Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20492 Discussions

Intel Graphics Command Center reverts from Stretched to Maintain Aspect Ratio after AutoRotation.

RichSNJ
Beginner

Hi,

I have seen this question posted in this forum with no viable answer, so I'm posting it again as I don't seem to be able to contact Intel directly.

I have 2 2-in-1 notebook / tablets, both Windows 10.  One is a 4 year old Toshiba, one is a 1 year old HP Spectre x360.

I don't have the Toshiba in front of me right now, but it uses the "legacy" non windows 10 Metro app style Intel Graphics control center, and when I select the scaling options to Stretch, it maintains that no matter what I do to the tablet (rotate or tablet mode etc)

My Spectre uses the new Intel Graphics Command Center with the latest drivers, and I have the resolution set to 1920x1200 and the Scale in Intel Graphics set to Stretched.  Whenever I rotate the notebook, the scaling immediately reverts to "Maintain Aspect Ratio" and I have to go back into the control panel and set it to stretched again.

This is especially annoying because I wind up carrying my notebook around sideways way way more than I ever use it as a tablet, so if I walk down the hallway and it tilts too much, then it reverts.

I had bypassed this problem by turning off the detection of the rotate sensor in the registry, but I updated my windows and I can't seem to find that setting anymore.

This is incredibly annoying, how can I contact Intel's software team to address this issue?

0 Kudos
17 Replies
RichSNJ
Beginner

Update, I just updated my Toshiba to the latest version of Windows 10 and drivers and it's now got the same issue.  "Intel Graphics Control Panel" is what it used to have, which worked great, and updating Windows / Driver replaced that with Intel Graphics Command Center which has the issue.

0 Kudos
Vortex64
Novice

BTW what does mean that center?

0 Kudos
RichSNJ
Beginner

>>BTW what does mean that center?

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking?

0 Kudos
Vortex64
Novice

I mean i have that Intel graphics command Center on startup. May i disable it or not?

P.S. may you reply to my post here please? https://community.intel.com/t5/Graphics/Virtualization-for-best-performance/m-p/1259957#M94744

it is important for me.

Thanks in advanced.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello RichSNJ,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following (for both units):  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download it here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer  

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Provide the Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers: 

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html 

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with the report(s) to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities.  

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
RichSNJ
Beginner

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

I won't have access to my hp until tomorrow or Monday but I will try this and get back to you.

0 Kudos
RichSNJ
Beginner

Update:

I forgot that I also have a Dell Latitude 3379 2-in-1.  Both the Toshiba and the Dell have Intel HD 520 graphics.  Both the Toshiba and Dell had the Intel Graphics Control Panel installed, which worked perfectly - the aspect ratio remained stretched at all times after a rotation.  

I updated the graphics driver on both the Toshiba and Dell to the current drivers and they both now have the Intel Graphics Command Console instead of the Intel Graphics Control Panel, and they both now exhibit the same issue - if you have a non standard resolution set with the aspect ratio set to Stretched and then rotate the screen - it immediately changes the aspect ratio to Maintain Aspect Ratio and you get black bars on the sides until you set it back to stretched.

3 different notebooks from 3 different manufacturers exhibiting the same issue.  To me this clearly demonstrates that the issue is with the Intel Graphics Command Console and it just needs to be fixed so that it remembers its setting after a rotate. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello RichSNJ, 

While I wait for the missing report, you may want to try the following on both Toshiba and Dell laptop since they have the same graphics:

1. Use the 15.45.34.5174 and 27.20.100.9316. Based on the report, your Toshiba laptop may be using their own driver version instead of the ones from Intel, so try with Intel drivers to check if the issue persists.

- Version 15.45.34.5174:https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30195/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-45-

- Version 27.20.100.9316: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30266/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

2. Run all the Windows updates, including the optional just to discard any possibilities.

Do not forget to add the Graphics report

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics.html

Regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
RichSNJ
Beginner

>> 1. Use the 15.45.34.5174 and 27.20.100.9316. Based on the report, your Toshiba laptop may be using their own driver version instead of the ones from Intel, so try with Intel drivers to check if the issue persists.

The Toshiba had automatically updated to the drivers it had when I upgraded to the latest version of Windows.  The Dell on the other hand, did not.  So yesterday in order to see if the issue existed on it, I upgraded to the latest version of windows, put all the latest patches on, and had to manually update to the latest driver from Intel, which is the 27.20.100.9316 driver that you mentioned dated 2/18/2021.  I'm not sure which 15.45.34.5174 driver you're referring to.

Anyway, the issue presents itself with all the latest updates and I just sent the ssu report for the Dell to you via e-mail

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello RichSNJ, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
RichSNJ
Beginner

>I will proceed to check the issue internally and post back soon with more details. 

That's great, it would be wonderful to have this fixed!

PS - I got my HP Spectre back today and I uploaded the SSU report for you.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello RichSNJ,

Thanks for all the information, with this I am going to check further this situation.

I will post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello RichSNJ, 

This issue may be related to some incompatibility between the Intel Graphics Command Center, BIOS, and drivers. My recommendation to discard this possibility is to get in contact with the manufacturer of the laptop(s) and check if it is needed a BIOS update or use only the manufacturer drivers to complete compatibility.

Do not hesitate to let me know the outcome from the manufacturer(s)

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
RichSNJ
Beginner

>This issue may be related to some incompatibility between the Intel Graphics Command Center, BIOS, and drivers. My recommendation to discard this possibility is to get in contact with the manufacturer of the laptop(s) and check if it is needed a BIOS update or use only the manufacturer drivers to complete compatibility.

Hi, I sort of expected an answer like this, but it's very disappointing.  3 different notebooks from 3 different manufacturers.  2 of them, which originally came with the control panel worked perfectly, now all with the command center they all do the same thing.

Actually, I had already contacted HP prior to trying here and they shook their proverbial heads and advised me to contact Intel.  

The HP is using the latest bios with the latest drivers from HP's website, both of which have been upgraded and the problem existed since I got it last year.   The Dell and the Toshiba are both out of support and the drivers available from the mfgr use the control panel, but they are using the latest drivers from the Intel website to demonstrate the issue.  Unfortunately there are no "old" drivers for the HP because its newer than the command center, or I would simply downgrade it.

I believe that I've demonstrated that the Command Center is simply not programmed to remember that setting after a rotation and it needs to be fixed by the developers.  Instead of me going and finding yet another 2-in-1 that I can rotate the screen with and demonstrating that it will still not work right, would  you be willing try it with any 2-in-1 you have access to and see if it works correctly for you?

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello RichSNJ, 

Thank you for letting me know that you already talked with HP to check the configuration, with that in mind I would like to run a little test.

Please try to install the Intel® Graphics Control Panel from the Microsoft store(https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000055711/graphics.html) and try to set the same configuration and let me know if you still present the same behavior on your laptop.

Also, bear in mind that the Intel® Graphics Command Center may include/allow or not some features depending on the operating system and the laptop manufacturer. This situation may be found with the latest laptops or the latest Windows versions that came with the Intel® Graphics Command Center since the laptop manufacturer do not allow some customization options on their units and the older laptops and windows versions that came with the Intel® Graphics Control Panel were allow to perform those changes due to the manufacturer allowed the features.

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello RichSNJ,  

Were you able to check the previous post? Please let me know if you need more assistance.   

Regards,  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello RichSNJ,  

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance or if you have additional questions, please create a new thread and we will gladly assist you.  

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos