Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20622 Discussions

Intel Graphics Driver Screen Flicker

Candice266
Beginner

I'm using a Surface Laptop 3 that I've had for a few years now and opened it today to my screen flickering slightly. 

My laptop is fully updated, including both Intel and Microsoft drivers, and I've checked for incompatible apps and any viruses/malware, but they're all good. I have a second monitor and the flickering still happens on my laptop screen when it's plugged in via USB-c, but not on the other monitor.

The only thing that stops the flickering is uninstalling the Intel Plus Graphics driver, but this is obviously not ideal.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Candice266.

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

When did the issue start?

When does the issue happen? Is it when using a specific application?

Do you recall any hardware or software changes?

Is there any other graphics issue on your monitor?

Create a report using the Intel®️ System Support Utility (Intel®️ SSU)  

• Download the Intel SSU (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/25293/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html)

• Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel®️ SSU will take you to the "Summary View." 

• Click on the menu where it says: "Summary" to change it to "Detailed View." 

• To save your scan: click on "Next"; then "Save." 

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Candice266
Beginner

When did the issue start?

The issue started yesterday (the day of the original post) when I opened my laptop in the afternoon.

When does the issue happen? Is it when using a specific application?

It happened constantly in all applications unless I was moving my mouse cursor.

Do you recall any hardware or software changes?

No 

Is there any other graphics issue on your monitor?

No

Create a report using the Intel

The scan is attached

An update: 

I uninstalled and reinstalled the graphics driver, then restarted my computer 3 times with no change as it started flickering again when it turned back on. Gave up and closed my laptop, then came back and the flickering had stopped.

It seems to have stopped but it's not something that I want to happen again.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello Candice266,

Since you mention that the flickering has stopped, I would like to monitor to confirm if the problem reappears. Let me know if you face any issues.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
MarkBullard
Beginner

Hi @Jean_Intel 

I'm having the same issue as reported by @Candice266 and I can tell from numerous posts found from Google search of "Surface Laptop 3 Screen Flicker" that lots of people are also experiencing this issue.  I've tried downloading the latest graphics driver from the Intel site after a scan of my system but they screen flicker is still present.  What would you recommend as a next step?

Thanks! Mark

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello @Candice266,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello @MarkBullard,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Please submit a new question on the Nuc community forums, and provide a detailed explanation of the situation to have a more personalized troubleshooting step for your issue. If you'd like, you can try my suggestions from this thread.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
MarkBullard
Beginner

Hi Jean,

Many thanks for the response.  Recommending to others that aren't able to resolve to update their registry as described in the following link (it worked great for me and the screen on my Surface Laptop 3 is no longer flickering - thank god!): 

https://www.stewright.me/2018/01/fix-for-flickering-brightness-on-surface-device-display/#:~:text=The%20fix%20for%20flickering%20brightness%20on%20Surface%20devices,Editor%20Open%20the%20Start%20menu%20and%20type%20%E2%80%98regedit%E2%80%99.

If you don't trust the link, just search on "Surface Screen Flicker regedit".

Mark

0 Kudos