Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 5500 Not Working

JRowe2
Beginner

My display driver "Intel HD Graphics 5500" has basically stopped working. My computer is a Lenovo T450s. When it is enabled, it makes the screen go crazy (hard to describe), and it is usable but just barely. I can disable the driver and the issue stops. So far, the only problem I've noticed with the driver disabled is that I cannot adjust the brightness, but there are probably more issues that I don't know about yet.

My computer is completely up to date, with both Windows and Lenovo updates. I have deleted and reinstalled the driver multiple times (including old versions) but every time the same issue reappears. I have no idea what to do next. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I can give more information about my system/drivers if needed.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello jrosox,

I understand that you are getting problems when having the Intel ® Integrated Graphics enabled.

Regarding this, I would like to recommend a clean installation of the driver first. This can be done by following the steps below:

1 - Download the .zip driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=86210 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=86210

2 - Disconnect the computer from the internet.

3 - Go to device manager and check under display adapters.

4 - Right-click on the Intel ® Integrated Graphics, select the option uninstall and keep going until you only have Microsoft's basic display adapter.

5 - Unzip the file you downloaded previously.

6 - Right-click on the Microsoft's basic display adapter and select "Update driver".

7 - Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software.

8 - Select the option "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

9 - Select the option "Have disk".

10 - Select the option "Browse".

11 - Access the designated location or folder where you unzipped the driver downloaded and access a folder called "Graphics".

12 - Select the setup information file (Typically named either "idglh64" or "igdlh").

13 - Click on open and then click OK, finally click Next and the drivers will begin to install.

14 - Reboot your computer when the installation is completed.

After following these steps, the screen should be fine and with no errors; however, if you do get errors, please either take a picture or video of the problem and attach it to this thread.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JRowe2
Beginner

Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, I tried installing from the zip file and the same issue occurred. I have also tired rolling back the driver and using a previous version, and I have even wiped the computer and done a fresh install of Windows. At this point, I believe it is a hardware problem. I have attached a link to a quick video showing what happens when the driver is enabled. Thanks for the help and let me know if you have any ideas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBBN9I0-oBA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBBN9I0-oBA

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jrosox,

Thank you for your response.

I want to try the following:

1 -Disconnect the computer from the internet.

2 - Go to device manager and check under display adapters.

3 - Right-click on the Intel ® Integrated Graphics, select the option uninstall and keep going until you only have Microsoft's basic display adapter. (If possible, do this while the integrated graphics is enabled to see if the flickering disappears when the drivers are uninstalled).

Once these steps have been followed, make sure that the basic display adapter is enabled and check if the issue happens when using only the Microsoft* Basic Display Adapter. Make sure to have it enabled and see if the flickering or flashing of the screen is still present.

If not, please let me know.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JRowe2
Beginner

If I have the device enabled and it is uninstalled, the flickering stops. I have been running Microsoft Basic Display Adapter for a few days now and have noticed no issues.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jrosox,

Thank you for your response.

Now that it has been enabled and it is working fine, please attempt to do a driver update without disabling it to see if the issue persists when doing so. You can refer to the steps provided below:

1 - Download the .zip driver from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-%3Fproduct%3D86210 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27780/Graphics-Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-15-40-?product=86210

2 - Unzip the file to a designated location or folder.

3 - Right-click Windows Start icon and open Device Manager.

4 - Click Yes when prompted for permission from User Account Control.

5 - Expand the Display adapters section.

6 - Right-click the Intel® graphics entry and select Update Driver Software.

7 - Click "Browse my computer for driver software".

8 - Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".

9 - Click "Have Disk".

10 - Click "Browse".

11 - Access the designated location or folder, and access a folder called "Graphics".

12 - Select the file called "igdlh64" or "igdlh".

13 - Click Open, then click OK, and finally click Next. Drivers are now being installed.

14 - Reboot your computer

Let me know the outcome please.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello jrosox,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

Were you able to re-install the driver?

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
JRowe2
Beginner

Unfortunately, it appears my graphics card dying was a warning sign of my motherboard going bad. My motherboard is now dead and the computer will not start. I'm in the process of getting a new laptop. Thank you for your help

0 Kudos
MJaco7
Beginner

Unfortunately my T450S is doing the *exact* same thing shown in his youtube video, and I've gone through the exact steps you've mentioned in trying to fix the problem. It's surprising to me that it's a "general" motherboard issue, since it's particular to the operation of the HD 5500 graphics and nothing else.

I've run all the Lenovo diagnostics, and they all say everything's fine. Any other ideas? Thank you-

Mike Jacoubowsky

0 Kudos
MJaco7
Beginner

Thanks for the video; mine is doing EXACTLY the same thing. It was hard to come up with a useful way to describe it for google searches. It's been a FANTASTIC computer up to now. Warranty expired a few months ago, of course (bought a 3 year warranty with it, which was never once used).

How much time before yours went 100% dead?

Thanks- Mike Jacoubowsky

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mikej@chainreaction.com,

Thank you for joining this Intel Community.

When did this issue begin? You may experience this issue if you install Windows* 10 April 2018 Update.

Please run the Intel® System Support Utility and attach the report to this thread to take a look at your system configuration.

1.Download the Intel® System Support Utility and save the application to your system.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

2.Open the application and click Scan to see system and device information. The Intel® System Support Utility defaults to the Summary View on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says summary to change to Detailed View.

3.To save your scan, click Next and click Save. You can save the file to any accessible location on your computer.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PZand
Beginner

I have a very similar issue with my Lenovo Thinkpad T450. Reverting back to the Microsoft driver fixes the issue but as soon as I update with the Intel drivers screen flickering starts again. This started to show a little bit a few days ago but has gotten worse to a point where the laptop is unusable.

The issue is persists on the built-in monitor and on external monitors.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello P_Zander,

According to the the product specifications (ThinkPad* T450; T450S), you have 5th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors. 5th Gen platforms, and older, do not require an updated Intel® Graphics Driver. The existing Windows* 10 graphics drivers will continue to work with the April update. We recommend that you revert back to the previous Windows* 10 version or upgrade the platform with a minimum of 6th Generation Processors or better.

You can also refer to the platforms supported by newer graphics driver versions at our https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ Download Center.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
PZand
Beginner

Hi Wanner and thank you for a quick reply.

I updated to the latest version of Windows 10 Insider Build and now it seems to work.

/Patrik

0 Kudos
OKe
Beginner

Hello,

finally hear something positive.

Please tell me what you have done. Lenovo 3, Intel® Core™ i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, and face the same problem for ages.

Am driving crazy over it.

Thank you

0 Kudos
OKe
Beginner

Hello,

finally hear something positive.

Please tell me what you have done. Lenovo 3, Intel® Core™ i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, and face the same problem for ages.

Am driving crazy over it.

Thank you

0 Kudos
OKe
Beginner

Hello,

additional information to what i have done. Updated Bios and graphic driver. Reinstalled win 10 with cleaning all files. Opened the laptop and check on the cables.

The flickering stops as i disable or uninstall the intel graphic adapter driver.

With best Regards

Oliver

0 Kudos
DCuel
Beginner

¡Hello! I'm having the same issue with still no fix. I have an ASUS X555L Laptop. If disable the Intel HD 5500 Driver the flickering stops but I can't visualize correctly some games (very low fps).

I've managed to get the basic display adapter but still need to have it disabled, otherwise windows will update it and return to the flickering.

Have you found any fix to this issue?

Best regards,

0 Kudos
JRowe2
Beginner

Unfortunately, the motherboard of the Lenovo t450s completely died a few weeks after the graphics card went on the fritz, rendering the computer useless. While I cannot say 100% that the issues were connected, it seems logical.

Hopefully this is not the case with your machine.

0 Kudos