Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20951 Discussions

Intel HD 530 - Graphics Corruption in Mozilla Firefox

idata
Employee

Hi,

I am experiencing random graphics corruption in Mozilla Firefox.

The issue:

Whenever I minimize Firefox and restore it, the Firefox window appears garbled and text appears to be illegible. Moving the mouse cursor over the affected areas, seems to bring the missing parts of the window into view.

Minimizing, maximizing, or resizing Firefox appears to correct the issue (until I minimize Firefox again and the issue reappears).

While this is annoying and impedes productivity, the graphics corruption is limited only to Firefox. However, since that is my main web browser, I would like to get the issue fixed asap.

Points to observe:

• My laptop has an Intel HD 530 graphics subsystem (running on an Intel Core i7-6700HQ processor)
  • The laptop also has a dedicated nVidia GeForce GTX 950M graphics card
  • I am running Windows 10 Home (64-bit)
  • The issue occurs only in Mozilla Firefox
  • Mozilla does not list this as a known bug in their repository (as far as I can tell, I am the only one experiencing this issue)
  • The corruption persists even after restarting the laptop or starting the machine from cold boot
  • The issue occurs at random
  • I have the latest version of Firefox (with all plugins updated)
  • Creating a new Firefox profile (even with no add-ons installed) will not solve the corruption issue
  • I have 2 versions of Microsoft Direct X installed (Direct X 12 and 9.0c for playing older games) but the issue persisted even before I installed version 9.0c
  • I am running version 20.19.15.4360 of the Intel HD Graphics Driver (I have not updated the drivers nor have I tried any other version yet)
  • I experienced a graphics corruption while typing this post and have attached a screenshot below to demonstrate my issue

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

(in the above screenshot, the complete top part is missing. If I were to move the mouse cursor over the affected areas, then some missing parts will reappear. Minimizing, maximizing, and resizing Firefox will also correct the issue temporarily)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bryce__Intel
Employee

Hi all,

Looks like Gapudo reports this resolved with 4463. I've been monitoring the thread and no one else is reporting anything. Using the latest driver, is everyone seeing this issue resolved? If not, what driver version and CPU are you using and what's the failure rate? Seeing if I can close this out as fixed or not. Thanks.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
128 Replies
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi pschlan,

Your laptop has an nvidia discrete video card also ?

0 Kudos
PSchl1
Beginner

Hi,

sorry, missed the context. Just have the Intel one in a Dell XPS 13.

0 Kudos
MEric1
Beginner

I was instructed by MSI to install driver 15.40.22.4424 so I did a clean uninstall and tried this version. It did not help and in fact I now have corruption in more applications, including Notepad++ and Windows itself.

0 Kudos
LU1
Beginner

Just chipping to say I've also hit this in FF on my on my Dell XPS 15 9550, with intel driver version 20.19.15.4390 (the latest available from the Dell support website).

Another odd behaviour I see is sporadic driver crashes and restarts (usually when doing benign things in a cygwin bash console of all things... with software like Eclipse and Firefox in the background)

Finally, when I had DisplayLink drivers installed, I would get blue-screens of death from their dll. i understand that it needs to cooperate with the video card drivers at the driver level, so I would be suspicious of any memory corruption / race conditions (etc) in one driver taking out the other. I used system restore to back out these drivers, before updating the intel drivers to the latest version given above. For now that issue has gone away (but obviously it's not a real solution, and I hope I can get that back running soon). The first 2 issues still remain.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi lukeu,

Did that DisplayLink diver came with laptop ?

0 Kudos
LU1
Beginner

That driver was for a "DA200" adapter which Dell sells, using http://www.displaylink.com/ http://www.displaylink.com/ technology, for display-over-USB (plus a few other features). I installed that later on, hence how I was able to back it out using System Restore for the purpose of testing.

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

I thought they used that adapter inside laptop

0 Kudos
PY
Beginner

Hi, been following this thread awhile and had to make some input

I bought a Acer V3-372 for about 4-5 months ago with Intel i5-6200U and Intel HD graphics 520, Windows 10 64bit and having same problems with my laptop.

I can confirm using the latest https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25957/Intel-Beta-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-and-Windows-7-8-1-15-40-?product=88355 Beta 15.40.23.4444 (4/29/2016) still makes latest Firefox 46.0.1 (x64, "Use hardware acceleration..." enabled) blank when maximizing the window and youtube videos are still tearing. No tearing when playing with Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.

Been trying 15.40.18.4380, Beta 15.40.20.4404, 15.40.14.4352, 15.40.22.4424 from Intel Support site and 20.19.15.4364 (Latest) from Acers Support site.

Hope the issues get fixed pretty soon!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi p83,

I came to the exact same conclusion. I haven't tried all versions of the Intel drivers, but I can assert that the glitches mentioned in this thread extend to a number of Intel HD Graphics chipsets (that were recently released; within the last 6-9 months).

I am using the latest Intel drivers (suggested by Allan from Intel), version 20.19.15.4424 and I am still experiencing graphics corruption and glitches. I have also noticed that Acrobat Reader DC and Corel PaintShop Pro X7 are now showing random glitches.

In fact, with the "Use hardware acceleration when available" option turned on in Firefox, I experienced a glitch while replying to your post (see attached screenshot).

@ Allan [Intel Admin] please take not of this issue

0 Kudos
TX1
Beginner

same problem here with Intel HD 520 in my HP Envy 13.

with latest drivers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for reporting this issue. As soon as I get any information about it. I'll update this thread.

Allan.
0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi,

I just found a newer driver version here: http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=352&func=fileinfo&id=2217&lang=fr Intel HD & Iris Graphics Drivers Version 20.19.15.4454 WHQL

Please don't release this if you gonna release it. I tested it and I got in IE on facebook video clips jumping from their positions to the right down corner, and playing cropped.

0 Kudos
MEric1
Beginner

Hi @ Allan [Intel]

I am Having the exact same issue described by FiZi and others in this thread. I have a new MSI PE60-6QE laptop with Intel HD graphics 530 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M.

I am on Windows 10 and my Intel driver version is 20.19.15.4404 (this is the current OEM driver from the MSI support page for my laptop). I have tried different drivers and found that I do not see the problem when all drivers are uninstalled and I am running on the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter." I also do not see it when I install just the NVIDIA driver. However, installation of any Intel driver (either the OEM or the updated versions mentioned in this thread) causes corruption/artifacts in Firefox and Acrobat Reader DC. See images below. This happens whether hardware acceleration in Firefox is on or off.

I have been through days of support calls and chats with the PC vendor and they finally suggested that I just run the machine on NVIDIA all the time. I obviously don't want to do that because of heat and battery life issues.

Looking forward to an Intel fix for this.

0 Kudos
FiZi
Beginner

I thought you guys had it nailed with 4444. Things are a lot better but still not perfect.

0 Kudos
DRyan1
Beginner

Yeah that's exactly the kind of thing I had. It is much less frequent with 4444 though.

0 Kudos
PY
Beginner

I also noticed less frequent graphic corruption on Firefox and Thunderbird when minizing/maximing to tray, but the tearing when playing video on Youtube still persists.

I think I had less of a day of usage on the laptop since I bought it in winter 😕

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

Hi,

Before you install a new driver, uninstall the old driver, and after uninstall use this utility to remove any old settings/files that remained in the system using this utility: http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.7.5.5

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

For everyone with laptop PE60 6QE, there is a new bios dated 26.05.16 : https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/PE60-6QE.html# down-bios Support For PE60 6QE | MSI Global | Laptops - The best gaming laptop provider

It seems that they messed up the nvidia graphics adapter name ... I don't know if this is causing your problems but you should update the bios.

MEric1
Beginner

Thank you Ronin - I did update the BIOS 2 weeks ago and it solved some sleep/wake issues I was having, but didn't affect the issue with the Intel driver.

The VBIOS version on my machine is actually newer than the one on the MSI support page (which iwas released 9/18/2015). Tech support at Xotic PC (where I bought the laptop) did not think rolling back the VBIOS to that version would affect the problem I am having which only occurs when the Intel driver is installed....

0 Kudos
CCris2
New Contributor II

There is new bios dated 2 days ago

And the VBIOS is from: 2016-03-02 -- that is if your video card has 4GB

VBIOS is video bios, and Bios is for mainboard.

Before you do a bios or vbios update please read carefully the instructions for compatibility.

It seems that it is probably a mistake on the name of the video card, the 4GB gtx 960M is in fact a gtx 965M.

0 Kudos
MEric1
Beginner

Thanks again! I actually have the 2GB GTX 960M.

I may as well update the BIOS again, but if the only change is fixing the incorrect marketing name for the GTX 965M (which I don't even have), then I doubt it is related to this issue that many others are also having with Intel drivers, specifically corrupted graphics in Firefox.

0 Kudos