Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20948 Discussions

Intel Graphics Command Center colour depth settings

SkrikInte
Novice

Hi,

I found an old topic about this but it's closed.

I'll try and be brief: there are no colour depth settings in Graphics Command Center when I use DP over USBC as video output. Colour depth is automatically set at 8bit and I can't seem to find a way to push it to 10.

I am using the latest 31.0.101.4499 BETA drivers, on a NUC12 1260p

I understand the support to DP has been in the works for quite a few years..? Is it still something you're working on or it's been dropped for good? Is there any roadmap of sorts?

Should I just forget about it and look for a HDMI 2.1 to DP 1.4 active converter? Or is there a way to force 10bit?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SkrikInte, 

Thanks for your patience. In this case, there are no updates on the support for DP and USB-C, and there is no ETA either.

For now, the feature is only available for the HDMI. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SkrikInte,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities. I am sorry to know that you are having issues with your Intel NUC.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Can you confirm the exact model of your Intel Nuc?

2. Are you using any adapters? Are you using a straight connection?

3. Is this issue present with the stable driver version?

4. Can you take a picture of the issue?

5. What is the brand and model name of your monitor?

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
SkrikInte
Novice

Hi Deivid,

Thanks for replying.

1. It's a Intel® NUC 12 Pro Kit NUC12WSKi7
  2. I am using a USBC cable to connect it straight to the monitor, USBC to USBC (monitor has a USBC DP Alt-mode), no adapters in between. Cable is 107032-BLK-0.8m by CableMatters.
  3. I had the exact same problem with 31.0.101.1999 stable drivers, I found a post where one of your colleagues wrote (loosely) that a colour depth option was in the works for DP too (in 2021 I believe...), so I decided to update the drivers to the latest version hoping to find the option, but no luck.
  4. This is what I see on my Nuc when the it's connected via USBC DP Alt mode
    Screenshot 2023-06-21 092529.png
    and this is what I see when it's connected via HDMI (this exact image is from my laptop but it's on the same driver release - so I could make sure it wasn't just my Nuc), and this way I can modify colour depth and even colour format:
    Screenshot 2023-06-21 092423.png
  5. Right now is connected to a MSI Optix MPG341CQR, but yesterday I tested it with BenQ SW321C as well, to no avail.
    They both have the same ports: 2xHDMI 2.0, 1xDP 1.4 and 1xUSBC DP Alt mode; if I connect them with an HDMI cable, I can freely choose to set 10bit in SDR too, but if I use the USBC DP Alt mode connection that option disappears, and it's set to 8bit by default (10bit only when HDR is active).
    Obviously I can't use HDMI on my MSI because it won't have enough bandwidth to run 3440x1440 @ 144hz 10bit (25.68Gbps bandwidth): all I get is 3440x1440 60hz (I guess I could push it to 75hz...) because the HDMI 2.0 video bandwidth is limited to 14.4Gbps. I would need to use USBC DP Alt mode with the full 25.92Gbps video bandwidth the DP1.4 interface grants.

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II
SkrikInte
Novice

Thank you very much.  I see it's been a problem for a while...

You really seem to know your stuff btw. Thanks for sharing.
And cheers for the HDMI 2.1 to DP adapter, I didn't know Club3D had one, I was eyeing a cheaper quality one on Amazon.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SkrikInte, 

Thanks for your response. I would like to investigate this issue further and to continue I will need the following:

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

3. Provide the system report from Intel® Driver & Support Assistant:

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
MUC
Valued Contributor II

I do believe the problem is crystal clear. Please read the history of the thread and ALL the links in it and also the links in the linked threads. A response from the Graphics Team is awaited.

SkrikInte
Novice

I am happy to oblige, if only to enter another request to add DisplayPort support to colour depth/format profiles on IGGC or Arc Support.

although as @MUC said, this is a long standing issue... I just didn't know about it. I have even found the original thread were this was discussed for the first time. Take a look for yourself.

Your colleagues were even saying that it had been added to a roadmap and it would be released in the upcoming months. This was back in October 2021.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SkrikInte, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SkrikInte, 

Thanks for your time. Based on the investigation performed, those options are only for Native HDMI. This is a limitation when using DisplayPort, USB-C, VGA, or when using adapters.

You can find more details in the following link:

If you have any questions just let me know.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
SkrikInte
Novice

Thank you Deivid,

I figured it be would something along those lines, unfortunately.

On this thread from Oct 2021 you can see one of your colleagues saying the addition eventually made it to the roadmap.

Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 09-29-24 Color Depth & Color Format now available!.png

Do you know if this is still true? Could you let us know, as there seems to be quite an interest in the subject.

I appreciate your time and effort.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SkrikInte, 

Thanks for your response. I will proceed to confirm these details internally and as soon as I have any information I will get back to you.

Thanks for your comprehension.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello SkrikInte, 

Thanks for your patience. In this case, there are no updates on the support for DP and USB-C, and there is no ETA either.

For now, the feature is only available for the HDMI. If you have any other questions just let me know.

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
SkrikInte
Novice

Thanks Deivid,

I guess that's it for now. Quite sad.

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @SkrikInte

Thank you for your reply and we are sorry for the inconvenience this may cause.

This thread will no longer be monitored, but if you need further assistance, feel free to contact us back and submit a new post.

Have a rest of the week.

Best regards,  

Jocelyn M.   

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos