Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel (R) HD Graphics 530 is limiting the refreshing of monitor

Tubbythebear
Beginner

I recently purchased an ACER VG272U P. it is capable of 144Hz. I have the dell Inspiron 7559 and the schematics state that the HDMI port is 1.4a  and is capable of 1920x1080 120Hz but I seems that the 530 isn't even allowing it to reach that. 

As a work around, I went into the Graphics command center and created a custom resolution of 1920x1080 95Hz. This is the limit and it seems that it won't go any higher. There is a problem with this solution though, it causes the display signal to become unstable and my monitor starts to turn off and on. 

Is there anyway that I could fix this problem? I want to be able to at least do 1920x1080 120Hz.

please help

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello @Tubbythebear

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

After checking the information, this seems to be a combination of a "hardware and bandwidth" limitation from both the computer's HDMI port and the Monitor. Please allow us to explain the following facts:

The Intel® HD Graphics 530 Controller and the graphics driver support a Max Resolution over HDMI 1.4 of 4096x2304@24Hz. When bandwidth and system configuration allow it, the GPU will display any resolution equal or lower than the Max Resolution supported by the processor that is also supported by the display. In this scenario, the Intel® Graphics Command Center will show the Display Modes supported by the monitor under the available "Resolution and Refresh rate" drop-down menus.

Just for clarification purposes, Display Modes is the combination of display settings consisting of an active pixel resolution (width and height), refresh rate, and color quality/depth. (Example: 1600x1200x60Hz @ 16bpp).

Having said that, it seems that the display only has one Display Mode supporting 144Hz, and the other Modes only support refresh rates of 60Hz, 70Hz, 75Hz. As per the User's Manual for the monitor ACER* NITRO VG272UP, we only see that 144Hz is supported for this Display Mode "2560x1440@144Hz"; and for 1920x1080 it only lists 60Hz as supported. This would explain why Refresh rates of 144/120Hz are not available for usage with Resolution 1920x1080.

On the other hand, for HDMI* 1.4, the Max. Effective Bandwidth is 8.16 Gbps, and considering that 2560×1440@144Hz requires 15.93 Gbps for bandwidth, this would explain why the Display Mode supporting 144Hz cannot be selected.

Basically, 144Hz refresh rate with 1920x1080p resolution (or higher) can only be achieved with any of the following outputs due to bandwidth requirements, and the desired "Display Mode" must be supported by the display:

1. HDMI 2.0
  2. DisplayPort 1.2

We also understand that you tried setting a Custom Resolution but this leads to an issue with the monitor turning off and on. It is worth mentioning that if you received an error or issues when using a "Custom Resolution", it could be because the new resolution or mode exceeds the bandwidth limit supported on the particular chipset.

Using the Custom Resolutions/Modes feature requires knowledge of the supported timing standards and parameters of your monitor.

Important Note: Changing modes may:

• Reduce system stability and useful life of the system and chipset
  • Cause the chipset and other system components to fail
  • Reduce computer performance
  • Cause extra heat or other damage
  • Affect system data integrity

We haven't tested and don't warranty the operation of the chipset beyond normal specifications.

In this case, our recommendation is to contact the monitor manufacturer to confirm the supported Display/Video modes and to check with them in case you would like to try a Custom Resolution so they can provide you with proper guidance. For your convenience, here is the link to Acer* Support.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Tubbythebear

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel
Employee

Hello Tubbythebear

We have not heard back from you so we will proceed to close this thread now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos