Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20498 Discussions

Intel HD Graphics scaling option missing - Overscan issue

TFurs
Novice

Hello-

I have a Dell Inspiron 3050 PC with Intel HD Graphics chipset (details below) connected via HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma TV. The image appears cropped and all of my other PCs' graphics cards have the the option to scale the display so we can see the entire image. I am running WIn10 1709 with the latest Intel display driver.

- The Intel HD Graphics Control Panel on this system lacks the scaling option (screenshot below)

* It has the "Maintain Display Scaling" which fills the screen but cuts off all of the edges (classic overscan behavior)

* It also has a "Center Image" option which makes the picture much smaller

- I have tried the following

* Setting to "Center Image" and trying the TV's "zoom" option - does not fit the screen correctly (1/4 of the top of the screen is missing)

* Tried all resolutions and refresh rates

* TV does not support a PC signal (no VGA port and this model does not have any overscan PC support at all - confirmed with Panasonic) - TV does not have any driver to provide WIndows 10 or any other OS

** Question **

- Is there anyway to get the horizontal/vertical custom scaling options to be available? That is what I use on my other PCs and HDMI monitors? Not sure why that is not available on this system since there are 2 scaling options available - just not the custom option.

Thanks!

Intel(R) HD Graphics

--------------------------

Device Instance Path

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F31&SUBSYS_07031028&REV_0E\3&11583659&0&10

Class Guid

{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Hardware ID

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F31&SUBSYS_07031028&REV_0E

Driver Date

12/11/2017

Driver Version

Monitor

--------------------

Panasonic Plasma TV

HDMI input

Does not provide an overscan option to support a PC signal

PC screen is cut-off at the edges (due to overscan)

Works fine with all gaming consoles

MSINFO32

----------

Item Value

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer Dell Inc.

System Model Inspiron 3050

System Type x64-based PC

System SKU 0703

Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU J1800 @ 2.41GHz, 2408 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A06, 9/17/2015

SMBIOS Version 2.8

Embedded Controller Version 0.06

BIOS Mode UEFI

BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.

BaseBoard Name Base Board

Platform Role Mobile

Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS

System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.248"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB

Total Physical Memory 7.88 GB

Available Physical Memory 4.83 GB

Total Virtual Memory 8.88 GB

Available Virtual Memory 5.66 GB

0 Kudos
8 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello TF14,

I understand that your Intel ® HD Graphics control panel is not displaying the option to change the scaling custom.

Regarding this, to better assist you with your request, I will need to check some information about your computer. Please follow these steps:

1. In the keyboard, press WinLogo key + R.

2. In the Run box please type dxdiag and hit Enter.

3. Click on Save All Information (save it in your desktop).

4. Attach the report to this thread.

Regards,

David V

0 Kudos
TFurs
Novice

Hello - The DXDiag log is attached. Also, the monitor is a Panasonic Plasma which has a recommended resolution of 720p. It can take a 1080p signal but the Intel graphics properties utility removes all options under scaling when running at 1080p (i.e., Maintain Display Scaling and Center Image are removed as options) - which is why I run this at 720p. This TV also has legacy gaming systems attached to it and they all scale correctly (e.g., Xbox 360/PS3). Only the PC has the overscan issue. Thanks!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TF14,

Thank you for your response,

I was reviewing the information you provided and I was able to find that the graphics controller that you have is the one for Atom* processors. Those controllers do not support the custom scaling options.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, however I would like you to take a look at the following thread. It is a thread for feed back and features that you would like to see in the future. I cannot promise 100% they will be implemented in the near future, however it is a way to mention your discomfort with the lack of scaling being custom.

/thread/112438 Intel wants to hear your feedback!

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TF14,

I am following up with your case and see that we have not heard back from you.

If you need more assistance do not hesitate to reply.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TFurs
Novice

Hello- Thanks for the update! One last question, is there any override that would enable custom scaling or is that capability not available because the chipswt lacks it?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello TF14,

Thank you for your response,

I was checking the information and in this case with our graphics properties there is no way to do a custom scaling. I apologize.

Regards,

David V
0 Kudos
TFurs
Novice

Thank you! We can close the case.

0 Kudos
JBlak3
Beginner

Ran into this problem, the latest driver did not support adjusting the height/width of the HDMI output. Luckily, the DisplayPort output fit great! Display port to HDMI worked great on my TV.

Thanks,

jason

0 Kudos