Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Intel Arc A770 Black screen/screen power off in the middle of driver installation

daffodilistic
Beginner

Hi all,

This is a real head scratcher for me because I am unsure of the cause. I basically installed the GPU into my machine, downloaded the WHQL driver, and halfway through the installation, the screen automatically powers off and goes black/blank (i.e. power saving mode). The system is still responsive though as I can press the Numlock key and the light blinks on/off. Upon a system reset, Windows still boots but is unable to proceed to the login screen.

Any good ideas? SSU attached.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello daffodilistic,  

Thank you for contacting Intel Technical Support for graphics.  

We are sorry to hear you blackout screen on the driver installation Intel® Arc™ graphic cards. We are glad to assist.  

Let us gather the entire information about the problem in order to provide a possible solution.  

Thank you for choosing Intel. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.  

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello daffodilistic

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance? To continue helping you, please provide the information solicited before. 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
Lunair
Beginner
Good evening, I have almost the same problem as you, I installed the graphics card and was able to install Windows, but often after a restart I had a black screen, but the PC is working normally... To believe that the Graphics Card is not recognized, for my part I have the latest drive from Intel, the 31.0.101.3959

https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Ecran-noir-apr%C3%A8s-red%C3%A9marrage-Black-screen-after-reboot/td-p/1442053
0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello daffodilistic, 

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further assistance? 

Best regards, 

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
LuisGustav_A_Intel

Hello daffodilistic, 

I have not heard back from you about your inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Thank you for choosing Intel.  

Best regards,  

Luis A. 

0 Kudos
SomeGuy9000
Beginner

I had the same issue. Waited for 15 minutes and screen just stayed black & computer started generating a lot of heat.

Had to force power off computer & do clean install after.

BlackScreen.jpg

iGPU 730 driver.png

Arc driver.png

GPUs.png

SystemInfo.png

0 Kudos
daffodilistic
Beginner

Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply, as emails from this site are directed to my junk mail (I can't change the email registered with this site, so I'm stuck with using my work email to login 😑). Just a quick update, it's working already since after Christmas when I found the solution. It's a BIOS/UEFI setting, I had to toggle "Secure Virtual Machine (SVM)" to off, install the driver, reboot, set the Secure VM setting back to on, and it works correctly.

Seems like it's got something to do with the Arc graphics card driver not registering/updating some sort of setting in the BIOS/UEFI correctly with Hyper-V (I'm not an expert in this field, please bare with my explanation)? Not sure how I chanced about the solution to this issue as well, but I think it's got to do with the Windows Event Viewer logs for Hyper-V.

Related IGCT issue: https://github.com/IGCIT/Intel-GPU-Community-Issue-Tracker-IGCIT/issues/177

0 Kudos
Kaitain
Beginner

Same issue, or certainly similar. Partway through driver installation, the screen just goes completely black. From then on, every time the machine boots, as soon as Windows starts to load just after the initial bootloader screen, everything goes black. Makes it an absolute nightmare to troubleshoot - I kept having to swap graphics cards just to be able to get into Windows at all. Tried for three hours today with various convoluted attempts involving swapping back to an nVidia card, booting into safe mode with card swapped back to the Intel Arc, trying the drivers again etc. Nothing worked. Total loss of visual output on each occasion, and no way to fall back to safe mode or anything remotely visible without switching out the graphics card again. Nightmarish experience, worst GPU issue I've ever had in fifteen years of building gaming PCs.

0 Kudos
DanSun
New Contributor I

The problem is that Windows is a problem that occurs when the hard disk is an MBR. Set up your hard disk with GPT and install it and you'll be fine. Intel Arc has a bug where the screen is not displayed properly in MBR.

0 Kudos
Kaitain
Beginner

Well, both my NVMe SSDs are set up using GPT, so it's not this MBR issue. The only slightly quirky thing about my setup is that Disk 1 has the boot drive rather than Disk 0 (legacy of a former dual boot setup). Could that make any difference?

Kaitain_0-1691343540847.png

0 Kudos
CarnivoreDiet
Beginner

I just had a similar issue:

Black screen while latest drivers are installing. Num lock doesn't work. Did a hard reboot a few minutes after black screen.

What's weird is the website now says my driver's are up to date and everything seems to be working fine.

I'm about to load elden ring to see if it's stable.

0 Kudos