Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Intel Graphics Command center not detecting Dedicated graphics card (Shows it as unknown)

Saphi
Beginner

Some days ago, probably after the last Nvidia Update or Intel update this november, my laptop's performance started to get worse, after taking some time to investigate, i noticed that most of my games aren't using my Nvidia Graphics Card, and the Intel Graphics command center isn't even noticing it, using the Integrated Graphics instead of the dedicated ones. rising my CPU Usage to 100% most of the time.  The Intel Graphics Command Center shows it as "Unknown 1C20", in another post i saw the same issue.image.png

Using Deep Rock Galactic as an example, it is mostly using the GPU 0 (My Intel HD Graphics 630) to do must of the work while my NVIDIA GTX 1060 lays back and doesn't get worked up at all, you can also see my CPU going straight to 100% Usage.

image.pngimage.png

Screenshot_60.png

I tried rollbacking my drivers to see if anything fixed up, but the problem remains.

Now i tested playing Apex Legends, which detects and uses the dedicated graphics card (GPU 1), and yeah, it still chews up my laptop pretty bad, but Apex is a pretty heavy game in the end, and it proves that it's using my dedicated graphics card. I can also note that my laptop is pretty old already and it doesn't work as well as in it's prime, though Deep Rock isn't heavier than Apex, they have mostly the same requirements to run, so, why is it giving me such a problem?

image.pngimage.png

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? i have been looking at forums and it's been talked about recently with no solution given by Intel aside of "It's being fixed". But it's a pretty serious problem, i have tried changing graphics priorities and uninstalling stuff that might have something with it, nothing is working out. I'm scared my CPU and GPU is going to fry up more than it probably already is.

Thanks in advance! 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Saphi

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In regards to this behavior, Intel Graphics Command Center shows non-Intel discrete cards as "unknown", we would like to inform you that Intel® is aware of this and the cause for this issue is being currently investigated. A fix will be included in the next Intel Graphics Command Center release. We recommend checking for future updates and releases.

In regard to the issue "games not using the discrete graphics NVIDIA", please provide us with the following details to review this further:

1- Considering that other games are able to use the discrete graphics NVIDIA* (expected/desired behavior), chances are this could be due to the games (like "Deep Rock Galactic") are failing to properly detect the graphics cards/resources. Have you checked this with the game developers for any suggestions, updates, or tips?

Please note that dual-graphics configurations have two main components: Hardware component and Operating System (OS) component. The first one is related to the design and integration by the computer/laptop manufacturer (OEM), and the second one is regarding how resources are handled and assigned to the different tasks. Have you also checked with Microsoft* Support or your computer manufacturer (OEM) for additional information or suggestions?

2- Have you tried selecting the discrete graphics NVIDIA* (dGPU) as the default GPU for those games? For instance, using the NVIDIA Control Panel or Windows Settings?

In Windows, you may try the following these steps:

a- Open Settings on Windows 10.

b- Click on System.

c- Click on Display.

d- Under the “Displays” section, click the Graphics settings option.

e- Select the app type using the drop-down menu:

• Classic app (traditional (Win32) desktop programs)
  • Microsoft app (apps available through the Microsoft* Store)

If you select the Classic app option, you will need to click the Browse button to locate the “.exe” file to specify the app.

f- Use the drop-down menu and select the app.

g- Click the Add button.

h- Click the Options button:

• Set the graphics preference you want to use for the app, for instance:
    • High performance — runs the app on the most capable GPU, usually the external or discrete graphics processor.
  • Click the Save button.

3- Is the behavior occurring with Intel® generic drivers, with the customized drivers from your OEM, or with both?

4- Details of the specific games that experience this behavior? Or is this occurring only with the "Deep Rock Galactic"?

5- A Report for Intel® Graphics Drivers following the steps on the link. If you use external monitors to play the games, make sure the monitors in question are connected to the computer when generating the report.

6- Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to verify that both the processor and the GPU (Graphics Processing Unite) are fine.

To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.

7- Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save.
  • Once you have saved the file (.txt file), please attach it to your reply.

To upload and attach a file, use the "Drag and drop here or browse files to attach" option below the response textbox.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Saphi

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you need further assistance. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Saphi

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos