Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20623 Discussions

Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 driver is missing/not working

AAlha4
Beginner

I have a MSI GT62VR 7RE Dominator Pro laptop with Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor. I used to have the option to choose which graphics processor I prefer in NVIDIA Control Panel, but now I can only choose my GTX 1070.

Screenshot_2.png

I tried Installing "Intel® Graphics - Windows® 10 DCH Drivers" version (25.20.100.6444) but every time I run it I get an error message.

Screenshot_1.png

I tried manually installing the driver and it didn't work

Screenshot_3.png

After that I restarted my computer and used "Intel® Driver & Support Assistant" to scan my computer for drivers and it detected the driver but it is offline

Screenshot_4.png

1 Reply
n_scott_pearson
Super User

In laptops with hybrid graphics (i.e. both Intel HD Graphics and AMD/NVIDIA HD Graphics solutions), you should only use versions of the drivers that are made available via your laptop vendors website. Why? There are two important reasons:

1. Only the versions of the drivers made available by the vendors will have been validated to ensure that they work properly on this particular laptop.
  2. Only one of the graphics solution can be active at anyone point in time. The generic drivers from Intel and AMD/NVIDIA do not have support for switching between solutions. The vendor is responsible for modifying the drivers to support switching between solutions (and any other hardware-specific features included in the design). Only the driver made available by the vendor will have proper support. Thus, installing the generic drivers from Intel or AMD/NVIDIA will result in the overall solution not working properly.

Hope this helps,

...S