Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20953 Discussions

Intel A770 & AMD FSR 2.2.x broken / serious image corruption (eg. Forza Horizon 5, NfS:Unbound)

LynxRufus
New Contributor I

as title says,

so far on my Intel's Arc dGPU (the A770 LE with 16GB Ram),

AMD's FSR 2.2.x   feature seems completely broken & nonfunctional when activated :

it shows the same strange behaviour when enabled in any game that appears to have FSR implemented out of the same 2.2 branch or at least in the same way:

when standing still, not rotating the camera, the picture quickly degrades over time,

like flickering of trees & foliage, thin black moire line effects all over the screen,

and if you wait a little longer, it gets very dark and looks like 'painted over and over' as if parts of previous generated pictures remain and cause large areas of pixel artifacts

FSR 2.2 enabled in FH5, image when not movingFSR 2.2 enabled in FH5, image when not moving

eg. I tested it in Forza Horizon 5 and the new Need for Speed:Unbound..

it is worse in FH5, but NfS:Unbound shows the same effects the moment you stop moving around ('moire' effects)

Cyberpunk which recently got FSR2 with patch 1.61 I believe, doesn't have these symptoms, maybe because it's still FSR 2.1.x .

Not completely sure if it's really the FSR version that makes the difference,

ofc it could be broken Intel drivers/bios as well

(I left all settings @ default )

Arc dGPU driver version:

31.0.101.3802 full package / fresh install.

Rest of System:

AMD Ryzen 5 5600

16 GB DDR4  @ 3200Mhz (XMP)

MSI X570-A Pro Mainboard

BeQuiet 750W PSU

LG  27UD58-B @ 4K via DP,  win10 @150% HDPI scaling

Intel Arc A770 LE 16GB, rBAR enabled

Win 10 Pro 22H2 Build 19045.2311

FH5 game version: Xbox game pass ultimate PC, ( v 3.533.661.0  Nov 21st)

NfS Unbound: release version (EA Play Trial)

will add in more screenshots /details later if required.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello LynxRufus,

Thank you for posting on the Intel®️ Arc communities.

Thank you also for reporting this issue and providing us with so much information, we will be checking this internally please provide us with the following information:

• Take a couple of screen captures of all the graphical settings options of the games that are presenting this issue.

• Record a video of the issue is reproduced and share it with us

All of this information will give us more details about the issue to determine possible causes.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
LynxRufus
New Contributor I

Hi,

alright I'll try my best. thankfully I made the video clips a few days ago but didn't have the time to set up YT (never bothered about YT before) and upload the stuff.

I wanted to create a better clip today,

but to my surprised most/maybe all graphic glitches / image corruption or artifacts appear to be suddenly gone now,

I noticed on Dec 6th there were 2 updates at the same time,

both for the game Forza Horizon 5 itself & a new Intel Arc Beta Driver as well.

neither of them mention anything related to FSR 2.2 nor FH5,

so I didn't expect that, but it might be solved now, nice! 🙂

at least for Forza Horizon 5. impossible to tell for me now btw what caused and/or what solved it.

I uploaded the old clips anyway for better reference & what it looked like ingame:

the first one also contains the ingame settings, at the beginning & end of the clip.

(basically FSR 2.2 on @quality, rest all @ Ultra, and RT off, iirc)

YT sample clip #1 FH 5 @ FSR 2.2 on => gfx glitches / bugs 

wasnt able to get the "moire/banding" issue on screen shot so for that, also see the 1st video above.

YT sample clip #2 FH5 FSR 2.2 on => gfx glitches / bugs ( @ it's worst ) 

this is basically the cumulated issues @ it's worst, also see screenshot in starting post (made from this 2nd clip)

ps: clips were made with latest OBS beta, which has now Quick Sync AV1 Hardware Encoding support btw 😉 (which is cool I guess)

need to re-check Need for Speed Unbound if  the same / similar problems there still exist,

so maybe  leave this open for now? 😉

Here's also the diag files you requested, unfortunately from today, which means after the new Intel Arc beta driver installed, from Dec 6th...

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

also experiencing issues with NFS Unbound. The screen does weird things, EA Play version via PC Gamepass.

The first picture is like the game should look, no FSR2 enabled.

The second picture shows what happens with FSR2 enabled.

Didn't EA have XeSS included in the game files? Sigh..... I don't dislike FSR 2, it worked relatively fine in a few games, but I prefer XeSS by a long shot after seeing how they work with my own eyes.

No FSR2No FSR2FSR2FSR2

0 Kudos
LynxRufus
New Contributor I

@laxesta what combination of driver version and GPU model did this happen with?

came back to report that the 'spefic' FSR 2 on/off issues in NfS: Unbound with .3959 seem to be gone now

(it looked the same like in FH5 when standing still, the 'moire/banding' flickering seen at the beginning of the first clip above)

But, there's all sorts of other graphics glitches left in the game, and it won't go away, even with FSR turned off, so appears to be unrelated to this specific setting, and maybe not even Intel Arc in specific (have no other card here to test unfortunately)

it looks like this:

NfS: Unbound graphic glitches with Intel Arc A770 

most noticeable are that there's still A) flickering/aliasing on the skyscraper texture in the beginning of the clip with FSR on,

B) lighting/shader effects popping in&out on the car, and C) large checkerboard artifacts when driving into tunnels or similar.

(all types happen with FSR disabled too, however.. only the specific issues like in FH5 are gone now)

!!) performance (of Arc at least, maybe other brands too) is pretty bad in general in this game imho btw,

not only over-all fps but micro stutter / frame pacing in specific imho..

might have to try and get it recorded with capframex..

PS: this might be OT now and maybe NfS Unbound problems should be split in a separate thread from now on,

or is it okay to continue in here?

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

latest beta driver, 3959 iirc? and A770 16GB.

The performance is good, 70fps average at native 1440p without FSR2 with many settings in Ultra.

I tested a bit more and it is a driver thing, almost sure.

I enabled FXAA instead of TAA just ouf of curiosity and...yeah, glitches galore.

Need for Speed™ Unbound glitch FXAA.jpg

Then I enabled TAA once again, no FSR 2, and when everything seemed normal and started to play...., those green screens appear out of nowhere.

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II
0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello LynxRufus,

Thank you for posting all the updates regarding the issues with Forza horizon 5,

We are going to check the issues with Need For Speed Internally, and will get back with you as soon as we have more information.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta & LynxRufus,

As we are working on this issue internally part of our process will be getting a system that works as closely related to the ones shared in the Intel® System Support Utility reports.

Complete the following steps and questions:

• Laxesta The version of Need For Speed Unbound that is presenting this behavior is the one downloaded from EA Play PC, what was the distribution service used to download Forza Horizon 5?

• LynxRufus, what is the distribution used to download the game Need For Speed Unbound and Forza Horizon 5?

• LynxRufus is the resizable Bar enabled in the system's BIOS?

• Based on the report posted on the thread on ‎12-07-2022 at 04:54 PM the BIOS of the motherboard seems to be an older version, please contact the manufacturer in order to get the appropriate steps to complete an update to the latest BIOS version Manufacturer's website:  https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X570-A-PRO/support

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
laxesta
New Contributor II

Hello Robert.

The distribution system used to play NFS Unbound is EA Play indeed, via PC Gamepass

As for Forza Horizon 5 I play it on PC Gamepass but haven't experienced any issue afaik -I don't play it much tbh-.

Wish all games had XeSS support though. I don't dislike FSR 2 but imho, it's not the same as XeSS.

0 Kudos
LynxRufus
New Contributor I

@Robert_Q_Intel wrote:
  • Laxesta The version of Need For Speed Unbound that is presenting this behavior is the one downloaded from EA Play PC, what was the distribution service used to download Forza Horizon 5?

• LynxRufus, what is the distribution used to download the game Need For Speed Unbound and Forza Horizon 5?

• LynxRufus is the resizable Bar enabled in the system's BIOS?

• Based on the report posted on the thread on ‎12-07-2022 at 04:54 PM the BIOS of the motherboard seems to be an older version, please contact the manufacturer in order to get the appropriate steps to complete an update to the latest BIOS version Manufacturer's website:  https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X570-A-PRO/support

* my BIOS was 1 version older indeed, MSI X570-A Pro @ Bios 7C37vHH that version has been removed from MSI's download-site,

no further info why..  updated my bios to the newer  ( and still latest) 7C37vHI version) => no change regarding the FSR unrelated graphics glitches in Need for Speed Unbound, it's still there.

(there were 1 or 2 small patches for the game meanwhile, I'm not sure but maybe it happens less often now, or at least it's a bit less severe.. hard to tell.. overall fps/performance  still is subpar  imho)

* Anyway, regarding reBAR, yes it has already been enabled before and also is enabled now in BIOS settings.

Arc Control also reports it as active.

* regarding both game's versions:

Forza Horizon 5 is  from the MS Xbox Game Pass Ultimate App,

the 10hr Trial version of Need for Speed Unbound as well (EA Play with Xbox Gamepass)

re-checked if the problem persists after bios update & some small game updates/patches.. yes, it is still there:

https://youtu.be/FGSeKpJsYWc

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta,

Thank you for all the details,

We will continue to work in this issue internally.

We will get back to you as soon as we have more details.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos
Robert_Q_Intel

Hello laxesta & LynxRufus,

Thank you for the waiting time and all the information / Reports that were posted.

The bugs have been submitted to our driver debug team which will actively work on a fix to be implemented in future releases of the Intel® Arc™ Graphics Driver,

2 Bug IDs have been created as references for the issues in each game, the numbers are as follows:

• Bug ID# 16017209252: Forza Horizon 5: Lightning shadow corruption observed while playing.
  • Bug ID# 14018034047: Need For Speed: Unbound - Lighting Corruption.

Although we can confirm that we are constantly working on implementing the fixes we can't commit to a specific ETA for the fixes to be released, we this in mind our recommendation would be to wait for the next driver updates.

We will proceed to close this case to avoid duplicated efforts,

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,  

Robert Q. 

0 Kudos