Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20599 Discussions

Intel HD4400 4k @ 60hz

ABeck2
Beginner

I have a Dell Optiplex 9020 with an Intel 4400 HD integrated graphics card. From everything I understand, 4K @ 60hz should be entirely possible with this computer. I'm getting "exceeds bandwidth" when trying to move to 4k @ 60hz. 4k @ 30hz and 1080p at 60 work fine.

I have looked in the Intel Graphics Control Panel - see below. According to my processor, this shouldn't be a problem.

This clearly shows the supported resolutions of the monitor I'm attaching (a Denon AVRS receiver capable of 4k @ 60Hz).

I'm using Intel's graphics drivers for the 4400 (but I've tried Microsoft's generic, Intel's generic, etc). The screenshots were taken while using Driver v 20.19.15.5058. I've since tried some other versions but none of them get me past the dreaded "exceeds bandwidth".

I'm going DP out > HDMI via an adapter cable. All my cables are 4k high speed rated for 4k @ 60Hz. I've tried one adapter cable, and one adapter with an HDMI cable (two actually) and the results are the same. Though I haven't "verified" the cables with any other sources or components, I can't seem to figure out what else the problem would be.

0 Kudos
25 Replies
ALian7
Novice

Hi, Intel Products back then did not support HDMI 2.0.

Although you can get it work under Linux but I don't think it is a documented usage.

The only way you can have a stable 4K@60Hz connection is that you find a TV with a native DP port and configure it with DP 1.2 or higher.

ABeck2
Beginner

Thanks for the input. I've conceded that this probably won't ultimately work the way I intended it to, so it'll be chocked up to a loss of the 100 bucks I spend on the rig used off Newegg. Not the end of the world. Someday I'll build a *real* HTPC rig.

0 Kudos
ajmead
Beginner

Using an Active DP 1.2 -> HDMI 2.0 Cable on the 9020M will work, however you will need to create a custom resolution. HDMI 2.0 Supports 600 Mcps (pixels /s) pixel clock. DP 1.2 can only push 540 Mcps. Your TV is likely reporting a supported resolution using standard timing which will require ~594 MHz because it thinks it's connected to an HDMI 2.0 source.

Download CRU:

https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Unzip and run CRU.

Make sure the correct display is selected (list at the top).

Under Extension blocks (Bottom right section) add new Extension block,

Select Type DisplayID,

Add...

Detailed resolutions,

Add...

Timing: Automatic - LCD Reduced

Type in your UHD resolution 3840 x 2160

Ensure 60Hz is selected

(Optional) Check Native checkbox

Note that the pixel clock is ~533 Mhz

OK

OK

OK

(If you have issues) Delete Default Extension Block

Hit OK to close CRU

run restart or restart64 on 64bit OS to restart the display driver.

If the display comes back ok then continue to intel graphics utility to select "3840x2160" 60Hz, otherwise press F8 to revert and go to CRU to try again.

If your display supports audio you can add that support in CRU in a CEA-861 extension block as well just add it in the extension blocks list.

McMuckle
Beginner
Signed up just to say thanks for the above post. Got my HD4400 working in 4k@60hz when previously I could only get 4k@30hz. I know the TV supported 4k@60hz as my fire TV stick 4k and my surface pro 4 with mini dp to hdmi adapter all show 3860x2160@60hz on HDMI1 input. My tiny PC (Lenovo m93) with HD4400 gfx and Display Port connector using a Display Port to HDMI cable only gave @30hz. Thinking it was the cable, I bought a display port to mini display port adapter in order to use with my existing connections that worked on the Surface Pro. **bleep**, still at @30hz. Googled and came across this thread and above post and now working @60hz. Bravo ajmead and ToastyX.

Interestingly, this still won't give me @60hz using the display port to hdmi cable. CUR reports the detected monitor supports 3860x2160@60hz with this cable, just doesn't display it at anything other than @30hz.

Using the dp -> mini dp -> mini dp -> hdmi cable, this only reports the monitor support 3840x2160@30Hz, but adding the ajmead extension block settings and at last I have 4k @60hz. Would have been nice to have just a single cable between Lenovo and screen, but I'll live with that. 4k@30hz for desktop use is horrible to work with.
0 Kudos
ajmead
Beginner

Thanks McMuckle, glad it helped someone out; after all that effort figuring out how to finally get 4k60 I ended up using that 9020m as a pfSense firewall anyway so ended up being kinda pointless in my situation.

Really though it's mostly ToastyX's effort...

0 Kudos