel display adapter.

I am currently able to output 4k 60hz over my Vega 64 card to my TV (LG Electronics OLED55C7P) without an issue, but as soon as I try with my Intel internal graphics, I can only get 30hz. I am using the same exact cable and input that I use from my Vega card. I have also tried with no video output on the vega card, and the only output being from the intel integrated but no change. I've tried multiple cables just in case (even though it works over my vega), and no change either. I tried to manually set a resolution and I get an error "not enough bandwidth" when I try 60 hz.

I have tried using the motherboard drivers, as well as the latest off Intel's website.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Onboard Graphics

Integrated Graphics Processor-Intel® HD Graphics support:

1 x DisplayPort, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2304@60 Hz

* Support for DisplayPort 1.2 version, HDCP 2.2, and HDR.

1 x HDMI port, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2160@30 Hz

* Support for HDMI 1.4 version and HDCP 2.2.

Maximum shared memory of 1 GB

Source: www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-Gaming-7-rev-10# sp

Source: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/8th-gen-processor-family-s-platform-datasheet-vol-1.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/datasheets/8th-gen-processor-family-s-platform-datasheet-vo

Read pages 36ff

0 Kudos
BFlet
Beginner

Thank you Stefan3D. I purchased a display port to HDMI converter today. I have the same issues where it should now be supported (I can do 4096x2160 @ 30Hz, but not 60Hz). I know my adapter works fine, as I tested it with my Vega 64 and it runs at 60Hz.

I am on windows 10 with current driver version of 23.20.16.4901.

0 Kudos
SHarm
Beginner

It sounds like the issue might be that the converter is not rated for HDMI 2.0, which is required for 4k to run at 60Hz. Assuming the converter is certified to run DisplayPort 1.2 to HDMI 2.0, you can disregard this, but most of these converters are not certified for HDMI 2.0.

0 Kudos
BFlet
Beginner

Divinia,

I don't think that's the case, as I can run 4k@60Hz just fine off my vega card. As soon as I plug the same converter into my onboard graphics, it only allows 30Hz.

0 Kudos
MKnor
Beginner

Doesn't look like your mobo supports HDMI 2.0a as described in the following White Paper by Intel.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/graphics/HDR_Intel_Graphics_TechWhitePaper.pdf

If the mobo does not have the appropriate LSPCon chip, the maximum display rate will be a HDMI 1.4 rates and HDR will not be enabled. There appears to be only one manufacturer for the LSPCon chip which is Mega Chips. Good luck trying to determine the specifications listed on their website.

What needs to be done, and what I have been told by Intel is that the LSPCon converter will be built into future Intel products. The question is when will Intel deliver a graphics processor like the UHD630 that supports the HDMI 2.0a natively and supports 4k60HZ.

The next problem I see is native support for dynamic HDR (Dolby Vision and now HDR10+). It appears HDR10+ will require a HDMI 2.1 interface while Dolby Vision, since the dynamic metadata is embedded in the video signal, and requires a HDMI interface as far back as version 1.4b.

I have asked the question to Intel on my thread "HDR10+ requires HDMI 2.1" at SilentK. Intel just provided a response that HDMI.org has just recognized and accepted the HDR10+ technology. I expect it will be some time before Intel incorporates the interface requirements to handle both the interface and processing requirements into their product line. That also means that existing mobo's that use the Mega Chips LSPCon chip could be outdated.

I did not get an answer as the Dolby Vision question I asked about the UHD630 and how it handles Dolby Vision signaling.

I believe HDR is just now evolving to a viable technolgy. If only Dolby Labs didn't require a licensing fee for Dolby Vision and Dolby audio such as Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

0 Kudos
BFlet
Beginner

SilentK - The display port fully supports 60Hz, and that's what I have the adapter for now:

1. 1 x DisplayPort, supporting a maximum resolution of 4096x2304@60 Hz

* Support for DisplayPort 1.2 version, HDCP 2.2, and HDR.
0 Kudos
ftonu
Beginner

Hey guys!

I have the same problem, @ not getting abote 30hz on my 4k TV when connected to my notebook via HDMI 2.0.

After trying everything, it seems like my notebook probably doesnt have LSPCon chip, thus, unable todo 4k @60hz.

