Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel UHD Graphics 630 works slow with OpenGL 4.6

Majs
Beginner

Hello!
Could you please help me with the following issues.
The software for 3D rendering becomes extremely slow when try to use OpenGL 4.6 with Intel UHD Graphics 630. It takes a lot of time to redraw the model. The features like rotating, translating, zooming are extremely slow.

If I use older opengl32.dll (with openGL 1.1) it works fine, but if I try to use opengl32.dll from C\Windows\System32
it works slow. The version of OpenGL is 4.6.

I did the following :

- updated Windows 10
- tried with driver 27.20.100.9313 (BETA), 27.20.100.9168, 27.20.100.8783.
- followed procedure from Intel support:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000036462/graphics/graphics-for-5th-generation-intel-processors.html
- tested the 3D software on several GPU cards (Radeon RX 480 GPU,GTX-580, GTX 1080, RTX 3080) and it works fine.

The processor I use is: Intel (R) Core(TM) i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Majs, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before with OpenGL version 4.6?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

Which Windows* version are you using?

What is the 3D application that you use for rendering, did you check the system requirements of it?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, please check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Majs
Beginner

Albert,

Thanks for your reply.

More information about the computer and problem are given below:

Motherboard:

Dell Inc, Model: 0CVWRM

Laptop model: Dell Inc, Model: G3 3590

There are two GPU cards:

• Intel UHD 630 Graphics – used for display
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti with Max-Q - used for EM simulation (matrix inversion mainly).

It is a new computer. The problem occurs on all computers with Intel UHD 630 we have.

OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, Version: 10.0.19042 Build 19042

The problem starts when I tried to upgrade the version of OpenGL. I used very old version of opengl32.dll for a long time. It was OpenGL 1.1 version generated by Microsoft Corp. (OpenGL version 1.1 from 1999).  If I try to run this opengl32.dll I got Access violation at address XXXXXX in module opengl32.dll.  Is there a way to overcome this problem?

After that, I tried to use system’s opengl32.dll. By doing so, there is no access violation but the application works slow.

The application works very fast with NVIDIA card (opengl 4.6) and even with Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (it uses opengl 1.1) .

It is in-house build application for drawing 3D models like sphere, cylinder, cube. It uses basic openGL routines.

I am looking for solution. If you have any idea please let me know.

SSU.txt file is attached. 

Regards!

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Majs, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Just to let you know, the resolution that we currently are supporting for applications is 30 FPS (Frames Per Seconds) with 720 or 1080 for some of them. Depending on the application being used it may require an external discrete graphics card for the proper functionality of it, as you mentioned when using the Nvidia graphics card there is no problem at all with the application.

Just to confirm, this problem, does it also happen when using a commercially available application that works with OpenGL 4.6?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Majs
Beginner

Dear Albert,

Thank you for your reply.

I haven't tried with different applications.

I have tried the application with different GPU cards. It works faster with Basic Display Adapter then Intel UHD 630 that is a strange for me. But never mind, I will try to speed up the application on Intel cards by changing the source code.

We can close the topic.
Thank you!

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello Majs, You are very welcome, thank you very much for letting us know those details.

Perfect, excellent, it is great to hear that you have the option to speed up the application on Intel® cards by changing the source code in order to fix the problem and for the application to work properly.

Any other inquires, do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos