Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance and optimization
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
16839 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics scaling option missing - Overscan issue

TFurs
Novice

Hello-

I have a Dell Inspiron 3050 PC with Intel HD Graphics chipset (details below) connected via HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma TV. The image appears cropped and all of my other PCs' graphics cards have the the option to scale the display so we can see the entire image. I am running WIn10 1709 with the latest Intel display driver.

- The Intel HD Graphics Control Panel on this system lacks the scaling option (screenshot below)

* It has the "Maintain Display Scaling" which fills the screen but cuts off all of the edges (classic overscan behavior)

* It also has a "Center Image" option which makes the picture much smaller

- I have tried the following

* Setting to "Center Image" and trying the TV's "zoom" option - does not fit the screen correctly (1/4 of the top of the screen is missing)

* Tried all resolutions and refresh rates

* TV does not support a PC signal (no VGA port and this model does not have any overscan PC support at all - confirmed with Panasonic) - TV does not have any driver to provide WIndows 10 or any other OS

** Question **

- Is there anyway to get the horizontal/vertical custom scaling options to be available? That is what I use on my other PCs and HDMI monitors? Not sure why that is not available on this system since there are 2 scaling options available - just not the custom option.

Thanks!

Intel(R) HD Graphics

--------------------------

Device Instance Path

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F31&SUBSYS_07031028&REV_0E\3&11583659&0&10

Class Guid

{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Hardware ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F31&SUBSYS_07031028&REV_0E

Driver Date

12/11/2017

Driver Version

Monitor

--------------------

Panasonic Plasma TV

HDMI input

Does not provide an overscan option to support a PC signal

PC screen is cut-off at the edges (due to overscan)

Works fine with all gaming consoles

MSINFO32

----------

Item Value

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model Inspiron 3050

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU 0703

Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J1800 @ 2.41GHz, 2408 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 9/17/2015

SMBIOS Version 2.8

Embedded Controller Version 0.06

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.

BaseBoard Name Base Board

Platform Role Mobile

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.248"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 7.88 GB

Available Physical Memory 4.83 GB

Total Virtual Memory 8.88 GB

Available Virtual Memory 5.66 GB

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello TF14,

I understand that your Intel ® HD Graphics control panel is not displaying the option to change the scaling custom.

Regarding this, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

TFurs
Novice

Hello - The DXDiag log is attached. Also, the monitor is a Panasonic Plasma which has a recommended resolution of 720p. It can take a 1080p signal but the Intel graphics properties utility removes all options under scaling when running at 1080p (i.e., Maintain Display Scaling and Center Image are removed as options) - which is why I run this at 720p. This TV also has legacy gaming systems attached to it and they all scale correctly (e.g., Xbox 360/PS3). Only the PC has the overscan issue. Thanks!

idata
Community Manager

Hello TF14,

Thank you for your response,

I was reviewing the information you provided and I was able to find that the graphics controller that you have is the one for Atom* processors. Those controllers do not support the custom scaling options.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, however I would like you to take a look at the following thread. It is a thread for feed back and features that you would like to see in the future. I cannot promise 100% they will be implemented in the near future, however it is a way to mention your discomfort with the lack of scaling being custom.

/thread/112438 Intel wants to hear your feedback!

Regards,

David V
idata
Community Manager

Hello TF14,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
TFurs
Novice

Hello- Thanks for the update! One last question, is there any override that would enable custom scaling or is that capability not available because the chipswt lacks it?

Thanks again!

idata
Community Manager

Hello TF14,

Thank you for your response,

I was checking the information and in this case with our graphics properties there is no way to do a custom scaling. I apologize.

Regards,

David V
TFurs
Novice

Thank you! We can close the case.

JBlak3
Beginner

Ran into this problem, the latest driver did not support adjusting the height/width of the HDMI output. Luckily, the DisplayPort output fit great! Display port to HDMI worked great on my TV.

Thanks,

jason