Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel Graphics Command Center broken Capture functionality

MDib
New Contributor II

Hello,

For the latest version from Microsoft Store, the DCH control panel is no longer offering me the Capture functionality, which I used just fine a few days ago. There's no way to download older versions of the CP from the Store, but I could find a Beta version that has the Capture functionality, but it's broken too, it creates 48kb files that cannot be opened if I try to record audio. Without audio, it's OK.

Have no idea why this occurs. Games seem gone too. I use the iGPU for Premiere Pro but also for recording the screen while gaming so not to create additional load on the Nvidia GPU. This is a desktop system.

Screenshot 2022-12-15 012510.png

46 Replies
MDib
New Contributor II

Adding SSU logs if needed.

Already performed a clean install with full removal of drivers in Safe Mode.

Also tried using the iGPU as the one serving the monitor through DisplayPort, instead of the Nvidia card, but the Capture (and Games) functionalities are still not there.

The recording function is still there, and audio works fine, I tried it with OBS and its Quicksync H264 mode.

It's just that the Intel CP broke it for some reason so now you have to use 3rd party apps.

xTahaPlayz
Beginner

Same Issue. I have a mid end GPU. So, I used to record with Intel GCC. No fps issue. Now Even with Quicksync H264 in OBS it still uses CPU and Nvidia GPU which basically drops frame and makes both the screen record and Game to lag. Especially in GTA 5. I really need the Capture back again 😞

0 Kudos
Stew52
New Contributor I

I am having the same issue. It started today. Capture worked ok earlier today then just quit working. Looked up my app version and there was a newer version. Did a full replacement install. Still do not have the capture options.

Steven_Intel

Hello MDib,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

I am sorry you are having issues with your Intel® Graphics Command Center. I'll be glad to assist you with that.

Just to be clear, could you please confirm if the Capture feature it is still there but not functioning properly or is it completely gone on latest version 1.100.4232.0?

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

MDib
New Contributor II

It's gone from the control panel provided by Intel, and I think the Games function is also gone, but can't remember for sure. The functionality itself definitely exists and works, I can use Quicksync to encode video with OBS and/or MSI Afterburner just fine, so I think the driver itself works OK, but the Microsoft Store app control panel no longer recognizes it, at least not for UHD630. 

Screenshot 2022-12-16 192656.png

Stew52
New Contributor I

I also have the UHD630 and the capture function is totally missing from the home page.

gonzalo76
Beginner

Yep, same problem here! Did a full replacement install. Still do not have the capture options. It's gone from the control panel provided by Intel. The capture feature seems to have been removed in the latest version. Not to mention how slow the Intel Graphis Command Center opens. It takes more than 5 minutes to open completely, ridiculous.  Xbox Game Bar works fine. Use Xbox Game Bar to capture game clips and screenshots on Windows

xTahaPlayz
Beginner

I also Have UHD 630 and use it for capturing

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

I appreciate the information given, MDib.

I will further investigate on this. As soon as I have an update, I will let you know.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

4MC
Novice

I came here for the same problem as well.

LeonWaksman
Super User

I've downloaded from Microsoft Store and installed the BETA version of IGCC and the Capture is still there and works.

Leon

Screenshot_20221221_093505.png

powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

@LeonWaksman wrote:

I've downloaded from Microsoft Store and installed the BETA version of IGCC and the Capture is still there and works.

Maybe the Beta is actually older here?, though the latest stable IGCC with the removed functionality is version 1.100.4232.0

LeonWaksman
Super User

One think more, you can use Keyboard shortcuts for Xbox Game Bar  (Windows logo key  + Alt + R: Start/stop recording) to record your screen without need for IGCC.

Leon

Edit:

Sorry, I saw that this information was already given by @gonzalo76 

Leon

salvatore112
Novice

That <removed>  crashes if win_xplorer gets in your focused app view.

0 Kudos
Stew52
New Contributor I

I also installed the older beta and yes it kinda works but has problems if I try to enable the audio capture. on my PC it appears to be doing the capture but when I stop it just leaves behind a 1KB file and will not start a new capture unless I close and restart the app. Then it repeats the same problem.

MDib
New Contributor II

Same here, it's mentioned in the first post. Getting unplayable files. If you monitor the iGPU, after a short spike of usage when you press the hotkey to start recording, it goes back to 0% usage (at least for me with a discreet GPU too), so the recording stops. If I disable audio, the recording proceeds as normal.

We need a new Intel CP release. I don't really understand why Intel has the "Beta" still on the Store, it's a 2019 release, it's been 3 years now, and the old CP doesn't work well with the newer drivers. I assume it's a remnant of the transition to the DCH model. 

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

I've checked the BETA IGCC on two NUCs: NUC8i7HVK and NUC7i7DNHE. Both NUCs running on Windows 11 Pro. I didn't have any problems/limits to recording video with audio. I could restart the recording without exiting the IGCC.

In order to enable audio capture, you need enable it  on the Capture tab in Advanced Settings.

BTW, I've uninstalled the version 1.100.4232.0 of the IGCC.

Leon

Screenshot_20221221_182854.png

0 Kudos
Stew52
New Contributor I

(A long post but I believe a must read on this issue)

I submitted a bug report to Intel several days ago. I have had several email conversations with an Intel Customer Support Technician on this issue.

Here are the results of the investigation on this issue:

The removal of the capture capability in the Graphics Command Center is not a bug. It was done intentionally.

From Tech:

“As per my investigation, I was able to replicate the issue, I understand that this feature has been supported by the Intel Graphics Command Center (IGCC). However, since this feature has now been added to Intel® Arc™ Control Software, it was removed from IGCC.”

My first thought was ok I’ll check out Intel® Arc™ Control Software but reading further he noted:

“For all 10th generation or older Intel Processors, this feature was depreciated.“

I checked out the Intel® Arc™ Control Software and it states you must have an 11th gen processor or newer to use it.

I sent the Tech the following response:

“As I understand it appears the Intel® Arc™ Control Software only works with 11th generation or higher processors. My PC has the Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700T processor and it appears has no option but to use the Intel Graphics Command Center (IGCC). I purchased my PC brand new 2 years ago and it appears the processor was released 2q20. I paid over $1200 for the system with substantially choosing it because the Intel Processor and GPU that was installed was state of the art and would not be considered outdated or unsupported for many years. But it appears you are you telling me that Intel is depreciating their support for a software package for my processor by removing a capability that was working and I used and not supporting a little over 2 year old graphics product with this capability. If this is the case I am very disappointed and believe Intel has made a poor choice in its support for its products and customers. I suspect I will not be the only one who will feel this way when they understand the action.”

The Tech replied:

“I understand your disappointment, as I know the importance for you to have these capture options available, I will check if there are any other alternatives for you.”

I can only assume since the Tech is looking for other options the return of capture option in the IGCC is not a being considered and we are where we are.

It appears Intel is more focused on supporting new customers and not supporting those who have been longer term customers.

Enjoy your “Depreciated” app.

MDib
New Contributor II

I'll have to assume clueless Intel rep.

We've already lost about 5-10% of the CPU potential with Meltdown/Spectre microcodes for Coffee Lake and other Skylake derived architectures.

You cannot simply remove functionality from a product like this after you sold it. 

At the very least Intel needs to release the appx for the older Intel CP with the functionality and we will use that, and block updates from the Store.

It's true that the actual functionality remains there, as you can use the decode/encode in videos, and you can capture with OBS or MSI Afterburner, but I would prefer to not run another app if not really needed. 

Imagine if Nvidia removed Shadowplay functionality from Geforce Experience for Pascal GPUs. 

Intel reps and customer support, I hope you understand how stupid and useless of a move this is and how it will add negative reputation to the brand? Just... why?

powerarmour
Valued Contributor II

@Stew52 wrote:

The removal of the capture capability in the Graphics Command Center is not a bug. It was done intentionally.

Of course it was.

I know Intel often makes dumb decisions, but this might be one of the dumbest.

When we actually need more features, they remove them instead.  Slow clap AXG, slow clap...😠