Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20493 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics 5500 drivers update screen goes black

Amin81
Beginner

When updating to the latest Intel HD Graphics 5500 drivers my laptop crashes, forcing me to restart and after reboot my screen goes black, please help.

I have tried uninstall/reinstall but, still same issue. I need to update to allow use of my external monitor.

I am using an HP Elitebook 820 G2.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II
Try drivers from this list: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/86210 Hit "show more" button to expose all drivers.
0 Kudos
Amin81
Beginner

I tried 3 different versions

0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II
There is yet another previous version 20.19.15.5058 at HP support page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-820-g2-notebook-pc/7343192 BIOS and firmware for docking station are up-to-date?
0 Kudos
Amin81
Beginner
Bios update but, docking station firmware??
0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Well, it is listed at HP.

So you do have a laptop without docking station?

0 Kudos
Amin81
Beginner
I don't have a docking station
0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

One troublemaker less...

HP also lists AMD graphics drivers.

If you have an additional AMD GPU installed, you could also try different drivers for that, just in case the current AMD driver dislikes the Intel driver.

0 Kudos
Amin81
Beginner
Do you know how I would check if I had an additional GPU?
0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II

Right-click Windows start button, open device manager. It lists all GPUs and other hardware.

Once you are there, check also for "yellow bangs" (triangles with exclamation mark).

0 Kudos
Amin81
Beginner
Only have the one GPU, still no luck. Doesn't matter which version Intell HD graphic drivers I install.
0 Kudos
Stefan3D
Honored Contributor II
0 Kudos
Amin81
Beginner

The new drivers didn't work, still the same problem.

0 Kudos
Amin81
Beginner
Just to clarify, soon as I install the driver drivers, it works for a split second, the starts to flicker then freezes.
0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Amin81, 

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

So we can better assist you, please provide the following: 

1.Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system. 

• Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer 
  • Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View". 
  • To save your scan, click Next and click Save

2. Run the Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool and send the results either in a screenshot or .txt file. To save the report, once the test is done, click on "File >> View Results File" and attach the .txt file to your reply.  

I will send you an e-mail to the e-mail address associated with your community profile. Please reply to the email in order to provide us with the reports to avoid exposing sensitive information in the communities. 

3. You mentioned that the screen of your computer goes back as soon as you update the graphics driver; just to confirm, how do you manage to uninstall/install the different versions if the screen goes black? 

4. Do you remember what was the driver version you had installed before the issue started?   

Regards, 

Sebastian M  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Amin81
Beginner

1. Scan emailed

2. Test emailed

3. Immediately after updating the drivers, my laptop freezes and flickers. So I force a reboot and windows tries to load but, that's I get a black screen. So then I boot into recovery and restore to previous point or boot in safe mode, delete the new drivers then reboot and back to square one.

4. I don't remember sorry

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Amin81,  

We received your internal e-mail but it seems that you did not provide any of the information we requested. 

Can you please check our previous post and reply to our questions? 

Regards,  

Sebastian M   

0 Kudos
Sebastian_M_Intel

Hello Amin81,   

Thank you for your reply. 

I could see that you have contacted us internally already and you are receiving more personalized support. 

In order to avoid duplication of efforts, we will close this inquiry from our side, please refer to the internal case for additional support.  

Regards,   

Sebastian M    

0 Kudos