Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20590 Discussions

Intel UHD Graphics 630 (I suspect) causes my screen to randomly black screen and many more.

adriem912
New Contributor I
I was experiencing random black screen, flickering items except the video on the screen or the video pauses and all the items are black except the photo of the video (video paused) while watching videos or having a meeting using video communications platform. I was able to fix the issue atleast for Chrome, Edge and Firefox by disabling Hardware acceleration with the effect of slow startup of the web browsers. So I just reverted my settings. So I just suffered of the issue than slowing down my web browsing experience. It is annoying but the issue is not taking longer than 10 seconds.

I mean of video paused the video is still playing (hearing audio) but appearing paused on my monitor like a static image. And other than the static image looking thing the whole Windows UI including the taskbar is black.

Failed Solutions Tried:
1.) Uninstalled the Graphics Driver. Trying all the drivers from (OEM) Asus Support Page.
2.) Tried almost all the Drivers on Intel from 2019, 2020, Mid 2020 and 2021 that failed.
3.) Let Windows Install the drivers, obviously unistalled the drivers first.
4.) Disabled Hardware Acceleration on the programs that offer to disable it (Reverted due to poor performance)

I am using an Asus Ex-H310M V3 R2.0 on an Intel I5-9400, with no any graphics controller other than Intel UHD Graphics 630 and with 8GB of DDR4-2666 RAM.

Driver Version: As mentioned I switched a lot of versions, but now the latest from the Intel DCH Page.

For additional Info I experienced a BSOD for the first time using the computer with the stop code of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. But the Bsod never happened again.

Is the BSOD possibly related to my current issues as the issue happened first (Flickering Black Items instead of the UI only video paused left.)?

Intrestingly, I record in Zoom what happens if I experienced the problem but Zoom recorded no black UI with video only left. I think the issue is weird.

Any can help me fix this super annoying issue?
0 Kudos
1 Solution
adriem912
New Contributor I
I was able to fix the issue by forgetting the Intel UHD Graphics uninstalled its graphics drivers and installed a new graphics card.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
29 Replies
adriem912
New Contributor I

We have same issue before. Just try the fix I done.

0 Kudos
yahbot49
Beginner

The M80q is a TINY (5x7) PC so there is no possibilty of Adding a 2nd card.  As for swapping drivers I restorted to using the Microsoft Basic Display adapter and still had the same issues.  As I stated above this issue began with the forced upgrade to Win10 21H2.  So can you think of anything else ?

0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I
There is a way turning back to an older version of Windows 10. Before we continue can you verify that the Windows.OLD Folder is still present in the C Drive. Another check if the upgrade is within 30days, if not there is a big chance of no turning back to an older version of Windows 10. Maybe something goes wrong when you upgrade.

Try this methods if the first method is unavailable, to fix any problems during the upgrade.

Run CMD/PowerShell on Administrator and type this commands:

sfc /scannow
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

And then restart and exit. If that did not work, Reinstall or Reset your PC.

Warning: Resetting or Reinstalling Windows will make you lose all of your data and apps. Backup them before doing so. I will not be liable in case you do this without any proper backup.
0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I
Another thing I guess is that some program, driver or service. is causing the issue. Other than the Windows 10 upgrade do you do anything else before and after?
0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I
If you install something that may conflict, try performing a safe boot.

Here is a full guide:
https://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10/
0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I
If DISM/SFC Cannot fix the issue can you try upgrading again to the same version by Media Creation Tool. This will not delete anything, just make sure to select to keep apps and files before clicking Next and Next. That will change system files and reload drivers.
0 Kudos
adriem912
New Contributor I

If all did not work, I have a suspection that my suspection is real that Intel UHD is causing the issue, like happened to me before until I put a GPU. If ever that the Intel UHD is not the problem, may be it will be the monitor, cable and the refresh rate. Try changing them too just to see.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

@yahbot49,

These d@mned Windows 10 upgrades cause *so* many problems - but this is not one of the typical ones. So, I have two suggestions,

1. If you are not already down to the MS basic display driver, uninstall the existing graphics driver package. Then, install the version of the graphics driver that Lenovo supplies on their web site for this PC. It will probably be ancient, but shouldn't have this problem.
  2. If #1 didn't work and it was me - but understand that I do it all the time anyway - I would try reinstalling Windows 10 (21H2) from scratch. No guarantee that this will make a difference, however.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
sshah254
Beginner

@yahbot49 - get the program called "ThrottleStop" - it tells you the processor state.  Also get "HWmonitor" and log the CPU state.  You'll need "Prime95" also, to induce "turbo boost".

For us whenever the screen would go blank, the CPU was going into the "turbo boost" mode.  We were able to disable that from the BIOS and no more screen flickers after that.

It just maybe that the win update has libraries that do way more math calculation and hence need the "turbo boost" under certain conditions, which the processor provides.  But if the board is not designed correctly, then during the time when it is in turbo boost mode, the screen goes blank; comes back to normal when it drops out of turbo boost.

For our analysis, we lucked out in figuring this because we were connected to the test machine (where the screen would blank) via TeamViewer (remote monitoring).  When the screen blanks, of course one cannot see anything, but one could via TeamViewer.

We also changed cables, and drives, and all that - nothing helped.  We are on Win 10 IoT, not the 21H2 (1908 I think).

Good Luck!

0 Kudos