Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Intel Driver & Support Assistant v21.7.50.3 - [System Tray Icon Crashes Everyday @ 12:00 AM]

TrunksVegita
New Contributor I

To whom this may concern, I've read the following...

I've Looked Through these Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) Troubleshooting Questions and I don't see my Issue. What's my Next Step? 

...and am responding to the following found on the above link:

----------

Reporting issues with Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA)

• Use the Give Feedback option at the bottom of most Intel Support pages.

Details: Done.

• Submit a question through the Intel Communities site.

Details: I'm currently listing this under "Graphics" even though this may not be the most correct group to list it under.

Tips for giving us helpful feedback to improve the tool and fix problems:

• Provide specific information on system type, OS, browser, and exact details on the issue.

Details:

ASUS TUF Dash F15 FX516PM Laptop
    11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30 GHz
    Installed RAM 40.0 GB

64-Bit Microsoft Windows 11
    Version 21H2
    OS Build 22000.376

Mozilla Firefox v95.0.1 (64-bit)

The act of right-clicking on the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" system tray icon results in that system tray icon (DSATray.exe) crashing at and after 12:00 AM each and every day resulting in me having to either relaunch "DSATray.exe" or relaunching/reopening the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" once a day to keep it up and running.

• Zip all the IDSA files found at C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA and provide that zip file to the case agent or attach to the Forums post for developers to root cause the issue.

Details: Done and attached as "DSA.zip".

• Include any screenshots of the error.

Details: I've not seen any error messages but know that if I ripped into the logs, I'd likely find something.

-----------

We can start here for now, but this annoyance is also affecting my Dad's 64-Bit Version of Windows 10 as well.

I'm betting that once the specific reason(s) are identified and fixed that my Dad won't have that same problem as well.

To all the great minds that help us little people out, God Bless You All!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
David_G_Intel

Hello @TrunksVegita

Thank you for the updates and patience. After testing, looking at the files provided, and the updates that were applied it seems that these issues with WPF and tray icons were addressed which both impact DSATray. In summary, this was a Windows error that was fixed by a Windows Update, it wasn't a bug related to the Intel DSA. Let us know if you have any other questions or we will close this thread.

Regards, 

David G 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
18 Replies
David_G_Intel

Hello TrunksVegita

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. We are investigating this request, when I have updates I'll post them on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
TrunksVegita
New Contributor I

God bless you my good man!

I know these things aren't typically fixed overnight and I'm certainly not the only one having issues.

Regardless, may you and all your loved ones near and far have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and/orrr...well...make good memories and remain free of...you know...

I'll call it...the Beer Flu...
\O.o/
( ; - D

I'll keep my eyes on this post/thread.
😉👍

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello @TrunksVegita

Happy holidays to you too! Please test the following steps (both options ) on one of the affected systems:

This is to confirm a corruption with the software installation. If you tried Those steps already or if the issue persists, please let us know

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
TrunksVegita
New Contributor I

Hiya David!

I clicked on that link you gave and did:

----------

Option 2

1. If Intel® DSA will still not install or errors about missing files are seen, utilize the Intel® DSA Uninstaller.
  2. Download the latest version of Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

If this doesn't resolve the upgrade issue, assist our developers to improve the tool by sending any screenshots of the error and the last DSAUninstaller.log (You can find the location of the log file in File Explorer by searching for it by DSAUninstaller.log, and then to be sure and send back the most recently dated log). You can send the files to us via an Intel Communities post or by contacting Intel Support.
----------

I'll update this thread in the AM because as soon as I wake up and right-click on the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" system tray icon, it's yet to survive one 24-Hour period without that system tray icon (DSATray.exe) crashing.

More to come in the AM.
😉👍

0 Kudos
TrunksVegita
New Contributor I

Hiya David!

Well shoot...same deal as before with the exception that I tried right-clicking on the "Intel Driver & Support Assistant" system tray icon roughly 20-Minutes before midnight, resulting in that system tray icon (DSATray.exe) crashing on the same day.

Attached is the newest zipped capture of all those IDSA files found in C:\ProgramData\Intel\DSA.

Just wanted to give you an update on my experience with the Windows 10 and Windows 11 Laptops running on "Intel Driver & Support Assistant v21.7.50.3" that I did the following to earlier today of:

----------

Option 2

1. If Intel® DSA will still not install or errors about missing files are seen, utilize the Intel® DSA Uninstaller.
  2. Download the latest version of Intel® Driver & Support Assistant.

If this doesn't resolve the upgrade issue, assist our developers to improve the tool by sending any screenshots of the error and the last DSAUninstaller.log (You can find the location of the log file in File Explorer by searching for it by DSAUninstaller.log, and then to be sure and send back the most recently dated log). You can send the files to us via an Intel Communities post or by contacting Intel Support.
----------

I'll be near!

😉👍

David_G_Intel

Thanks for the update, we will continue the investigation. I will update you as soon as I have more information.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
TrunksVegita
New Contributor I
Thank you too!

I’ll be standing by with my Tier 5 Troubleshooting Hammer at the ready!
( ; - D
0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We're trying to replicate this issue in our labs, is it possible to get a video of the steps you got through? Also, please share with us the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) results 

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
TrunksVegita
New Contributor I

Hiya David!

I did do the...

----------

Please share with us the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) results 

----------

...and have attached this as a file named "Intel® SSU - [Detailed View].txt" to this post, but for the...

----------

Is it possible to get a video of the steps you got through?

----------

...if you mean for what I do that leads to the system tray icon for "Intel Driver & Support Assistant v21.7.50.3" to crash (DSATray.exe), I'd be recording a 12-to-24 Hour-long MP4 video file that would show anyone viewing it a "Microsoft Windows 11" desktop screen sitting idle for that timeframe only for me to move the mouse pointer on the screen down to the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, right-clicking on the system tray icon for "Intel Driver & Support Assistant v21.7.50.3" to try to get the dropdown menu to appear with no dropdown menu appearing, me wiggling the mouse left and right over that system tray icon only for the "DSATray.exe" system process to close down and/or crash from simply right-clicking on it alone.

I could record that, buuut...from what I can tell, this specific thread only allows for a maximum file size of up to 71 MB to be attached.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy or to sound silly, but I do know that an MP4 recording of that size is 'VERY LIKELY' going to exceed that 71 MB for a 12 to 24-Hour long MP4 video recording.

A potential alternative I can do is...I can start recording videos randomly throughout the day of me right-clicking on the system tray icon for "Intel Driver & Support Assistant v21.7.50.3" and save, keep, and upload the video showing the system tray icon (DSATray.exe) delaying on giving me the appropriate dropdown menu from me right-clicking on it alone, crashing, and upload that.

That would 'CERTAINLY' be within that 71 MB file size range.

I'd love to say that a blip of an error message associated with the "DSATray.exe" crash was appearing, but there's quite literally nothing other than the logs I've sent you previously from what I can find and what I have attached to this specific message.

If you or anyone else wanted the longer or shorter MP4 video recording, longer...we have a problem due to file size upload constraints on this specific website being limited to that 71 MB, but for the shorter video recording, I could certainly do that.

How would you like me to proceed?

I'll be near!
*nods ( : - D

0 Kudos
TrunksVegita
New Contributor I

Hiya David!

I tried posting what I have saved and uploaded as...

----------

Post for David - [Keeps Getting Edited by Anonymous Resulting in Deletion].txt

----------

I hope this doesn't get edited/deleted again, but I'll keep trying.

There's nothing offensive or inappropriate in it from what I can tell, but it does contain some more technical details that may help you and the powers that be find the culprit.

0 Kudos
TrunksVegita
New Contributor I

Hiya David!

To try to help out further, I opened up the initial "DSA.zip" file from the original post to see what's inside.

When I opened it, before doing the full-blown extraction, I went to...

----------
DSA\Logs\Local\
----------

...from within the "DSA.zip" file.

I see 15-log files ranging from 12-December-2021 to 18-December-2021.

When I open up...

----------
Tray20211213.log
----------

...I see a few lines that stand out to me, specifically...

----------
12/13/2021 14:16:19 -05:00 18580:1 Error DSATray.App SafeLogError () Unhandled exception: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaSystem.Startup(MediaContext mc)|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext..ctor(Dispatcher dispatcher)|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.From(Dispatcher dispatcher)|| at System.Windows.Media.Visual.VerifyAPIReadWrite()|| at System.Windows.Media.Visual.set_VisualTextRenderingMode(TextRenderingMode value)|| at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.Popup.pushTextRenderingMode()|| at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.Popup.OnChildChanged(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)|| at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)|| at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)|| at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)|| at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(EntryIndex entryIndex, DependencyProperty dp, PropertyMetadata metadata, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType)|| at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueCommon(DependencyProperty dp, Object value, PropertyMetadata metadata, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType, Boolean isInternal)|| at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValue(DependencyProperty dp, Object value)|| at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.Popup.CreateRootPopupInternal(Popup popup, UIElement child, Boolean bindTreatMousePlacementAsBottomProperty)|| at System.Windows.Controls.ContextMenu.HookupParentPopup()|| at System.Windows.Controls.ContextMenu.OnIsOpenChanged(DependencyObject d, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)|| at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)|| at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)|| at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)|| at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(EntryIndex entryIndex, DependencyProperty dp, PropertyMetadata metadata, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType)|| at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValueCommon(DependencyProperty dp, Object value, PropertyMetadata metadata, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType, Boolean isInternal)|| at System.Windows.DependencyObject.SetValue(DependencyProperty dp, Object value)|| at NotifyIcon.Wpf.NotifyIconComponent.HandleCommandMenu(EventType eventType, Int32 cursorX, Int32 cursorY)|| at NotifyIcon.Wpf.NotifyIconComponent.OnNotificationIconEvent(Object sender, NotifyIconEventArgs e)|| --- End of inner exception stack trace ---|| at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)|| at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)|| at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)|| at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()|| at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)|| at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.CallbackWrapper(Object obj)|| at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)|| at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)|| at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)|| at MS.Internal.CulturePreservingExecutionContext.Run(CulturePreservingExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)|| at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)|| at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)|| at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Wait(TimeSpan timeout)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.InvokeImpl(DispatcherOperation operation, CancellationToken cancellationToken, TimeSpan timeout)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)|| at NotifyIcon.Win32.NotificationAreaIcon.DeliverEvent(NotifyIconEventArgs eventArgs)|| at NotifyIcon.Win32.NotificationAreaIcon.ProxyEventHandler(UInt32 uMsg, Int32 cursorX, Int32 cursorY)|| at NotifyIcon.Win32.MessageListenerWindow.ForwardWindowEventToHandler(MessageListenerWindow* ptrThis, HWND__* hwnd, UInt32 uMsg)|| at NotifyIcon.Win32.?A0xe27d8b9c.OnMessageReceived(HWND__* hwnd, UInt32 uMsg, UInt32 wParam, Int32 lParam) { }
----------

I also see a similar one or two when I open up...

----------
Tray20211215.log
----------

...specifically...

----------
12/15/2021 16:23:21 -05:00 18804:1 Error DSATray.App SafeLogError () Unhandled exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.|| at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifySyncModeStatus(Int32 enabledResult)|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyChannelMessage()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContextNotificationWindow.MessageFilter(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) { }
12/15/2021 16:23:21 -05:00 18804:1 Error DSATray.App SafeLogError () Unhandled exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.|| at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifySyncModeStatus(Int32 enabledResult)|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyChannelMessage()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContextNotificationWindow.MessageFilter(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)|| at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)|| at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)|| at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)|| at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)|| at DSATray.App.Main() { }
----------

...and I have found similar in...

----------
Tray20211217.log
----------

...in that same file.

Attached is a file named...

----------
DSA - (A Few More DSATray Dot Exe Crashes).zip
----------

...containing the next set of compressed DSA logs and goodies.

When I go to...

----------
DSA\Logs\Local\
----------

from within...

----------
DSA - (A Few More DSATray Dot Exe Crashes).zip
----------

...and open up...

----------
Tray20211221.log
----------

...I see similar.

I might be wrong, but to me, when I see...

----------
12/21/2021 15:46:01 -05:00 19808:1 Information DSATray.App InitLogging () Started version { }
12/21/2021 15:46:01 -05:00 19808:1 Information DSATray.App InitApplication () Registered notification handlers { }
12/21/2021 15:46:01 -05:00 19808:1 Information DSATray.App InitTrayWcfHost () Tray communication WCF service started { }
12/21/2021 15:46:01 -05:00 19808:1 Information DSATray.App CheckForNewScan () Setting icon to up to date { }
12/21/2021 15:46:23 -05:00 19808:1 Information DSATray.App OnExit () Exiting with exit code 0 { }
12/21/2021 15:47:58 -05:00 20628:1 Information DSATray.App InitLogging () Started version { }
12/21/2021 15:47:58 -05:00 20628:1 Information DSATray.App InitApplication () Registered notification handlers { }
12/21/2021 15:47:59 -05:00 20628:1 Information DSATray.App InitTrayWcfHost () Tray communication WCF service started { }
12/21/2021 15:47:59 -05:00 20628:1 Information DSATray.App CheckForNewScan () Setting icon to up to date { }
12/21/2021 16:13:59 -05:00 20628:1 Information DSATray.App OnExit () Exiting with exit code 0 { }
----------

...I thiiink...and I might be wrong here, but this section I believe represents 2-different times when I manually right-clicked on the system tray icon (DSATray.exe) for "Intel Driver & Support Assistant v21.7.50.3" and click on "Check For New Drivers" when it actually completes successfully represented by that last line of...

----------
12/21/2021 15:46:23 -05:00 19808:1 Information DSATray.App OnExit () Exiting with exit code 0 { }
----------

...and...

----------
12/21/2021 16:13:59 -05:00 20628:1 Information DSATray.App OnExit () Exiting with exit code 0 { }
----------

These lines on the other hand...

----------
12/21/2021 16:15:06 -05:00 18908:1 Information DSATray.App InitLogging () Started version { }
12/21/2021 16:15:06 -05:00 18908:1 Information DSATray.App InitApplication () Registered notification handlers { }
12/21/2021 16:15:06 -05:00 18908:1 Information DSATray.App InitTrayWcfHost () Tray communication WCF service started { }
12/21/2021 16:15:06 -05:00 18908:1 Information DSATray.App CheckForNewScan () Setting icon to up to date { }
12/21/2021 23:34:06 -05:00 18908:1 Error DSATray.App SafeLogError () Unhandled exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.|| at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifySyncModeStatus(Int32 enabledResult)|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyChannelMessage()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContextNotificationWindow.MessageFilter(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) { }
12/21/2021 23:34:06 -05:00 18908:1 Error DSATray.App SafeLogError () Unhandled exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.|| at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifySyncModeStatus(Int32 enabledResult)|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyChannelMessage()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContextNotificationWindow.MessageFilter(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)|| at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)|| at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)|| at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)|| at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)|| at DSATray.App.Main() { }
----------

...look to me like a "Check For New Drivers" was started, but never successfully generated one of those...

----------
Information DSATray.App OnExit () Exiting with exit code 0 { }
----------

...as presented in the 2-good working examples from above.

My initial gut feeling is...a memory leak which...well...whomever gets to read this might be laughing their butts-off on, but looking at that...

----------
12/21/2021 16:15:06 -05:00 18908:1 Information DSATray.App InitLogging () Started version { }
12/21/2021 16:15:06 -05:00 18908:1 Information DSATray.App InitApplication () Registered notification handlers { }
12/21/2021 16:15:06 -05:00 18908:1 Information DSATray.App InitTrayWcfHost () Tray communication WCF service started { }
12/21/2021 16:15:06 -05:00 18908:1 Information DSATray.App CheckForNewScan () Setting icon to up to date { }
12/21/2021 23:34:06 -05:00 18908:1 Error DSATray.App SafeLogError () Unhandled exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.|| at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifySyncModeStatus(Int32 enabledResult)|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyChannelMessage()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContextNotificationWindow.MessageFilter(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) { }
12/21/2021 23:34:06 -05:00 18908:1 Error DSATray.App SafeLogError () Unhandled exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.|| at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifySyncModeStatus(Int32 enabledResult)|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyChannelMessage()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContextNotificationWindow.MessageFilter(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)|| at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)|| at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)|| at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)|| at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)|| at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)|| at DSATray.App.Main() { }
----------

...it looks like at...

----------
12/21/2021 16:15:06 -05:00
----------

...I'll call it...the Saint Bernard...tried coming through the cat door...got stuck...and at...

----------
12/21/2021 23:34:06 -05:00
----------

...when I went to right-click on the system tray icon (DSATray.exe) for "Intel Driver & Support Assistant v21.7.50.3", it never presented me with the dropdown menu options of...

----------
Check For New Drivers
Frequently Asked Questions
Get Support
Intel Computing Improvement Program
Exit
----------

This post may have helped and...well...perhaps it didn't, but my question to you and the powers that be is...when looking at...

----------
----------

...and looking at...

----------
Error DSATray.App SafeLogError () Unhandled exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program.|| at System.Windows.Media.Composition.DUCE.Channel.SyncFlush()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifySyncModeStatus(Int32 enabledResult)|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.NotifyChannelMessage()|| at System.Windows.Media.MediaContextNotificationWindow.MessageFilter(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)|| at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)|| at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler) { }
----------

...I know we can all read, but when it says...

----------
Unhandled exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program
----------

...my mind goes...wait a minute... \O.o/ I have 40 GB of RAM and at least...as of this moment 181 GB of Free Space.

Onto the real question...

----------
Does that "Unhandled exception: System.OutOfMemoryException: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program" have an upper-limit set as a safety mechanism of sorts to prevent the processes linked to "Intel Driver & Support Assistant v21.7.50.3" from going past that potentially acceptable point?

I have plenty of RAM (26.1 Free and Available) and Storage Space remaining at Idle.
----------

I even thought this may have been linked to the toggle option for "Memory Integrity" found by searching for "Core Isolation" in "Microsoft Windows 11", but mine is already set to "Off".

Your thoughts my good man?
(Or anyone's thoughts?)

Sometimes talking out the details helps.

*readies Mjölnir for some Advanced Tier 5 Troubleshooting
( ; - D

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Thank you for all the information TrunksVegita, we'll keep working on this and post the updates on the thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
TrunksVegita
New Contributor I
0 Kudos
TrunksVegita
New Contributor I

Hiya David!

It’s been a while, so I figured now is as good a time as any to reach out for a status update.

I more than understand that these things sometimes take some time to identify and figure out a solution to, so all is good either way.

Just trying to do my part as who knows how many other people may have been and are still currently impacted by the same thing.

I’ll be near!
😉👍🏽

0 Kudos
TrunksVegita
New Contributor I

Heya David,

Just figured it was time for me to let you know that I'm still using the same version of "Intel Driver & Support Assistant v21.7.50.3" and that the "DSATray.exe" crashes have ceased since:

----------
01/27/2022 18:32:43 -05:00
----------

I tried to figure out what the ultimate fix was/is and found a few potentials under "Programs and Features" in "Microsoft Windows 11", those being:

----------
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB5008353)
Update for Microsoft Windows (KB5009469)
Service Stack 10.0.22000.469
----------

I mention those 3-because they were updated on 01/26/2022 and I honestly can't remember if I rebooted the system or not.

Around that same time too, if I'm not mistaken, "Intel Driver & Support Assistant v21.7.50.3" reported that there was a Graphics Driver Update, a Wireless Driver Update, and a Bluetooth Driver Update.

Sadly though, when I look under "Programs and Features", the only one I see showing when I sort it by the "Installed On" column is...

----------
Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) v22.110.2.1
----------

...which was installed on 02/01/2022.

In either case, this is the best I can currently tell and I can't call it as to what the specific fix was/is, but the "DSATray.exe" crash is no longer happening.

I'll keep this post as it is just in case there's any additional information you'd like me to share with you to help pinpoint precisely what the fix really was other than that it magically fixed/resolved itself.

Have a great day and I look forward to talking to you soon.

😉👍

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

Hello @TrunksVegita

Thank you for the updates and patience. After testing, looking at the files provided, and the updates that were applied it seems that these issues with WPF and tray icons were addressed which both impact DSATray. In summary, this was a Windows error that was fixed by a Windows Update, it wasn't a bug related to the Intel DSA. Let us know if you have any other questions or we will close this thread.

Regards, 

David G 

0 Kudos
TrunksVegita
New Contributor I

Hiya David!

No penalties at all my good man. I more than understand what it takes to identify some of these more elusive issues.

I just wanted to take the time to thank you and everyone else involved in helping to identify what appeared to be the problem, but yeah, no more crashes for now!

*nods ( : - D

That being said, I'll click the "Accept as solution" button on your most recent comment, and should I run into any additional problems that appear to be coming from any Intel-based software, I'll make sure to keep you all in the loop.

Until then, talk to you all later!

Have a Great Day/Afternoon/Evening/Night,

Isaac N. Romero

😉👍

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

We're glad to know the information helped. Hopefully, it will help other community members. Since the thread is now solved, we will close it. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.  

Best regards,  

David G  

0 Kudos