Justo FYI, my TV is a Samsung 49MU6300 (no displayport) and tmy laptop is a Acer Travelmate TMP449-G2-M-513D.

I thought I was out of options, since my notebook doesnt have Displayport (If I had I learnt i coud buy an converter to HDMI 2.0 and run 4k @ 60hz) when found info on my notebook manual that it has a USB type C output compatible with DisplayPort.

Do you guys think its possible for me to use the USB-C output in some way for me to be able to run 4k @ 60hz?

Im asking here because yopu guys are ALOT more knowledgeable than the dudes at Brazilian forums.

Thanks in advance!

Feel free to send me PM's

0 Kudos
MKnor
Beginner

Hi advo,

Don't really know your system configuration. Can you supply?

Your LG OLED55C7P supports Dolby Vision. I have read where Dolby Vision signaling has to be implemented as a direct connection from the source to the sink. There can not be any adapters, splitters, ect. in the source-sink chain. I believe CyberLink discussed this issue when I was doing some research on their PowerDVD 17 Ultra product that is bundled with the Pioneer BDR-211UBK internal ultra HD burner. Cyberlink provides an 4K compatibility advisor. It may be useful to run the advisor and analyze the results. I have an open support question to CyberLink about how and if they handle Dolby Vision. I will post their response once I receive.

Thanks,

SilentK

0 Kudos
BFlet
Beginner

I have also tried running it through my receiver (Denon AVR-X1300W), which gives me the same input/output; which would take the direct TV connection out of play. The TV also supports HDR-10, so that would take out Dolby Vision. Again, I can take the same exact adapter and cable and plug it into my Vega 64 and it runs at 4k60Hz. As soon as I plug it into internal, I can only get 4k@30. Obviously I can't test HDR with the Vega card, as the proprietary BS is there and it won't allow it. The compatibility advisor says everything is good except the recommended HDR display (again, I can't do 60Hz so this is expected at least to this point).

My Specs:

Vega 64

16 Gig Ram

Z370 Aorus Gaming 7

0 Kudos
MKnor
Beginner

Again, I would re-read the Intel HDR White Paper. It doesn't appear that your mobo has the LSPCon chip required to convert the DP port to HDMI 2.0a which would enable 4K60HZ HDR. That may be why your Vega64 works but the mobo HDMI does not. There is a section in the Intel WP that directs you to the mobo's that support LSPCon. The WP also addresses issues for primary and secondary video processing if you are using an external GP.

It doesn't appear to be a cable issue since you can get HDR from your Vega64, but it wouldn't hurt to check your cables to make sure they are rated and tested to HDMI.org specifications.

I have a question, how do you know the video signal is HDR and not SDR the is upconverted to HDR at the display?

You may also be running into a codec compatibility issue. You may want to read

www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-vision/dolby-vision-white-paper.pdf.

0 Kudos
BFlet
Beginner

I have an active converter, so the chip is inside the converter itself to make the conversion happen. This may have issues still for HDR content, but at this point I'd like to at least get it up and working off the iGPU at 60Hz and test from there.

For HDR content, my TV will display in the top right corner when it receives either HDR 10 or Dolby Vision content/connections. I don't see that when I hook up my Vega card, and assuming with the restrictions on content it won't work.

0 Kudos
BFlet
Beginner
0 Kudos
MKnor
Beginner

Have you upgraded Windows 10 to the 1709 version? If so, in settings under the Display tab, you should see "SGX" on/off feature if your video processing chain supports HDR. Try enabling SGX and see if your display shows HDR. If there is no SGX switch, then something in your video processing chain (source-to-sink) is not HDR compliant.

0 Kudos
BFlet
Beginner

I am on 1709 with the latest drivers. I'm thinking it's the adapter or motherboard output that's causing the issue. I'm able to activate HDR using a straight HDMI cable to my Vega 64. As soon as I plug in the adapter and try over the same cable but under displayport on either the iGPU or Vega, I can no longer activate HDR (even though I can do 4k@60Hz on both). It's pretty disappointing overall since I need the iGPU to do HDR to use my Ultra HD Disk drive. I'm guessing the Dispalyport 1.2 on my motherboard will not correctly convert the signal to HDR from the reading I have done, since it appears to need Displayport 1.3 to work.

If anyone else has any thoughts before I return all the adapters/Ultra HD Drive please let me know.

0 Kudos