Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20602 Discussions

Intel HD 4400 DirectX 11 scaling issues

MMISS43
Beginner

Hello,

First of I want to notice that I'm aware that there are a lot of threads on this particular subject, both on intel's and other forums. But I thought it would be a good idea to put all the information I've gathered in the past few days in one thread.

So let's start with the description of my problem. As the title says it's a scaling issue, whenever I change the resolution of a game to non-native I just get a centered screen with black borders around it. This happens with the HD 4400 chip in combination with the Nvidia GT 730M running on windows 8.1. And ofcourse all the drivers are up to date.

Now I have found out myself that this problem is related to DirectX 11, for this only happens in applications that use that version of DirectX. The best example for this is crysis 2, I changed my resolution to 1280 by 720 and boom there were the familiar black borders. But when I disable the use of DirectX 11 in the graphics option of crysis 2 it suddenly scales properly.

But this problem only occurs when running the desktop in native resolution (1920 by 1080). When I change the resolution to ANY other one, I suddenly get more display scaling options available in the Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, I can now choose "Scale Full Screen". When running the desktop at a lower resolution with that scaling option, I can run DirectX 11 games in any resolution and they will scale just fine!

For some people this works as a fix though:

1) change display resolution to below-native, 1024 by 768 for instance

2)choose "Scale Full Screen" and save

3)change display resolution back to native

4)profit

But sadly for me this doesn't work, the intel settings just go back to "Maintain Display Scaling" and my games still have black borders around the edges.

So right now the fix is change desktop resolution for gaming or disable DirectX 11 when possible. I hope that the intel team can figure something out for their next drivers or that there are people on this forum that know an actual good fix. The only thing that I haven't tried yet is to install older drivers and see if those work or to disable the intel hd 4400 chip (which isn't a very good idea I believe)

~Cheezzzus

0 Kudos
18 Replies
sslar
Beginner

I am experiencing the exact same issue with Civilization V, works fine in DirectX 9 mode but with DirectX 11 the image is not scaled when using lower than native resolutions. In addition, I also noticed that in DirectX 11 mode some resolutions are missing that are available in DirectX 9 mode (in particular, 1280x720 is missing in DirectX 11).

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry to hear that have had issues with Scaling modes.

I appreciate your feedback on this matter. I will make sure your comment reaches the proper department for future consideration.

Thank you for taking the time to communicate this issue to us.

Allan.

0 Kudos
MColt
Beginner

I confirm that I have the same problem with Crysis 2 over HD4400 chip + Nvidia 735m + Windows 8.1 (all driver up-to-date) and DirectX 11...

If my desktop is setting to higher resolution like 1920x1080, with DirectX11 enabled in the Crysis 2 game options, the game screen set to 1024x768 resolution appear small in the middle of the screen with heavy black border.

Disabling DirectX 11 in the graphics option of crysis 2 it suddenly scales properly.

Intel, Nvidia or Microsoft have fixed this problem?

Best regards, Max

0 Kudos
EAlle1
Novice

I also confirm the problem. Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro with 3200x1800 display and Intel HD Graphics 4400. DirectX 11 games won't scale properly to fill the screen in lower resolution modes. I even tried to force-update drivers to version 10.18.10.3496, but to no avail. (Lenovo only provides 10.18.10.3304 drivers, and updates must be manually installed.)

Intel, what are you doing? The original poster reported this problem three months ago. Where is the driver fix?

0 Kudos
EAlle1
Novice

So, Intel, are you taking on to fixing this driver bug or not? Do you need more information?

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Sorry about the trouble. If there are issues that carried over from previous drivers that you are still experiencing, feel free to announce them again here:

/message/228728# 228728 https://communities.intel.com/message/228728# 228728

Allan.

0 Kudos
ARoin
Beginner

This problem remains unfixed. What's more, with Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro I cannot even install Intel's latest graphics drivers as the installer self-aborts and tells me to get the drivers "from the manufacturer". Lenovo doesn't offer drivers newer than October 2013. The Intel Update Manager that came with the laptop hasn't been able to connect to Intel servers since May 29th, 2014, for whatever reason. It just insist I have to check my internet connection.

This is the most expensive laptop I've ever bought and if Intel cannot even fix a simple issue like resolution scaling on it, it will be last computer I ever buy that even smells of an Intel chipset.

0 Kudos
B1
Beginner

I have to say I feel a bit shafted by Intel regarding this bug. It's been known since day 1 and yet there has been no acknowledgement of the issue, just generic customer service script responses. I'm going to specifically avoid Intel for my next laptop purchase due to this issue and how it's been handled. This is not a good way to treat your userbase, Intel.

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

I work in the graphics driver team - we have debugged the issue and identified some differences in how Windows 8.1 + DX11 pass scaling options to our driver which is different than older operating systems and different than DirectX9. We are working on a fix.

HCart
Beginner

That is wonderful news! Thank you for looking into this.

0 Kudos
Jelli9
Beginner

Hello everyone! I've been having same issue of black borders in games(e.g. saints row 3 and saints row 4), but I've found my solution to be downloading drivers from manufacturers site.(native screen resolution 1080p)

I'm using ASUS N550JK with

Windows 8.1,

Intel Core i7-4710HQ with integrated graphics and

NVidia GEFORCE GTX 850M.

So I went to ASUS support site and searched for my laptop, there i just chose latest driver for Intel in VAC category, installed it and, voila - issues solved.

So to summarise everything, it seems that problem actually WAS in drivers. And if solution is needed - manufacturers support website is place to go.

I want to thank intel support staff on this website for doing great job(to be honest I can't remember the one who suggested going to manufacturers site), and I hope this will solve this problem for others too.
0 Kudos
EAlle1
Novice

@StanT101, there must be something else going on with your system now. I just looked up, and the driver version ASUS is offering on their website is 15.33.20, from last April 25th. Even Intel's much newer 15.36.7 from October 3rd doesn't solve the problem, and much less Lenovo's driver (my laptop is Lenovo) 15.33.18 from March 2014. Basically, the drivers are not yet fixed, and ASUS's driver from last April even couldn't be.

0 Kudos
Jelli9
Beginner

As one of the support staff of Intel forums said on one of other posts it all depends on your system, with my software and hardware these drivers were optimised for the system, and it worked for me. And once again quoting''...newest Intel's drivers may not be optimised for some system specifications, and optimised drivers should be found on manufacturers wepsite...''

0 Kudos
EAlle1
Novice

This isn't about optimising the drivers for specific hardware. This is about the driver working with the operating system and DirectX. More specifically, about "some differences in how Windows 8.1 + DX11 pass scaling options to our driver which is different than older operating systems and different than DirectX9", as the guy actually making those drivers said. This is also something that the hardware manufacturers won't fix by themselves, before Intel fixes their reference drivers first. And even after that, it might take even half a year before the OEMs release their own driver version. Meanwhile, we'll have just to stick with the reference drivers. Which work perfectly well with a multitude of hardware combinations, even without OEMs putting their own frills in them. It might have happened that ASUS fixed that specific driver bug on their own, but it also might be something completely different. Pardon my scepticism, but I really doubt ASUS had made that kind of low-level code change to the driver, to a part which has nothing to do with the ASUS's own hardware, and had done it already before last April and not even reported to Intel how the fix was made. And as I said, Lenovo offers only a driver 9 months old, and it has never worked, so it doesn't help other laptop users if ASUS has a fix done. We'll have to just wait for Intel to fix the reference driver and hope it gets done soon enough. It most surely happens many many months before Lenovo publishes a new driver version. A suggestion "download the newest drivers from the laptop manufacturer" does really help nothing, because those drivers are a) very old and b) as broken as Intel's own.

Bottom line: the driver is not yet fixed, and I hope the next Intel's driver release comes soon enough and has this bug corrected.

0 Kudos
jputn2
Beginner

I can confirm this is still an issue with my system. I have a Sony VAIO SVF15N190X with Nvidia and Intel integrated graphics. My native screen resolution is 2880 by 1620, and I experience this letterboxing issue at with Bioshock Infinite, Bioshock, and Assassin's Creed, among other games. If I drop the screen resolution to 1920 by 1080 or below, the issue disappears until I restore native resolution.

0 Kudos
EAlle1
Novice

I just tested the new drivers, version 15.36.14, released just last week. To no avail. Didn't work.

What is good that I have found how to get even Civilization V (DX11 version) to work with the resolution change. Earlier, it wasn't enough that you changed the resolution lower (e.g. 1600x900); the scaling always reset after the intro video. But if also log out and log in again, it works. This is because how the Windows 8.1 DPI scaling works; it resets after you log out and in. I suppose this is also the root cause of the bug: how DPI scaling was changed in Windows 8.1 in contrast to Windows 8.0. I didn't yet try to change the DPI scaling manually to 100 %, but it might work as well. Of course that isn't much help, because HiDPI displays are unusable without 200 % DPI scaling, but could do it just for testing's sake.

0 Kudos
JEFFREY_F_Intel
Employee

Please checkout newest driver posted for Haswell/Broadwell product generations (Intel HD Graphics 4200/4400/4600/5000 + Iris 5100 and Iris Pro 5200 + Intel HD Graphics 5300, 5500, 6000, Iris 6100, Iris Pro 6200):

- NEW- Intel® Iris™, Iris™ Pro, and HD Graphics Driver update posted for Haswell and Broadwell version 15.36.21.4222">

Make sure to follow the instructions about selecting preferred scaling option in Intel control panel and checking the "Override Application Scaling" checkbox.

EAlle1
Novice

The update now did the trick, after checking on the "Override Application Settings" as instructed on the driver update page. Tested on Civilization V in DirectX 11 mode, and it works. Both the Maintain Aspect Ratio and Scale Full Screen modes worked just as expected. Thank you.