Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20499 Discussions

Intel Iris Plus Graphics causing screen flickering in games

DannZuko
Beginner

As stated above, from the day I have gotten this laptop back in October, it has had this flickering problem when I tried to play certain games on it. I have since upgraded the hard drive and ram after finding out the problem, so I know that might not be a problem. I've tried changing game settings and properties around for certain games and find that having some in windowed mode removed the flickering problem, but only for some. This was not a problem on my old laptop, which is about 9 years old now. I just want to fix the problem here as I am kind of at a loss right now.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
AlHill
Super User

So the Intel support engineers can have more information about your system, Download, run, and save the results of this utility as a text file:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility

Then ATTACH the text file using the instructions under the reply window ( Drag and drop here or browse files to attach ).

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)

0 Kudos
DannZuko
Beginner

Here's the results

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello DannZuko, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

I just wanted to check if the issue with the screen flickering in games persists and if you still need assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
DannZuko
Beginner
Yes I still need assistance with the flickering in games issue
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

DannZuko, Thnak you very much for your response.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this matter, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The flickering problem, does it happens with all the games or just with one specific game?

Just to let you know, we recommend to install the graphics driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked in HP's web site for the model showing in the SSU report, which is HP Laptop 17-by3xxx, but that specific model is not showing on their web site, I found drivers for HP Notebook - 17-bs011dx, that might be similar, please try a clean installation following the instructions below of Graphis driver version 23.20.16.4973 Rev.L:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-17-bs000-laptop-pc/15551424/model/16901652/swItemId/ob-213599-2

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057389/graphics.html

If the problem persists after, then try a clean installation once again this time of Intel® Generic Graphics driver version 27.20.100.9168:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30148/Intel-Graphics-Windows-10-DCH-Drivers

Do you know the specific model of your laptop?

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results and if the issue remains, please provide the SSU report that reflects the updates done, so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
DannZuko
Beginner
This computer is brand new, just got it last December.
The flickering in games was always an issue since taking it out the box.
Because of the issue, I have upped the ram to 16gb and upgraded the hard drive to a 1tb Seagate Barracuda a while back, since I thought maybe one of those was the issue.
The flickering happens in multiple games, it could be objects that are supposed to be windows or glass appearing opaque and flickering, or maybe the game staggers, or just regular menu screens flickering when I move the mouse over words/options to click on.
These were all problems before I changed any hardware.
0 Kudos
DannZuko
Beginner
0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

DannZuko, Thank you very much for providing that information.

I looked in HP's website for the Graphics driver validated and customized them and I can see that there are also Nvidia drivers available which indicate that the computer might be working with a hybrid graphics controller. 

The latest Intel® Graphics driver they have available is version 27.20.100.8280 Rev.S, please try a clean installation of that driver and once you get the chance please let us know the results, if the problem persists please provide an updated SSU report:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-17-by3000-laptop-pc-series/32796716/model/34370398/swItemId/ob-253251-1

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
DannZuko
Beginner

i uninstalled the driver but when i went to reinstall the new driver it said it was not supported on this OS (10.0.19042)

0 Kudos
DannZuko
Beginner

the hp drivers were not installing so i did try installing the intel driver instead, which did work. but the problem unfortunately did still exist. 

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

DannZuko, Thank you very much for letting us know those details and providing an updated SSU report.

We will continue with our research on this matter, as soon as I get any updates I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello DannZuko, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case, we consider that the problem could be related to the games themselves and the Direct X version they need to run properly, based on the fact that some of them work fine in windowed mode and with your old laptop.

Could you please provide the name of the games?

Please read the information on the link below and follow the troubleshooting steps showing in there, once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000030981.html

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello DannZuko, I just wanted to check if the information posted previously was useful for you and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello DannZuko, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

We recommend to get in contact directly with the game developers for further suggestions on this topic since the problem could be related to the games themselves and the Direct X version they need to run properly.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos