Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20620 Discussions

Intel UHD Graphics Drops to 5% or lower every few seconds when I alt+tab into a game.

idn_hazel
Beginner

Hello,

So lately I have been experiencing frame drops on my laptop every time I alt+tab from a game to another application then go back to the game. I see that my frames would drop down 30-40FPS and I was wondering why.

I monitor my temps and they do not seem to be the issue, hovering around 70C for my GPU and 50C for my CPU. And of course, with those temps neither of them was throttling. 

However, while I was gaming, I had Task Manager open in the performance tab in the background. And I realize that my Intel UHD Graphics graph was dropping down to 5% and lower every few seconds, and it goes back up to 30-40% after about half a second later. And I think it might be the reason my FPS was dropping.

I do wish my laptop has a MUX Switch to fully use my GPU for my monitor. And for my PC specs, it has an i7-10870H, 16GB (2x8) DDR4 of RAM and a GTX 1660 Ti Discrete GPU.

My drivers are up-to-date and my OS is the latest. I have checked my BIOS and it's running the latest version. Everything seems up to date on my laptop. I also reinstalled my GPU driver and that did not fix the issue.

Also, it's probably worth mentioning that this happens after I upgraded my OS to Windows 11 from Windows 10. I do not recall experiencing dropped frames when I alt+tab into a game when my laptop was running Windows 10.

Is there a fix to this problem? Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello idn_hazel,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

In order to have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• What is the game with issues?
  • Does the FPS drop only occur when using the alt´+tab option? Do you experience any other performance issues?
  • Try rolling back the graphics driver to a previous version in case newer drivers are causing the game to crash.
  • Confirm that no other heavy workload programs are running in the background while playing.
  • Open the Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc).
  • Click the CPU and Memory tabs to check whether anything is using up large chunks of your CPU or RAM (for instance, a web browser with many tabs open).
  • Since your system is also using an Nvidia GTX 1660 Ti Discrete GPU, contact Nvidia in order to get optimal configurations.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello idn_hazel,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello idn_hazel,

I hope you are doing fine.

I have not heard back from you. So I will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos