Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20626 Discussions

Intel HD 530 driver disables brightness controls

ACarl7
Beginner

I have a Gigabyte Aero 14 (skylake) with the Intel HD 530 and Nvidia GTX1060.

It appears the latest drivers are supposed to help fix an issue with stutters/freezing that we have on optimus machines, but the latest drivers released completely disable brightness controls for the screen. I have tried the fixes that suggest changing the monitor type in device manager but there are no options to change there. Reverting to the driver that is built in to Windows 10 1703 (21.20.16.4526 dated 9/23/2016) allows brightness controls to work again.

Not sure how to submit information or try to get this logged with intel as a bug so they can look into it. If I need to take any other steps here please let me know!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ACarl7
Beginner

I used windows update to go to driver version 22.20.16.4836 dated 10/17/2017 and brightness controls no longer work.

Installed the latest driver from the Intel site win64_15.65.5.4982 showing version 23.20.16.4982 in device manager with date 3/8/2018 brightness controls do not work.

0 Kudos
ACarl7
Beginner

I have verified with another user who has the kaby lake version of this laptop with HD 630 graphics, and they have no brightness control issues on the latest driver. It appears to be limited to the 530.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bruor

I was checking your case and would like to know if you need further help. If so, please do not hesitate in replying back.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
ACarl7
Beginner

I'm living with the micro freezes for the rest of time that I have this laptop I suppose.

Gigabyte says to use their old driver and you guys have no interest in looking into this one so I'm stuck

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bruor

Thank you for your response.

Allow me to share with you that in the case of laptops the manufacturer adds the comparability and features for the video cards on the drivers that the built for the system, once you use a generic driver the comparability and features of the graphics may disable the features add on the driver built for your system in this case the brines controller.

I recommend presenting the situation with the OEM for them to replicate the scenario.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bruor

Thank you for joining the community.

Looking into your case I see that you a Gigabyte Aero 14 laptop, allow me to share with you that the drivers on our Intel® download center will be the generic driver for your Intel® HD graphics 530 controllers, in this case, these drivers don't have all the features added by the manufacturer that has built the driver 21.20.16.4526 to your system.

Regards,

Leonardo C.

0 Kudos